Potential New JP2C Owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For single coils especially, the Clean Channel is as good as anything I've ever used. ENJOY!!!

The clean channel was the one thing that worked properly on the amp I played with and it sounded fantastic! No break-up and felt good under the fingers, a small bit of compression to make it slightly forgiving.

Brand new one in the box arrives today. I plug it in... 8ohm output into 8ohm cab... power it on, so far so good. Take it out of standby...

Nothing

No hiss, no volume, no pops, no bleeps, nothing. Everything looks good, even the tubes are lighting up. Reseated them all, anyway, just to be safe.

Just. Nothing.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm simply cursed LOL!

Edit: figured it out... what a dumbass I am. The Cab Clone setting has the speaker cab turned off LOL! Report soon...

Edit edit: holy crap... this thing is brutal...

Last edited:
Brand new one in the box arrives today. I plug it in... 8ohm output into 8ohm cab... power it on, so far so good. Take it out of standby...

Nothing

No hiss, no volume, no pops, no bleeps, nothing. Everything looks good, even the tubes are lighting up. Reseated them all, anyway, just to be safe.

Just. Nothing.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm simply cursed LOL!

Edit: figured it out... what a dumbass I am. The Cab Clone setting has the speaker cab turned off LOL! Report soon...

Edit edit: holy crap... this thing is brutal...
BRUTAL is right!!! ENJOY your weekend, I'm sure your neighbors will as well:)

BRUTAL is right!!! ENJOY your weekend, I'm sure your neighbors will as well:)

It's hard not to turn it up!!!

Maybe I'm used to the Marshall thing, but I have never played an amp that just keeps coming at you. Add more gain? It doesn't fizz out unless you go crazy with the preamp tone controls. I started with JP's settings and went from there. It just got thicker with more gain and just as punchy.

For the record, it came with STR443's.

Is there a proper cab forum... ? Don't want to bogart space in this thread, even if it's for this amp.

My 1x12 "slant" Recto 1x12 sounds fine for home, but is a tick boxy. Not sure if it's just simply the V30 needs to be broken in... ?

Still looking at a 2x12 for the band, unless my Bogner OS 2x12 (bought back in 2005 with thousands of hours on it) works out well.

So far... clean channel is the clean channel. That was the one thing I knew for certain I could make work for me. In-between positions on my Suhr Classic S's, in particular, work really well. I worried at first that the crystal clear cleans wouldn't be my thing, but these sound good... they're not Rockman cleans LOL! Just a little tweaking and away we go!

On a side note, now that I have this for myself, I may research four-cable method and midi control for the channels with my Fractal FM9. It has balanced outputs, so I can even ditch my Analogman buffer!

Channel 2, I set up initially on JP's specs and went from there. Didn't tweak a ton just yet, just fine tuning. The Mark sound is definitely in my favor here!!! It has a thick, almost layered sound, but doesn't overpower the characteristic of any guitar. My Suhr's all have different pickups... V70's, V60LP's, ML Standards, Thornbucker+'s, Woodsheds and the Hots in my Modern 7... which we'll get too later LOL! None of them were overpowered by the amp, which is frequently the case with the Shiva.

All of them shined in their own ways, which was a very pleasant surprise! The V70's had never sounded better!!! These are pickups that, in the Helios, would rip your ears off (they're in a roasted alder Classic S), but here... they sing. All the pickups shine and it feels like you can tweak to your heart's delight!

The Thornbucker+ can take all the gain the amp has and never loses its growl. This was when I realized how much JP's guitars were really tweaked for his wants and needs. His sound is darker and thicker, even with his settings. I did mess with the mid-mids a lot on the GEQ and found a good sweet spot, which was a whisker higher than JP's settings.

The Modern 7 with Suhr Hots, definitely that darker, thicker sound. Never loses definition, but a little dark for me at bedroom volume until I turned on shred mode. Didn't need it as I turned up the volume, but it made a gigantic difference. It really wasn't THAT dark without it, just different to me and made me thankful that all my guitars were different from one another. That was both the bridge and neck pickups on that guitar. Maybe I'll consider something less hot, but it's different than my "usual" sound and suits that guitar.

Channel 3 was set up for leads, gain cranked... and never lost clarity. I wouldn't use it as my rhythm sound, but man... glorious for leads! They sang with every guitar definitely set up for leads, not my rhythm sounds, but worked with every guitar.

My little Recto 1x12 may be a hair boxy, but also doesn't have a whole lot of hours on it. Certainly not compared to my Bogner. Do these change a ton after break-in? Are the 2x12's better suited?

Latest posts

Back