Mark V Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrickt69

Reaction score
Hi I just purchased a new Mark V I wanted to use this with a G system in stereo so I purchased a 550 Express now here is the question Why does the 550 sound ten times better than the Mark I doon't understand this. The Mark should blow the 550 away I find the Mark thin and tinny sounding on the clean channels I'm following the setup diagram that is on the top of the amp also the sample setups in the manual and still clean the 550 blows it away I have the Mark Head and a 2x12 rectier cab is this maybe a missmatch
My setup to test this is a 2010 Deluxe Strat with the New N3 Pickups and a LE Thin skin 62 RI Strat with 57/62 picups no effects
This is the first Mesa Boogie I have ever owned

I've never played an express, so I couldn't tell you what one is supposed to sound like. I do own a Mark V however and there are many settings on it where it doesn't sound particularly thick... however if does have a lot of midrange and that midrange typically cuts through a mix like a hot knife through butter.

Beyond that, I feel the suggested settings are largely developed around humbuckers... so if you're using single coils it may be worth your while to try upping the gain and bass knobs from what is in the manual. Adding bass is an obvious choice, but adding gain also helps thicken and darken tones while reducing gain brightens the overall sound up.

The suggested settings don't do justice to the amp at all. Try using John Petrucci's posted settings on his website, or try looking at some the settings in settings thread.

A guy on Harmony Central just posted this (a vid made on a Mark IV), and these settings sound awesome on my Mark V as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bdLMs1m10&feature=player_embedded

Look at the video for the graphic EQ settings. Keep the 80 Hz slider up higher than he has it. For the knobs, try Mark IV mode, treble at 3 o'clock, gain up high (4 o'clock), presence around 11, mids at noon (I prefer them at 2 actually), and bass around 9.

Also, many of us here believe this amp is much much better with EL34s instead of 6L6s. In my opinion, EL34s cut off some of the unwanted high end and add fullness to the sound.

Express 5:50 doesnt have a simulclass power amp.. it has a Class A/B power amp.
Class A/B sounds fatter compared to simul-class, i just tried running the mark V through a 50/50 power amp last week (which is also a Class A/B amp) and it cuts off the high end and makes things more chunky.
however, the things get pretty mushy pretty fast.. especially in live situation.
i THINK that tubes wired in pseudo class-a (the lower powered hotter biased pair) add a bit of high end to the equation.
Now, Mark V doesnt really have an option of running it true class a/b. try running the V into the FXloop of 5:50 and vice versa.

Thanks so much for posting some help I have owned mostly Fender amps over the years I tried some of your idea's and I now have a much better sound So Thanks again I still find the Express to be warmer sounding funny how things work

speaking about John Petrucci the Mark V I have is signed by Him Maybe I should have left the settings that where on it or taken a picture I heard later that he had asked for two Mark V's to do the clinic and signed both of them I personally would have peffered zakk wylde but what the heck

Back