Mark V I hear radio ??? :'(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaterasu

Reaction score
Hello, guys please help me with my trouble.
I hear radio on ch3 when guitar volume 0. I try ESP with EMG and LP custom.

And one more, very loud noise, but when I touch something steel on guitar or amp noise reduce. And on MK4 mode there not noise, this is whistle.

What it can be? Preamp tubes, or this is OK and all what I need is noise gate? Somebody have any troubles like that?

So this is my troubles:
1. Radio when volume at 0 (on ch3 and ch2 with mid gain);
2. Many noise on ch 2 and ch 3 if not touch something steel on guitar or amp (+all time arm on strings)
3. MK4 mode whistle.
what should I do? :)

I had the Radio issue for a while when I first got my Amp. Tom Petty was living in my amp for about a month. I was practicing at the same time everyday and the radio station was playing a couple Tom Petty songs everyday at the same time so it was pretty amusing.

Anyway to fix it I bought some better cables and a noise gate which I needed anyway, and I haven't had that problem since.

Every once in a while I get a slight whistle sound on Channel 3, Mark IV voicing, if I dialed in to much high frequencies on the GEQ and my outboard EQ's, but I have learned to kind of control that, so that's not really a problem I would say.

Anyway, unless someone can give you better advice concerning your issue with touching the guitar I would say try getting a noise gate and make sure you have some quality cables.

Sorry to hijack as I'm a Stiletto user, but, I get Rush Limbaugh thru my amp, in my basement with the Deja Vibe unit on. It (Vibe) seems to amplify the radio signal. When I take my rig out to my friends house that lives 65 miles away from the big city, I have no radio frequency issues at all. BTW I'm about 12 miles away from the strongest AM radio signal in my area. I'd like to try some of the suggestions here....THANKS.

Yeah I have the same problem except I apparently have jesus living in my amp since I get christian stations.

Sometimes it's the cable. On the first day when I bought my Mark (III), My dad turned it on and said, "Did you buy a guitar amp, or a shortwave radio?" as he heard a Japanese man come through the speaker. I swapped cables, and moved the amp to a different room, rotated the preamp tubes, and the problem went away. Sometimes it's the cable, sometimes it's a microphonic V1 tube. That same day, I had a good volume drop, so I swapped V1 with V4 (Reverb Driver), and all my problems went away.

Not a mark V, but I have experienced some extreme radio problems with my Heartbreaker, not all of which are located as amp faults. I run at very high gain, use pedals, often play single coils, rehearsal space is wired 'interesting', and we are located on a hill with radio towers a couple blocks away. A recipe for fending off lots of noise. I found that a combination of locating the least noisy outlet, moving the gear, and using a Furman SS-6B Surge Block with EMI/RFI attenuation made a huge difference for my situation. I looked at voltage regulator and power conditioners, but lucked out with the inexpensive Surge Block. Occasionallly we still do get some radio, but it's nowhere near as obnoxious as it was. When preamp tubes have degraded and started to fail, I've noticed radio noise does become much more pronounced and replacing the offender has helped reduce it a lot. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back