Mark V by end of this year

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk of evolution and so forth....of course it's all good! What I would like to see incorporated into the next gen of Boogie amps, be it the Mark V or even a new Rec model, is MIDI capable switching. I've bought two amps with this capability in mind. A Marshall 6100 LM and my current JVM. If one has a rack setup or multiple MIDI capable amps it makes life SSSOOOO much easier. One click...boom, you're right where you wanna be. For those that do not prefer MIDI, just simply ignore the jacks. I've talked with Rich at Boogie about this in the past and he stated that they had no plans but to me it's priceless.
Just my 2 cents! Looking forward to the new release!

jdurso said:
another thing to consider is that up until a few months ago you could just order a mark iv from your mesa dealer. the Mark IIC has been out of production for a while now which is part of its rarity. mark ivs are all over ebay, craigslist, local dealers, etc... what i think will happen is if the mark v comes out, the mark ivs will start hitting the used market hard because people will be making room. in that process you'll see the mark ivs price drop a little for a while. they will eventually go back up but i think when the mark v first comes out you'll see some more affordible mark ivs.

sorry for the long post... that was more of a thinking outloud type post
All valid points. I just don't think Mark IV owners should panic and sell necessarily, since like you said, after the initial flood, things should balance out in the used market.

Grats on that McRosie btw. My 513 has an all braz rosewood+fretboard and it's pretty heavenly. I'm sure you're having fun too :)

I see the Mark IV settling into the $1000-1200 price range after the MkV is released. The loaded MkIII will probably dip into the $700-800 range. All this depending on condition, age, etc..... These are great prices for these awesome amps. The MkIIC+ is another animal altogether. The rarity is one thing, but the "supposed" hype is for all the wrong (Metallica) reasons as far as I am concerned. There, I said it :shock: .

I plan to check out the MkV when it is released, but I'll not sell my C+ to get one. I've been down the road of regret before, it sucks!

LG said:
All this talk of evolution and so forth....of course it's all good! What I would like to see incorporated into the next gen of Boogie amps, be it the Mark V or even a new Rec model, is MIDI capable switching. I've bought two amps with this capability in mind. A Marshall 6100 LM and my current JVM. If one has a rack setup or multiple MIDI capable amps it makes life SSSOOOO much easier. One click...boom, you're right where you wanna be. For those that do not prefer MIDI, just simply ignore the jacks. I've talked with Rich at Boogie about this in the past and he stated that they had no plans but to me it's priceless.

While I understand your point of view in this, I personally still prefer ext. switching jacks w/ a MIDI switcher for two reasons; 1) the MIDI interface design varies a lot from gear to gear. Some have poorer ways of programming the devices, etc. With switching jacks you can simply choose your own switching company/solution to fit your needs, and probably have a lot more dedicated and flexible editing interface on the switcher than on most amps, 2) I don't really see why it's such a big deal anyway. It's basically just the difference of having to buy one more small box for your amp if your rig doesn't already have a relay-capable switcher in it (e.g. GCX or Axess RX2). So even though this reason doesn't really have anything to do with why I prefer the switching jacks, I'm just saying that I don't really see a big difference, when you can essentially enable any amp to be controlled by MIDI in some way.

Definitely, I much prefer midi-capable switching.

LG said:

agreed... i dont think i'd use the rjm rg16 if the amp was midi capable

so a few months back i told you a buddy was going to interview metallica for GW and that i was gonna try and go with him... well the latter didnt happen because metallica runs a very tight ship but my buddy did get to go. and he witnessed very interesting looking boogie amp sitting in a rack case... he said it was definitely a boogie BUT it was one he had never seen before and it had no model written on it. now he's a drummer so not the best person to really get information from, but he knows about the mark v hype going on right now because he hears it from a bunch of guys that work at GW. he said it appeared to look more mark-like than recto like but it definitely wasnt a mark iv because it was a little taller, a little wider with a flatter face.... could he have seen a mark v proto?? dont know but we'll find out soon enough i guess

I'm just saying that I don't really see a big difference, when you can essentially enable any amp to be controlled by MIDI in some way.
By stating this you are essentially reinforcing what many desire, including myself. Why? This should be the next question. Why do so many third party developers create MIDI solutions for amp manufacturers? Because people desire this convenience. Marshall understood this and henceforth the 6100 and later the JVM. I must also add that as far as MIDI functions go on the JVM..they work flawlessly. And with a single cable. I have a Dual Rectifier sitting in Petaluma CA right now with a burnt circuit board..due to the external switching jacks. I even asked for a diagram of how to properly configure the jacks with the GCX and set it up accordingly. I was told that the GCX jacks were isolated and thus it could not harm the amp. All of this could have been avoided with a MIDI jack....and a single cable! 8)

Honestly I would rather not have midi built into an amp, j ust more circuits for things to go wrong with. More things to effect my tone, If I was to want to switch via midi I would just buy an outside product.

Now as to marshall, well lets break this down, yes 6100 great amp, now the downside, go ahead and own one, and if any of the circuit boards fry good luck in trying to get a replacment! marshall does not have any so you are pretty much screwed.

As to the JVM, well there is a flop of an amp, noisey and could sound alot better! Build quality is horrible, but then what do you expect, there build quality keeps going down and down, ever since the split channel 800's they have just been going down.

I just got a splawn Quick Rod, and let me tell you that is the best marshall i ever bought, it is everything Marshall wants to be in a modern amp but cant seem to create.

LG said:
I'm just saying that I don't really see a big difference, when you can essentially enable any amp to be controlled by MIDI in some way.
By stating this you are essentially reinforcing what many desire, including myself. Why? This should be the next question. Why do so many third party developers create MIDI solutions for amp manufacturers? Because people desire this convenience. Marshall understood this and henceforth the 6100 and later the JVM. I must also add that as far as MIDI functions go on the JVM..they work flawlessly. And with a single cable. I have a Dual Rectifier sitting in Petaluma CA right now with a burnt circuit board..due to the external switching jacks. I even asked for a diagram of how to properly configure the jacks with the GCX and set it up accordingly. I was told that the GCX jacks were isolated and thus it could not harm the amp. All of this could have been avoided with a MIDI jack....and a single cable! 8)

i think theres benefits both ways and it all depends on what your running in your rig. say you only have midi rack fx, i think a built in midi switching system is a killer option when its done right (ie ENGL). Now if your running bunch of pedals with maybe a midi fx unit, having something like the rg-16 is the way to go. with a unit like the rg16 you can control anything you want, it has a buffered signal, its quiet and it can control and route to two amps. also consider its only $600 and if mesa were to have a midi quality midi system in their amp(s), it would drive the price up atleast a few hundred. in the end while you have to have a unit with your head, you get more flexibilty (especially when it comes to what you can do with midi messages) and if the unit breaks down its not brain surgery on your amp. both have its benefits, it all depends on your need. if mesa could do midi switching like the ENGL SE i think it would be killer as then you could control not only the channels and functions, but also the voicings on each channel.... now that would be awesome.

I asked customer service yesterday "so when is the mark 5 coming out ?" & was told that the mark series has been discontinued to make room for the newer models. i don't believe it, but that's the official story.

i predict that the M5 will still have three channels: lonestar cleans, recto crunch & some variation of the classic m4/m2c lead tone. i think they'll drop the pentode/triod option & add a 10/50/100 power config much like the lonestar. (6L6/EL34 option as well) Tube/ss recitifer tracking is also a probability. i think they might also drop the post-pre graphic EQ.

we'll see...

boogiemon said:
I asked customer service yesterday "so when is the mark 5 coming out ?" & was told that the mark series has been discontinued to make room for the newer models. i don't believe it, but that's the official story.

i predict that the M5 will still have three channels: lonestar cleans, recto crunch & some variation of the classic m4/m2c lead tone. i think they'll drop the pentode/triod option & add a 10/50/100 power config much like the lonestar. (6L6/EL34 option as well) Tube/ss recitifer tracking is also a probability. i think they might also drop the post-pre graphic EQ.

we'll see...

yeah there is something definitely coming and is suppose to be a big deal according to my buddy at GC. maybe its the mark 5 maybe its a new model but i think we'll see something that will definitely be a replacement for the mark series whether it bears the name or not. maybe its better it doesnt bear the name of the mark series as that would constrict what it should sound like. if its a brand new product they can really be progressive and bridge certain gaps without any backlash from the guys who covet the mark series. whatever the case the anticipation is definitely got me intrigued

There could be some radical features...

- Neodymium speakers
- 3 or 5 band Parametric EQ in lieu of a graphic EQ
- 4 channels (5 channels?)
- multiple voices per channel
- analog tremolo, chorus, or compression but I doubt it
- maybe some channels having a "less is more" signal path using only vol+tone
- ability to "Snap on" a back to make a cabinet open or closed back
- precise reverb controls like a fender dual professional
- ability to blend the channels (75% of the mix would be clean with 25% going through the overdriven channel) To emulate the sound of multiple amps
- single version that would work on all world voltages
- ability to use tubes in any combination (6L6, EL34, 6V6)
- no tone knobs, just EQ for each channel
- triaxis-like interface

probably just wishful thinking on my part :)

vermillion said:
There could be some radical features...

- ability to blend the channels (75% of the mix would be clean with 25% going through the overdriven channel) To emulate the sound of multiple amps

Now that is a great idea. I'm surprised we don't see it more in the industry.

Honestly I would rather not have midi built into an amp, j ust more circuits for things to go wrong with. More things to effect my tone, If I was to want to switch via midi I would just buy an outside product.

Now as to marshall, well lets break this down, yes 6100 great amp, now the downside, go ahead and own one, and if any of the circuit boards fry good luck in trying to get a replacment! marshall does not have any so you are pretty much screwed.

As to the JVM, well there is a flop of an amp, noisey and could sound alot better! Build quality is horrible, but then what do you expect, there build quality keeps going down and down, ever since the split channel 800's they have just been going down.

I just got a splawn Quick Rod, and let me tell you that is the best marshall i ever bought, it is everything Marshall wants to be in a modern amp but cant seem to create.
I really don't want to turn this thread into a Mesa vrs. Marshall thread because I enjoy what both amps have to offer. So I will defend my desire to incorporate MIDI into the next gen of Mesa.
Firstly I will agree that Splawn Amps must make a great product, although I can only go by reviews of those that own them simply because they seem to be pretty satisfied and I personally have never actually demoed one.
If you bought an outside product don't you think that that too would affect your tone? Not to mention involve more cabling and equipment, henceforth greater potential for trouble. That is of course if you wanted to go the MIDI route.
I've owned many many Marshalls and many Boogies. A Lead 100 Mosfet,Artist 3203, 50 watt Dual Reverb, 6100 LM, TSL-100 and my current JVM. Boogies- 50/50 power amp, Subway Rocket, Simul 2/90, and my current Dual Rec. I have never, ever had a circuit board fry on a Marshall. Had a tranny fry during a lightning storm on the 3203. As far as sound and what I've owned,nothing even comes close to the JVM. Except of course my Dual Rec.The TSL and the Artist sounded pretty good but the 6100 never sounded that great to me. The JVM-noisy yes, as are most all extreme high gain amps.
In the end it all comes down to what each as an individual desires. But as far as the amp makers go why not have a great product which can cover most any ground that someone could want. I'm sure it's a bit difficult but we've come a long way since the non masters of the day.
I stand by incorporating MIDI control into the next gen of Boogies!

midi unit for a mesa amp is one cable from the unit to the amp.. done.. no mess very simple

with that said if mesa put a high quality midi system similar to the ENGL SE i'd be all about it. if they go the cheap route like the JVM, no thanks. for something that just controls channels and functions (solo, fx loop, etc), i'd rather a seperate unit like the axess grx4 or the rjm amp gizmo because the 300 you'd spend on the seperate unit would just be cost added to the amp. plus as it was said if something goes wrong with that switching system, your talking a serious issue. if you look at the engl stuff, you'll see the switching system is very well designed and integrated into the amp. so while its a great idea to have midi switching, unless they go balls to the walls its not worth it.

not to start a marshall bashing session, but the hype on the jvm is just that. the differences between the voicings and some channels are that extreme and the midi system is very lack luster. dont get me wrong it sounds pretty **** good BUT not like advertised. its basically a tsl with a midi system and an extra channel. not to impressing... id rather a used tsl for half the price

Latest posts

Back