Mark V resistor blowing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubasteve319

Reaction score
Hey all, I am fairly new to tube amplifiers and really enjoy my Mark V. Gets all the tones that I like for my style, definately the best decision I have made.

I took my V into a mesa dealer today of what I feel is a resistor blowing and amp smoking... Has anyone else experienced these problems? I was informed by the repair guy that Mesa's are notorious for this. I was playing it for about 6 months and havn't pushed it over 12 oclock on any modes.

Not sure if I should continue to worry about this or if it is a standard issue. :?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Get it fixed and don't worry.

Mesas are very reliable. I've owned several since 1988 and have never experienced problems. Never.

Repair guys have skewed perspectives. All they see is broken gear.

If, by chance, you have an amp with recurring problems, your warranty should cover it.

Thanks Jedro, I appreciate your input. It's crazy how somethings work for 6 months then just starts smoking up on ya :D

Cheers,
Steve

I've had my Mark V for almost two years now and I haven't had a single issue... even the tubes are still original!

Thanks guys for the input! I should be getting back from the repair expert here shortly.

Is there anyway to prevent such issue from occurring again? The time that it happened was at practice and we were all 3 using the same outlet which I am not sure if that was a cause of the amp trying to pull too much current from the outlet or not. :?

Steve

I just got the amp back yesterday and she plays like a wonder as she did before her inncident. However I am a little skeptical because I don't want it to be a recurring issue (not the original owner of the amp - not sure about the warranty). After the almost 120$ repair I don't want to have it happen again.

Anyway that Mesa could stand behind me on this issue?
:?
Steve

scubasteve319 said:
I just got the amp back yesterday and she plays like a wonder as she did before her inncident. However I am a little skeptical because I don't want it to be a recurring issue (not the original owner of the amp - not sure about the warranty). After the almost 120$ repair I don't want to have it happen again.

Steve
Glad the problem is worked out.

The 5yr warrenty is transferable, but I believe the seller needs to give you the original receipt from when the amp was originally bought at a Mesa Dealer. Give Mesa a call.

A bad power tube can take out screen grid resistors when they fail. Are you using Mesa Branded tubes? Any other brand of tube will void any warrenty claims.

Dom

domct203 said:
scubasteve319 said:

Steve

The 5yr warrenty is transferable, but I believe the seller needs to give you the original receipt from when the amp was originally bought at a Mesa Dealer. Give Mesa a call.

A bad power tube can take out screen grid resistors when they fail. Are you using Mesa Branded tubes? Any other brand of tube will void any warrenty claims.

Dom

None of this should matter.
Mesa knows based on the serial numbers when a particular piece was made.
Therefore they know whether it should be under warranty or not.

The only problem would be if the amp sat in a store for a year or so before being purchased, but that's moot as there were no Mark V's 5 years ago.
Mesa's carry a 5 year warranty.

bjoneill74 said:
domct203 said:
scubasteve319 said:

Steve

Dom

None of this should matter.
Mesa knows based on the serial numbers when a particular piece was made.
Therefore they know whether it should be under warranty or not.

The only problem would be if the amp sat in a store for a year or so before being purchased, but that's moot as there were no Mark V's 5 years ago.
Mesa's carry a 5 year warranty.
While the receipt may not be needed for warrenty, using non-Mesa branded tubes voids your warrenty.

YMMV.

Dom

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it. Here is the situation, I purchased the amp over the internet from a music retailer on the East coast (not entirely sure which retailer it was) but the amp was brought in due to the original owner damaged his hands in a bad car accident proning him unable to use the amp and music all as a whole.

I feel as though Mesa will stand behind me and I want to get a warrenty form from them. I have not used any tubes other than Mesa branded tubes and have only had them replaced at my local dealer since I purchased the amp.

I'll give Mesa a call and see if they can't put my name under the owner of the amp.

I appreciate your input guys, you are a big help and I'm really glad I came and asked you guys your thoughts.

Cheers,
Steve

I apologize in advance for the double post. For those who have been following, I got my Mark V put into my name under warranty. The lady told me that the warranty covers manufacture defects and electronics.

Do you think this issue would have been covered under warranty (if it were to happen again?) :?

Thanks,
Steve

(Be careful SEE below) this is what happened to me I purchased my amp new from Sweetwater 3/2012 started having problems
Thank's to Sweetwaters excellent service and Mesa Boogie's I was refunded the cost for screen resistor repair. Mesa Boogie service guy Richard Duvall was very understanding about my problem. It was taken care of Thank's guys. The Mark V amp is the best I've ever owned' I've had lot's of high end amp's.

Ok just got my amp back problem. Tech had to replace screen resistors tech charged me $251 even though the amp is still under warranty. He told me my tubes kept blowing because there was a bad screen resistor problem. I told him I bought new tubes and they would blow or not work not. Tech said sense it was tube related the repair was not a warrantee. I have had to purchase new Mesa Boogie tubes from Sweetwater thinking the problem was power tubes because my amp was loosing power and making crackle sounds and sometimes not turning on. I dont understand why it was not a warranty repair when the resistor is under warrantee. I was charged for labor and the power tubes. I was charged for $150 for bench and diagnostic test and tubes for a total of $251. At least the bench and diagnostic plus resistor costs should be returned to me. This guy had my amp for about 2 weeks he did not call me I had to call him, then talked about someone else's amp etc, that he had personal problems and could not work on any of the amps. He got angry with me needing mine back and calling about what is going on. Then to make matters worse he said he put "better tubes" in my AMP (matched Quad JJ 6l6gc). I told him I wanted mesa boogie tubes per warrantee requirements. He scratched out my warrantee part of my receipt and charged me $120 for the quad tubes when they only list for $66.00 for all 4. When I got home I looked inside and the tubes are Mesa Boogie tubes…so I don't understand what the heck this guy was doing on paper. I am requesting some money back here! I lost money on my purchases of tubes too!

Back