Mark V:35 Say WHAT?!?! Short Head and 1x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YellowJacket said:
That said, I'm somewhat surprised that a 6v6 platform wasn't considered.

6V6s get mushy on the low end when driven hard. Mesa has said in the past they don't like using them with high gain.

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:
That said, I'm somewhat surprised that a 6v6 platform wasn't considered.

6V6s get mushy on the low end when driven hard. Mesa has said in the past they don't like using them with high gain.

I know of a crazy 40watt 6v6 head that has a great feel and an absolutely crushing tone. It's tight like a mark and crushes the lows like a sledgehammer. Not a mesa amp though...

So MESA/Boogie noticed that a nearby company upgraded their phones every year to great fanfare and made so much money that they became the most valuable company in the USA. MESA also noticed that their retailers couldn't keep the V25 in the showroom long enough for people to try them and they sold like hotcakes on eBay they were so popular. When they got rid of the RA & TA, it was a business decision, a great business decision, it could prove to be their "iPod" moment and the company's value goes way black. They do not make a dime from the second hand market and neither does Apple so they depend on certain people taking that loss just to get the latest thing. Car companies market to their loyal customers knowing that only certain people buy new cars. Look at Apple's new commercial where they mock themselves saying that there is "nothing new" but then go on to show you that there really is new features. If you can go a year or two, you know the 45 watt 6l6, 6V6, EL34 is definitely is on the way, they just want to sell us on the dyna-power (simul-class) first. I hope they come out with the Mark V25B with a 10" combo, solo and mid-boost, I'd probably like that better than the 35 for a grab a go amp.

Markedman said:
So MESA/Boogie noticed that a nearby company upgraded their phones every year to great fanfare and made so much money that they became the most valuable company in the USA. MESA also noticed that their retailers couldn't keep the V25 in the showroom long enough for people to try them and they sold like hotcakes on eBay they were so popular. When they got rid of the RA & TA, it was a business decision, a great business decision, it could prove to be their "iPod" moment and the company's value goes way black. They do not make a dime from the second hand market and neither does Apple so they depend on certain people taking that loss just to get the latest thing. Car companies market to their loyal customers knowing that only certain people buy new cars. Look at Apple's new commercial where they mock themselves saying that there is "nothing new" but then go on to show you that there really is new features. If you can go a year or two, you know the 45 watt 6l6, 6V6, EL34 is definitely is on the way, they just want to sell us on the dyna-power (simul-class) first. I hope they come out with the Mark V25B with a 10" combo, solo and mid-boost, I'd probably like that better than the 35 for a grab a go amp.

No kidding. So let me get this straight: A 'for profit' business builds many different, unique, and incredibly charming amplifiers. They keep revising their product line to stay in business and as a result, we have many great guitar amps to choose from. The Mark V 25 is so overwhelmingly successful that they release another, more powerful version, so that buyers have even more options. (Given some of the feedback on the V 25, I can understand why Mesa based the V 35 on the V 25 preamp instead of the Mark V one)

I have to say that Mesa's customer services is likely equally good for people who buy second hand as it is for those who buy new. What company even has to do that? My Electra Dyne was out of warranty but when my handle cracked, they sent me a replacement handle UNDER WARRANTY through my local L&MQ dealer. When I ordered my 1 x 12 RA cab in British Tan Bronco Tolex, they had discontinued that stock option but they still honoured the stock price. They don't HAVE to treat customers this way.

Why people are whining about yet another awesome Mark V model is beyond me. If you like it, get it. If not, then don't. No biggie. The clips of the Mark V 35 sound amazing, so I'm guessing it will be a great amp. I particularly like how it sounds more 'crunchy' or 'british' and less 'grainy' than the Mark V.

YellowJacket said:
Why people are whining about yet another awesome Mark V model is beyond me. If you like it, get it. If not, then don't. No biggie. The clips of the Mark V 35 sound amazing, so I'm guessing it will be a great amp. I particularly like how it sounds more 'crunchy' or 'british' and less 'grainy' than the Mark V.
No one is "whining" about anything.
I simply have a problem being a test market for a company who already had this in the works when the V:25 came out and lied about having no plans on making it a combo. But everyone is absolutely right. Mesa, as a privately held company, is certainly within their rights to do whatever they want with their products and alienate any customer who has ever taken a business ethics class and understood how they apply to the real world market.

YellowJacket said:
Markedman said:

No kidding. So let me get this straight: A 'for profit' business builds many different, unique, and incredibly charming amplifiers. They keep revising their product line to stay in business and as a result, we have many great guitar amps to choose from. The Mark V 25 is so overwhelmingly successful that they release another, more powerful version, so that buyers have even more options. (Given some of the feedback on the V 25, I can understand why Mesa based the V 35 on the V 25 preamp instead of the Mark V one)

I have to say that Mesa's customer services is likely equally good for people who buy second hand as it is for those who buy new. What company even has to do that? My Electra Dyne was out of warranty but when my handle cracked, they sent me a replacement handle UNDER WARRANTY through my local L&MQ dealer. When I ordered my 1 x 12 RA cab in British Tan Bronco Tolex, they had discontinued that stock option but they still honoured the stock price. They don't HAVE to treat customers this way.

I have a love and hate with Mesa, yes they do have great customer service, great products built like tanks and a great selection to choose from. My beef with them is there up charges, there is no reason to charge an up charge from black to white tolex, or black to wheat grill, I can see an up charge for hard woods or different kinds of coverings that do cost more, but i am sorry going from black to white should be the same price or max 20 dollar up charge.

ryjan said:
YellowJacket said:
I simply have a problem being a test market for a company who already had this in the works when the V:25 came out and lied about having no plans on making it a combo. But everyone is absolutely right. Mesa, as a privately held company, is certainly within their rights to do whatever they want with their products and alienate any customer who has ever taken a business ethics class and understood how they apply to the real world market.

I dont think you get the point, there is a big difference between the 25 and 35 watt V, people that want a low wattage small compact amp will be happy with the 25, people that want a bit more options will go with the 35 but sacrifice on having it smaller and lighter.

So they really did not use the 25 users as a test market, they just added to the Mark V line but adding a middle amp, they also did not lie, they said they had no plans at the time of coming out with a Mini 25 combo and they didnt, they came out with a mid size 35 watt combo.

siggy14 said:
I have a love and hate with Mesa, yes they do have great customer service, great products built like tanks and a great selection to choose from. My beef with them is there up charges, there is no reason to charge an up charge from black to white tolex, or black to wheat grill, I can see an up charge for hard woods or different kinds of coverings that do cost more, but i am sorry going from black to white should be the same price or max 20 dollar up charge.

Oh man tell me about it. I wanted a salt and pepper grill for my V:25 was going to be $350 Australian dollarydoos for the upgrade "handman in Petaluma california" so if every amp is put together by dedicated team one at a time or small batches. Surely picking up the cream and black grill cloth roll instead of the black grill cloth doesnt constitute a $350 up charge. I would of happily paid another 50 or 100. But when it already cost $2.5k another 350 is taking the piss.

Also emailed my local mesa dealer. Hope no australians were getting their hopes up for the 35. Since the $ has tanked prices have gone up to the insane.

Retail:
- Combo $4995 ($3996 street)
- Head $4695 ($3756 street)

Just let that sink in for a minute.

Having said all that though. I am so happy with my V:25 and will go to my mesa guy and test out the 35 when it lands. He told me shipment is on the water and should be instore by December.

That's why I buy from the states and get them sent over to Australia buy a transformer and change it myself and I'm still thousands in front.

Justin_Blackened said:
siggy14 said:

Oh man tell me about it. I wanted a salt and pepper grill for my V:25 was going to be $350 Australian dollarydoos for the upgrade "handman in Petaluma california" so if every amp is put together by dedicated team one at a time or small batches. Surely picking up the cream and black grill cloth roll instead of the black grill cloth doesnt constitute a $350 up charge. I would of happily paid another 50 or 100. But when it already cost $2.5k another 350 is taking the piss.

Also emailed my local mesa dealer. Hope no australians were getting their hopes up for the 35. Since the $ has tanked prices have gone up to the insane.

Retail:

Having said all that though. I am so happy with my V:25 and will go to my mesa guy and test out the 35 when it lands. He told me shipment is on the water and should be instore by December.

Same thing happens in England for mesa gear the prices jack up but it's not mesa's fault that happens is just the cost of import and export and the USA gets the same deal when they buy a marshall from England they get them at a higher cost so it balances out its not a one way street. As for all the add ons like tolex choices costing more well thats hardly surprising if anyones ever bought a car you'll know the extras are ridiculously prices compared to the standard model mainly because of the time add and tracking of that item for the customer and so on. It's easy to pump out 100 standard blacks than it is to pump out 100 custom orders.

Also to the people who are pissed at their 25's have "lost value" were you really going to sell them anytime soon??

Im guessing not.

kingdarko said:
Justin_Blackened said:
siggy14 said:

Retail:

Same thing happens in England for mesa gear the prices jack up but it's not mesa's fault that happens is just the cost of import and export and the USA gets the same deal when they buy a marshall from England they get them at a higher cost so it balances out its not a one way street. As for all the add ons like tolex choices costing more well thats hardly surprising if anyones ever bought a car you'll know the extras are ridiculously prices compared to the standard model mainly because of the time add and tracking of that item for the customer and so on. It's easy to pump out 100 standard blacks than it is to pump out 100 custom orders.

Also to the people who are pissed at their 25's have "lost value" were you really going to sell them anytime soon??

Im guessing not.

I dont think we get dinged on price for marshall nearly as bad as you guys get dinged for Mesa gear. As to the tolex like I said to substitute white for black is not really and upgrade as they are not using a higher grade tolex, they are just using a different color so as I see where you were trying to go with the car thing, not really the same. Now for a crock tolex or something like that I can see.

ryjan said:
YellowJacket said:

What's going on is most definitely whining, with a heavy dosage of self-entitlement. You're not a "test market" for anything. Unless you work for Mesa, it's not of your business what their business plan is. You bought an amp because presumably it fit your needs. If it didn't, then no one else is to blame but you.

They didn't lie to you about a combo. The Mark V:25 is still not offered in a combo. The V:35 is a heavier, more expensive amp that fits a different price point.

No company that sells products is going to share with you their future plans. Not Mesa, Marshall, Apple, Google, whatever.

Furthermore, if you can't look back on Mesa's patterns before, and NOT figure out that a very successful line would eventually have a middle product, I don't know what to tell you. They've been doing this for over two decades. See the Caliber, Dual Caliber, DC revision B, F series, Express series, multiple versions of the Rectifiers, the Transatlantic series, etc.

I wouldn't worry about ole ryjan.....he's at 2200+ posts and his thoughts on this thread are easily his most sophisticated ever :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give it up, man.....the V:25 is a guitar amp, not a Givenchy handbag. If that confuses you, that's your fault not Mesa's :roll: :roll: :roll:

siggy14 said:
I dont think you get the point, there is a big difference between the 25 and 35 watt V, people that want a low wattage small compact amp will be happy with the 25, people that want a bit more options will go with the 35 but sacrifice on having it smaller and lighter.

So they really did not use the 25 users as a test market, they just added to the Mark V line but adding a middle amp, they also did not lie, they said they had no plans at the time of coming out with a Mini 25 combo and they didnt, they came out with a mid size 35 watt combo.

My thoughts exactly. I guess Mesa (And it's customers) liked the growl of the EL84s so much that they decided to make a bigger amp with that same sort of a sound. So now you have a small and awesome lunchbox; a bigger version of the same thing; and the fully featured option. IMO, spending some time with the Mark V has made me conclude that the only useful modes are Clean, Fat, MarkI, Mark 2C+, Mark IV, and Extreme. The smaller iterations of the Mark V only cement this point for me.

The 'test market' view is kind of silly. Mesa just created the new benchmark lunchbox style amp. It would only be a fair assessment to say it was a 'test product' if the Mark V 35 supplanted it. In reality, the V 25 is still available for people with bad backs who want to take a great tube amp out to a gig.
Can you imagine a matching 1 x 10 thiele cab with 1/2 inch baltic birch?

[edit] In terms of business decisions, I think there is a precedent for multiple tiers of amps based off of a similar voicing. I also think there is a market for mid sized small bottle amps. While Orange has the Tiny Terror, and there is the Vox Nighttrain, Tubemeister 18, There's an Engl 20 watt, etc.; Orange also has a Dual Terror, there is the EVH 5150 50watt, RevV has the Generator 7 - 40 and the Dynamis. (The RevV offerings are absolutely killer and give Mesa a serious run for their money)
I'm sure there are even more amps at this particular power size but I can't remember them all offhand.

Having finally spent some time with a Mark V, I can say with certainty that it is an astounding amplifier. Since there is already an established market for mid sized / half sized small bottle & large bottle amps and Mesa is smart to try and cash in on it in addition to the lunchbox party.

a few years ago, I bought my wife an iPad 3 about two months after they came out. Less than 30 days after I bought it, they came out with the iPad 4. I KNEW Apple had a well established busness model of coming out with a new model about every 12 months, so I intentionally bought right after a new model came out. The 4 had significant upgrades. I was pissed. Felt ripped off. Apple had this in the bag the whole time, had an established model cycle, ect. yet they had SCREWED ME! However many years later this would be, my wife still loves her iPad and is not tech savvy enough to know the difference.

A few years before that, I bought a new care near the end of the model year, because it was a "deal." The new models came out two months later that the new motor had 20% more horsepower, 25% more torgue, and got 3 MPG more. Again, I had buyers remorse, for about 2 weeks then I forgot about it.

Unlike computers though, "newer better" doesn't apply here. This is "more amp for more money" and nothing more. It doesn't have faster processors, more ram, better graphics, same price, like a computer would. IT's just more features, more money.

So tonight after being out of town for a few days, I read how Mesa is ripping all us V25 owners off, and how mine is now obsolete and worthless. While I didn't even have to do this to know better, I did. I flipped one switch, waited about a minute and flipped the other, and within 10 seconds as reminded that this is one of the best amps EVER! I recently got on a kick with several other boutique makers. Tried several amps and heard some great tones. Tonight I was quickly reminded that while those amps that had this top shelf clean tones really were as great as advertised, my worthless obsolete V25 could produce clean tones so close to that great, that the difference would only be noticable to a geek, and one setting right in front of the amp. It only took about 5 more minutes to verify that the V25 also had, 1) another whole type of cleans that the the other amps couldn't do, and 2) 4, count em, 4! complete gain channel options that BLOW AWAY anything the boutique amps could do, and BLOW AWAY any pedal you could have used with that boutique amps clean channel.

Then I played on the Mark IIC+ for about 25 minutes. The jist of this is simple. The V25 is SO great, that you could throw away the mode switches, and chose EITHER clean channel and ANY one of the 4 other modes, and it would still be the best two channel amp in it's price range. It really would.

Rip off? This amp is a STEAL for the price. Expanding the line only widens the appeal of the whole line.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
a few years ago, I bought my wife an iPad 3 about two months after they came out. Less than 30 days after I bought it, they came out with the iPad 4. I KNEW Apple had a well established busness model of coming out with a new model about every 12 months, so I intentionally bought right after a new model came out. The 4 had significant upgrades. I was pissed. Felt ripped off. Apple had this in the bag the whole time, had an established model cycle, ect. yet they had SCREWED ME! However many years later this would be, my wife still loves her iPad and is not tech savvy enough to know the difference.

A few years before that, I bought a new care near the end of the model year, because it was a "deal." The new models came out two months later that the new motor had 20% more horsepower, 25% more torgue, and got 3 MPG more. Again, I had buyers remorse, for about 2 weeks then I forgot about it.

Unlike computers though, "newer better" doesn't apply here. This is "more amp for more money" and nothing more. It doesn't have faster processors, more ram, better graphics, same price, like a computer would. IT's just more features, more money.

So tonight after being out of town for a few days, I read how Mesa is ripping all us V25 owners off, and how mine is now obsolete and worthless. While I didn't even have to do this to know better, I did. I flipped one switch, waited about a minute and flipped the other, and within 10 seconds as reminded that this is one of the best amps EVER! I recently got on a kick with several other boutique makers. Tried several amps and heard some great tones. Tonight I was quickly reminded that while those amps that had this top shelf clean tones really were as great as advertised, my worthless obsolete V25 could produce clean tones so close to that great, that the difference would only be noticable to a geek, and one setting right in front of the amp. It only took about 5 more minutes to verify that the V25 also had, 1) another whole type of cleans that the the other amps couldn't do, and 2) 4, count em, 4! complete gain channel options that BLOW AWAY anything the boutique amps could do, and BLOW AWAY any pedal you could have used with that boutique amps clean channel.

Then I played on the Mark IIC+ for about 25 minutes. The jist of this is simple. The V25 is SO great, that you could throw away the mode switches, and chose EITHER clean channel and ANY one of the 4 other modes, and it would still be the best two channel amp in it's price range. It really would.

Rip off? This amp is a STEAL for the price. Expanding the line only widens the appeal of the whole line.

I had that iPad too. :lol: and I agree with everything else. 10 watts is literally the difference between two speakers of differing efficiency. The solo boost, if it's that important to you, is easily solved. I prefer the smaller, lighter head. You know what I'm "pissed" about? That they've not announced a TA/RA replacement! :lol:

After churning this around in my head, I've come to agree with ryjan that we were used as a test market for the Mark V:25.

Of course, we were equally used as a test market for...

Electradyne
Royal Atlantic
Mark V
Mini Rectifier
Rectoverb 25
Cab Clone
etc.

Mesa is not a huge company. They do not have a "test market" per se. We are it.

If an amp tests well, sometimes it makes it to Rev 2, or G, or whatever.

polaris20 said:
I had that iPad too. :lol: and I agree with everything else. 10 watts is literally the difference between two speakers of differing efficiency. The solo boost, if it's that important to you, is easily solved. I prefer the smaller, lighter head. You know what I'm "pissed" about? That they've not announced a TA/RA replacement! :lol:

Amen brother! I've been waiting for that for over a year. Thinking I may need to try an Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic now that they are so affordable on the used market. If one of them blows me away I'd just keep my TA15 and be done amp shopping for a while. If not, I love my V25 so much I may just go ahead with my initial intention and get a full sized Mark V.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
polaris20 said:

Amen brother! I've been waiting for that for over a year. Thinking I may need to try an Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic now that they are so affordable on the used market. If one of them blows me away I'd just keep my TA15 and be done amp shopping for a while. If not, I love my V25 so much I may just go ahead with my initial intention and get a full sized Mark V.

The Electra Dyne has a magic clean tone and the vintage lo, when compared to the Mark V Crunch / Edge, is much wider sounding with a big low end. This is more similar in voicing to a Recto but it has the same sort of compression as a Mark Series amp. Vintage Hi is surprisingly similar to Mark I mode on a Mark V but the voicing has more of a british sort of a mid bark. It's a really cool amp but it feels a bit squirrelly under the fingers. It's a neat amp if you're looking for far more retro inspired tones at a reasonable volume but just don't expect a tight, molten, metal machine.

Latest posts

Back