****. Mark V out for repair already

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James_E said:
Well the Mark V head that L&M got in exhibits pretty much exactly the same noise as mine. I guess this is the way it is.

Completely unnoticable in band situation... but in my soundproof, deadened room where it is dead quiet, I can hear it. But not over the hum of the little PA I've got in there.

It might be transformer hum. The Nomad I had for a few weeks had really bad transformer hum. My Mark V does not have any noise at all luckily.

FYI - transformer hum stays the same volume/frequency no matter your settings/output volume.

It could be the power as well. My buddies Road King had a crazy noise floor out at his house in his jam room but in my living room 30 miles away on the city grid it was dead quiet.

If you've got access to a really good power conditioner (I'm talking the $500 variety) try isolating your amp from everything else via that and see if that changes it. My Mark V is almost dead silent aside from the fact that V1 is starting to go slightly microphonic (just a hint of residual ringing) so I plan on swapping out the crap mesa tubes for some nice NOS GE's I have laying around that'll last forever.

I've been having a channel 1 problem as well. I play my mark V with a Petrucci with piezo. WIth normal volume, anytime I use the piezo I hear this terrible fwapp sound each time I pick, or pluck a string. You can FORGET about strumming. I've tried my guitar through other amps, so I know that's not the problem. I've swapped each preamp tube to no avail. Looks like I'll be making a recording of the sound and shipping it off to mesa....ugh.

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem with channel 1 - seems to get better as the amp warms up. What was your diagnosis? Thanks!

I just paid 2475 for my Mark V at L&M Markham location. I haven't noticed any real noise in channel 1 that I would consider abnormal... I live in Newmarket if that's close enough to do a comaprison... As far as the link between Yorkville and L&M, I believe L&M owns Yorkville.

ebmmjp7 said:
I've been having a channel 1 problem as well. I play my mark V with a Petrucci with piezo. WIth normal volume, anytime I use the piezo I hear this terrible fwapp sound each time I pick, or pluck a string. You can FORGET about strumming. I've tried my guitar through other amps, so I know that's not the problem. I've swapped each preamp tube to no avail. Looks like I'll be making a recording of the sound and shipping it off to mesa....ugh.

Thats because you're using the piezo through an amp.. Most folks run it direct to a P.A. if i'm not mistaken.. Would you run an acoustic through a Mark V? Its the exact same thing

shogun said:
ebmmjp7 said:

Thats because you're using the piezo through an amp.. Most folks run it direct to a P.A. if i'm not mistaken.. Would you run an acoustic through a Mark V? Its the exact same thing

That would be true, if the problem didn't ALSO occur when I use the bridge and middle pickup positions on the guitar, as well as with my strat (although the sound is not as loud). I'm going to attempt messing with the settings some more and then I may just ship it away to Mesa and have them fix it.

upload some clips.. have you tried turning the master and gain down on the channel? are you describing the amp clipping ?

ebmmjp7 said:

when i play my ebmm jp6 with piezo through channel 1, everything sounds good. i just had to adjust the piezo output levels on the back of the guitar.

Latest posts

Back