mark V powersection question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rispsira

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Did the previous mark IV and 2C+ amps have a similar powersection? or is there any kind of switch on the mark V that will reproduce the powersection of those two amps respectively???

Thanks!!!

they both run simulclass, the 90 watt mode on the new M5. Some IIC+ ran as 60/100 watts, which will not be available, but there is a 45watt class a/b mode on the new M5... which would be the closest thing.

Great! im glad they have similar powersections (for a reason i will not bore you with.....)

Thanks for the info!

dodger916 said:
Don't forget the V's Pentode/Triode switch (which the IV also has). The C+ power section runs in triode.

Good point! Since i know a lot of you still have or had a mark IV, i was wondering how did you run the powersection?
did you prefer the Pentode or triode?
Also in 90 watts mode you can only ude the triode switch right?

rispsira said:
dodger916 said:
Don't forget the V's Pentode/Triode switch (which the IV also has). The C+ power section runs in triode.

Good point! Since i know a lot of you still have or had a mark IV, i was wondering how did you run the powersection?
I prefer pentode on my M4, since it's a little tighter and punchier. I play a lot of metal, so that's a big factor. I would think 90 is pentode only, since it gets more power than triode...

why is it 90 / 45/ 10 watts? It doesnt add up, what might they be changing in the to allow that? If its 90 watts with 2 (a/b) and 2 (a) , then how does it go to only 45 watts for 2 tubes (a/b) .. and then 10 watts for 2 class A? if you paired them together it makes 55 watts.. where do the 35 other watts go to , or come from?

just wondering if anyone knows more about how this really works.

kiff said:
rispsira said:
dodger916 said:

I prefer pentode on my M4, since it's a little tighter and punchier. I play a lot of metal, so that's a big factor. I would think 90 is pentode only, since it gets more power than triode...

Mm good advice ill try pentode then, but i was just wondering if you can duplicate the 2C+ tone with the pentode.. It would suck for me otherwise (if your wondering why i can explain otherwise ill spare u)

All that info is interesting to me because the only experience with mark series i had is the TA so powersection not included.

dmcguitar said:
why is it 90 / 45/ 10 watts? It doesnt add up, what might they be changing in the to allow that? If its 90 watts with 2 (a/b) and 2 (a) , then how does it go to only 45 watts for 2 tubes (a/b) .. and then 10 watts for 2 class A? if you paired them together it makes 55 watts.. where do the 35 other watts go to , or come from?

just wondering if anyone knows more about how this really works.

The same way they get 25 watts out of 2 EL84s in a 5:25! :lol:

From the Boogie Website:

In Simul-Class™, one pair of output tubes is wired in the more efficient, cooler running CLASS A/B PENTODE configuration, which produces the greater portion of power and headroom while running cooler. This was the popular way of wiring amplifiers from about the early ‘60’s forward - chosen for its efficient use of tubes, greater power and reliability (recently a quest for the sweetest low-watt circuits triggered a resurgence of amps wired in CLASS A). The only sonic penalty for its greater power (Class A/B Pentode wiring) is that it can have a tendency to bring forward the harsher odd-order harmonic content. The Simul solution; add a pair of tubes running in the less efficient, but infinitely sweeter CLASS A TRIODE configuration. This style of wiring produces far less power out of a pair of tubes while creating more heat, but it emphasizes the even- order sweeter harmonics and transitions to clip with a soft, rich purring quality like no other.

The MARK 5 presents you with two ways to utilize this power. 90 WATTS combines the two wiring styles to deliver the maximum power and headroom. It is substantially sweeter and warmer, and is little more scooped than a standard 100 Watt amp, yet with plenty of punch and authority. 45 WATTS shuts down the middle pair of output tubes wired in CLASS AB and allows you to operate the output section in just the CLASS A mode for a perfect lower wattage range that clips sweeter and earlier, and yet is still plenty powerful enough to play out in medium sized venues.

Combining these two opposite styles of wiring in one amplifier gives you the best of vintage and modern amplifier styles. Headroom and power are there when you need it… but there is always a naturally pleasing and musically curvaceous quality to the sound that is magic to your ears and to your hands. Simul feels great and is inspiring to play!

And finally, the MULTI-WATT™ feature allows you to switch down to 10 watts of pure CLASS A TRIODE wired in a Single-Ended configuration. This is the ultimate low wattage output section that captures the essence of the best vintage circuits. Here, the 2nd Harmonic (an octave above the note played) is allowed to pass freely through the circuit, putting a magical halo around the notes that shines and rings with beyond-vintage soul.

Sounds reasonable to me.

jbw

Latest posts

Back