Mark V amp hum, hiss and crackling noise in 3rd channel?!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricorocks

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question concerning my new Mark “V” Amp Head. Lately I’ve been hearing some really annoying hums and hisses in ch. 3 on Mark IV and Extreme modes. Does anyone know if this is normal or not? The hums and hisses and crackling noise are still there even when I roll back my guitars volume knob, unlike feedback which disappears. This happens exclusively in the 3rd ch. And in these 2 modes, with the gain set at 2 max. I did notice that by rolling the gain back off to 12 the noise disappears, dead silence (The way it should be!) Has anyone had such experiences with their “V”? I’m wondering if it could be the pre-valves 12AX7’s , but as I said the amp is new?!? So what’s the deal?!? thanks for all your help and suggestions, it’s all highly appreciated. By the way, I swapped to El34 tubes from the stock 6L6’s. Man what a difference. Seems like a tot. diff. animal. Love these Power tubes, SWEEEETTTTTT………..Rock on… :)

Recently I have had some weird issues with my Mark V as well......I was getting a weird distortion/breakup/fizz on certain notes when in the Tweed mode of channel 1 as well as a high pitched white noise hiss and also channel 3 extreme had this baseline hiss/fizz.......my amp had been dead quite prior to this suddenly starting. Also when I threw a dirt pedal into channel 1.......it sounded terrible and fizzy.....which it had not been doing.

I have called mesa a few times...not a lot of help........they asked me to remove the guitar cable from amp....this causes the noise to drop drastically...so they chaulk it up to instrument noise and said it is normal.......BUT, it did not do this before using the same instrument and cable....WTF???

I bought 3 new MESA 12ax7's and threw those in V1 V2 and V7....no better???? I also put in a new quad of 6L6s.....no difference. Have not changed the rectifier...but issue was there when in 90watt mode so rectifier isn't the issue.

Then I have narrowed the issue down to the V5 and V6 tubes.........

I was in Toronto on the weekend and I picked up a Mesa SPax7 tube (low noise) and I put that into V1.....It fixed the issue almost entirely......there is just a BIT of the hiss/fizz in channel 3 now.....INTERESTINGLY.....when I swapped out V5....made a big difference in the noise as well.....I think V5 is the effect loop return....TURNING THE EFFECT LOOP VOLUME UP ON THE BACK REALLY INCREASES THESE NOISES....I keep it at 12 o clock normally.

When turning on my amp one time I in a dark room....I saw a Blue Flash for a moment after turing the power switch on......so.....that was either a tube or a capacitor........I am thinking it may be a capacitor in the effects loop.....I might pull the chassis and look for a blown cap.

Thanks for taking the time to respond 67mike, i appreciate all these suggestions, but i don't think it's the V5 pre amp tube because i have it on Hard by-Pass mode?!? i'm gonna try first: removing the foot switch, second: trying it with 6L6's again (could be the El 34's i threw in?!?), third: trying another outlet source, fourth: trying another guitar, could be my guitar's high output Pups (Dimarzio Evolutions) signal?!? and if nothing cures the problem i'm taking it back where i bought it and have them ship it back to Mesa since it's still under warranty, but i hate the idea of having to take it back to the store and Mesa again...Thanks man Rock on........ :roll:

Last evening I tried a bunch more stuff to cure the issue.....swapping tubes around...then looked at wiring from transformer near fuse...wiring harness looked burnt....used a wooden skwer and determined it was just glue causingg the discolouratiion on wires......

Then I finally flipped the switch from triode to pentode....WOW that really cut down yhe noise....so I think my issue is with yhat...and apparently that is the inner set of 6l6 tubes.

I had the same problem with my new amp after 4 months of trying everything including changing all tubes Mesa figured that the shield on position v1 was not shielded correctly as soon as I removed it the noise stop, they do have a fix for it if thats the problem

Exactly how bad is the noise? Is it constant? Does it interfere with your guitar's sound when playing? I've NEVER had a "dead silent" high gain tube amp. At least not without the help from a noise gate. Tubes are a very cantankerous, old technology.

Because it's only in channel 3, I'd rule out any "outside" problem like a cable or your guitar. Channel 3 is a higher gain channel, I would expect some pops and hiss. Possibly there are quieter tubes out there that may lessen the extent of the noise.

If you want to troubleshoot, turn the amp on and wait for the noise....Then simply everything, no cables, no guitar, no effects loop. In fact, turn the loop and master volume off at the back of the amp. Watch it, your amp may jump in volume. So now, is the noise still there? Any better? Any worse?

Now for some philosophy.... Try to decide whether you have a malfunctioning amp or if you are just chasing perfection. Sure it is an expensive amplifier but it isn't perfect. I think the chase can sometimes ruin the joy of plugging in and playing. Forget about the imperfections and enjoy your guitar and amp.

However, if that doesn't apply to you, then nevermind. :)

Good luck.

Jedro said:
Now for some philosophy.... Try to decide whether you have a malfunctioning amp or if you are just chasing perfection. Sure it is an expensive amplifier but it isn't perfect. I think the chase can sometimes ruin the joy of plugging in and playing. Forget about the imperfections and enjoy your guitar and amp.

Good luck.

My amp was bought brand new by me in July 2012. It sits in my basement and is played by me a few hours a week. It is NOT transported or gigged or abused.

It was working PERFECTLY......then something **** the bed. I am not having much luck calling Mesa....I have called them 4 times now...and it is like talking to a doorknob.....

Through my own detective work and a couple hundred dollars in tubes........I am getting it to a point I can probably live with.

I am going to try a few more tricks and if that doesn't pan out.....I will have to go through the trouble of pulling the chasis and going over it with a microscope to look for an issue.....then possibly send to all the way to California to see what they say.

67mike said:
Jedro said:

Good luck.

My amp was bought brand new by me in July 2012. It sits in my basement and is played by me a few hours a week. It is NOT transported or gigged or abused.

It was working PERFECTLY......then something sh!t the bed. I am not having much luck calling Mesa....I have called them 4 times now...and it is like talking to a doorknob.....

Through my own detective work and a couple hundred dollars in tubes........I am getting it to a point I can probably live with.

I am going to try a few more tricks and if that doesn't pan out.....I will have to go through the trouble of pulling the chasis and going over it with a microscope to look for an issue.....then possibly send to all the way to California to see what they say.

Well, clearly, you're having problems.

Well my amp is brand spankin’ NEW and for the price that i paid i would expect it to work perfectly! I mean the amp has gone through assembly , play, wiring and all sorts of tests before being sent out to the dealer, so there should NOT be a problem with a NEW High end Amp such as the Mark V. Period. I don’t see why I have to troubleshoot my amp and try to fix it. Sure I could send it back since it’s still under warranty but you know what a hassle all of that would mean? And who knows how long before I get it back? I mean I really believed that these amps were Highly dependable, but this does not seam to be the case.. as I read a lot of people are having the same issue (more or less). I never had a problem with cheap S.S. Amps. Even Fender Twins never gave me problems in 20 years. Never changed a tube in it. These Amps are supposed to be build like tanks for what they cost and based on the reputation they have, that’s my opinion. I know that tube amps hum and hiss with high gain settings , but my gain is on 2 man, that isn’t “High”?!? and then there’s the intermittent crackling noise, without mentioning the F?!N? POP every time I footswitch between channels, the Crackling really frightens me. WTF?!? What the hell is going on here? This is NOT Normal period. I don’t care what anyone says, sure hum and hiss may be normal but not intermittent crackling noise with NO guitar or cables or FX loop engaged. So what’s the deal? Do I have to really take it back where I bought it and have them send it back to Mesa? What a PITA.. Thanks all . Rock on all you guys who didn’t seem to get a Lemon like me!!! Very Very disappointed PERIOD…….. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ricorocks said:
Well my amp is brand spankin’ NEW and for the price that i paid i would expect it to work perfectly! I mean the amp has gone through assembly , play, wiring and all sorts of tests before being sent out to the dealer, so there should NOT be a problem with a NEW High end Amp such as the Mark V. Period. I don’t see why I have to troubleshoot my amp and try to fix it. Sure I could send it back since it’s still under warranty but you know what a hassle all of that would mean? And who knows how long before I get it back? I mean I really believed that these amps were Highly dependable, but this does not seam to be the case.. as I read a lot of people are having the same issue (more or less). I never had a problem with cheap S.S. Amps. Even Fender Twins never gave me problems in 20 years. Never changed a tube in it. These Amps are supposed to be build like tanks for what they cost and based on the reputation they have, that’s my opinion. I know that tube amps hum and hiss with high gain settings , but my gain is on 2 man, that isn’t “High”?!? and then there’s the intermittent crackling noise, without mentioning the F?!N? POP every time I footswitch between channels, the Crackling really frightens me. WTF?!? What the hell is going on here? This is NOT Normal period. I don’t care what anyone says, sure hum and hiss may be normal but not intermittent crackling noise with NO guitar or cables or FX loop engaged. So what’s the deal? Do I have to really take it back where I bought it and have them send it back to Mesa? What a PITA.. Thanks all . Rock on all you guys who didn’t seem to get a Lemon like me!!! Very Very disappointed PERIOD…….. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well, man, I have no way of telling if these noises you're hearing are the same ones I've been hearing from Mesa amps since 1989. I do know that a Mesa amp is not going to be "dead silent". My amp crackles and pops without an instrument plugged in. Yours may be worse. I am merely trying to explain that what you are experiencing, to some extent, is a tube amp functioning normally. Tubes are not a reliable technology. We carry spare tubes for a reason.

I saw Michael Schenker once, from the front row, and he played through a 50w Marshall and a 4x12. From where I was, I could hear his amp making all kinds of noise in between songs, and that was straight off the stage.

Your amp is still under warranty. If you feel you have problems, USE IT. Put the dealer on the spot and have him handle it. Raising your voice in a store full of customers is a good way to get what you want. A hassle? Yes, somewhat. My first Mesa amp, a 50 Caliber, had problems the first day I had it home. I took it back to the dealer, they handled everything and 3 weeks later I had an amp that worked. The hassle was less than having an amp that didn't work.

I might add that if you use your warranty, don't mention that your amp got soaked in the rain.

Best of luck.

To add one detail to the point above about no Mesa amp being dead silent, when I was having problems with noise when I first got my Mark V (it turned out to be a pre-amp tube but the noises were not reminiscent of the majority of tube failures) I called Mesa about it. I suggested that other Marks didn't have as much constant background noise, in addition to the intermittent noise of the faulty tube, as mine, and the tech followed up with "you've played actual Mark Vs in your area? Where?" (as I live in a fairly rural state, there could not be many, particularly in 2010, and he picked up on this fact).

I told him "well, I've played Mark IVs..." and he replied that the Mark V is not the Mark IV, and the Mark V is going to be a bit noisier than the Mark IV even in Mark IV mode. It's something I accept considering the component density inside the chassis and the multitude of options that result from so much pre-amp in one mid-sized package. Perhaps later revisions will be a bit quieter. It's not a deal-breaker for me, in any case.

I'm at a loss as to if you're experiencing typical noise or something else. When I was having issues with my amp, I mic'd my cab and uploaded a clip here. The result was "you should probably call Mesa" ;) They sorted me out.

Thanks Guys for all your great tips and help, i Highly appresiate it. :wink: now what i'm gonna do is ttry and swap out a few pre- amp tubes as you all suggest and see if it cures the problem. i just want to underline the fact that it's not the Hum and Hiss that bothers me . it's the Cracklin' sound that scares the SH?!?t outta me. like what 's going on here?!? i will def. take it back to the dealer if the pre-amp tube swap doesn't work out.. i'll keep you all updated and let you know what happens, as soon as i resolve this Issue. thanks all and Rock on. :| :|

ricorocks said:
Thanks Guys for all your great tips and help, i Highly appresiate it. :wink: now what i'm gonna do is ttry and swap out a few pre- amp tubes as you all suggest and see if it cures the problem. i just want to underline the fact that it's not the Hum and Hiss that bothers me . it's the Cracklin' sound that scares the SH?!?t outta me. like what 's going on here?!? i will def. take it back to the dealer if the pre-amp tube swap doesn't work out.. i'll keep you all updated and let you know what happens, as soon as i resolve this Issue. thanks all and Rock on. :| :|

I had the same crackling sound when I first got my Mark V head too. I changed all the preamp tubes and all has been good since. It sucks to have to do that with a new unit that costs over $2200...... but it solved the issue for me and I have been very happy since doing so.

If you want to make changing the tubes super easy you may want to do what I did. Just takes a few minutes with a jigsaw.
IMG_01491_zpsbed245b7.jpg

Once you put the grill back on you cant even tell anything was done.
IMG_01511_zps17b42663.jpg

Thanks for the great advice dino2sf, seems like a lot of people are having these issues with their "V"'s ehh?!?. for the price of these amps Mesa should pay much more attention to these tubes in my opinion. BadaBing :wink:

I hear many problems with the V's, Mesa doesn't make amps like they used to, and they won't in the future.
My Mark III Coli is quiet, no noise at all, same goes for my 2 channel dual rec, dead quiet. Mesa tubes aren't very good, I don't and won't use them. Remeber 90% of all tube amp problems is (SURPRISE!) THE TUBES! Try cleaning the tube sockets by spraying the tubes with contact cleaner and inserting them a few times, try different tubes other than Mesa. Just because your amp is new means nothing, tube sockets sit around in open boxes on work benches collecting dust particles.

One thing that pissed me off about new mesa amps is that they stopped hardwiring the power cord to save money, that's where I draw the line, if the power cord isn't hardwired, I won't buy it.

Hope you get your noise problems resolved, you are the customer, make the dealer do their job, let them know what the problem is, and if they won't help you, take your amp business elswhere.

And FYI, Mesa's re-labeled 12AX7s, including SPAX7, are Ruby tubes. The SPAX7 just tests a little better.

My SPAX7 died after two or three months.

A full re-tube of the 12AX7s in mine was the best thing I could have done for this amp. It sounds much better and I can't imagine the new tubes won't prove more reliable considering how many Mesa 12AX7s died in mine...

mesaboogie6L6, I'm curious about the hard-wired power cord vs modular power cord with socket... Is there a difference as it relates to noise? Would modding an amp that has a modular cord/socket setup to a hard-wired cord be as simple as it sounds? Not something I would necessarily attempt on an amp that costs this much, but...

Doesn't matter to me who Mesa buys their tubes from and re-labels, I don't and won't use them, the aren't reliable and I don't trust them. I will use JJ's, and I don't have to buy them from Mesa even though they might be using them. I like RFT's and JJ for pre's, and JJ's and winged =C='s for power. Mesa power tubes aren't reliable in my Mark III Coliseum, chews them up and vomits them out! Heard good things about Tung Sol.

I don't think hard-wired power makes a difference in noise, just made me mad when Mesa stopped using it on their amps to save money, so I will only use and buy old school Boogie amps. I've had my Coli for 22 years and it smoke checks ANY other amp in my opinion, believe it.

Agreed 100% with what you're sayin' mesaboogie6L6, the fact that they don't hard wire the power cord pisses me off also. WTF man, these amps cost big time. now i think i'm just gonna get rid of this thing!!! and most likely look into a Soldano Slo, Bogner Shiva or maybe a Diezel Herbert !!! well as they say Live and Learn man. i'm takin' my money elsewhere. take the time and Rock on... i am very very F?!?n' upset :evil: :evil:

And what's with the F?!?n' Pow. tubes . the 6L6's don't seat flush with the socket in my head, man. you can see 4-5 mm. betwen the tube's pins and the socket WTF?!? i don't know!!! :evil: i'm just so pissed off and mad man, thought i made the right choice but evidentally DID NOT: Period

That shouldn't be to bad to fix, just push them up carefully flush with the sockets, my older amps do that too, not a big deal, make sure you have the bear trap clamps bent down enough, not too tight or the tube won't fit inside them.

Latest posts

Back