Mark V:25/Wall of Sound/Ownhammer Demo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
There's no line out with the Mark:25's cab clone, so you can't do a recording that isn't colored by Mesa's builtin cabinet emulation.

To work around this, I used the cab clone as a load (set the speaker switch to off) and then ran the fx send into my interface.

Once I had the preamp signal available in Logic I used the Wall of Sound plugin with Ownhammer impulse responses. So the signal chain is:

Mark V:25 preamp->Logic->Wall of Sound power amp simulation, Ownhammer cabinet and mic impulse responses.

The point of this song is to sound gnarly and unruly. I like how this turned out https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/on-my-mind-fuller

dlpasco said:
There's no line out with the Mark:25's cab clone, so you can't do a recording that isn't colored by Mesa's builtin cabinet emulation.

I know, right? How didn't it occur to Mesa that that would be the 1 obvious thing that we'd want from a DI? Even my $700 Laney has that. Ah, well... it's a really fantastic amp in all other respects. I love it really.

Anyway, that's a great idea man. I've got Wall of Sound and I'm going to give your technique a go!

Your track sounds pretty cool; nice and gritty

dlpasco said:

Why would you want too ? .........and ............
you can always mic the cabinet of your choice

Newysurfer said:
dlpasco said:

Why would you want too ? .........and ............
you can always mic the cabinet of your choice

Are you asking why not just record with an external speaker and microphone all the time? This is for silent recording.

The reason you would want to do this is to use IR's

I ended up getting a DI box just so I could do what the OP suggested.

My signal chain is MV25 speaker out->DI Box->Power stations (which does have a line out, but it is slightly colored to (sort of) emulate a speaker)

I pull the balanced output off the DI box and go into my daw and use IR's

While it is fun, there is still just something missing. Regardless of the amp or IR I use. It seems the (attack) isn't quite right. I have often wondered if perhaps that was due to the fact that a speakers resistance fluctuates with the signal, where as an attenuator set to dummy load will not.

I guess I could test that theory by letting it run through the speaker rather then dummy load and testing the results

Back