Mark V:25 IIC+ mode (!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dodger916 said:
dlpasco said:
Has anyone ever weighed in on how IIC+ mode on the Mark V:25 compares to the real deal? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure I've read comparisons here somewhere.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing how close it gets to the real IIC+, especially compared to the full Mark V.

Anyway, still having a blast with this thing.

dlpasco said:
dodger916 said:
dlpasco said:
Has anyone ever weighed in on how IIC+ mode on the Mark V:25 compares to the real deal? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure I've read comparisons here somewhere.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing how close it gets to the real IIC+, especially compared to the full Mark V.

Does it matter? If it sounds great, it is great.

Since I don't own a V:25, I can't offer a direct comparison. But comparing my IIc+ and the IIc+ mode on my V, I would say it is timbrally very close in general if somewhat more modern sounding. But there is one very significant difference. My IIc+ has big, fat and deep tone. The mode on the V, even after switches and EQ magic, sounds very bright and thin in comparison. I get that is this related to the fact that mode was based on a non-GEQ IIc+ (small coupling cap) and my IIc+ is a GEQ model (big coupling cap). Also, I regularly engage Pull Deep on my IIc+, and there is no way to perfectly emulate that on the V.

The V:25, with its two EL-84s, probably won't sound significantly bigger and fatter than the full V with four 6L6s and 90 watts of power, so I would expect the results to be somewhat along the same lines.

My mark v 25 on the c+ mode feels compressed and lacks some of the touch response when compared to my 100 watt non graphic c+. Even on the xtreme mode it doesn't have the saturation that my c+ has. Replacing the stock 12ax7's with nos chinese got it closer but something is still missing.

xdg999 said:
My mark v 25 on the c+ mode feels compressed and lacks some of the touch response when compared to my 100 watt non graphic c+. Even on the xtreme mode it doesn't have the saturation that my c+ has. Replacing the stock 12ax7's with nos chinese got it closer but something is still missing.

That is interesting to hear. Thank you.

You're welcome. The mark v 25 is a great little amp. The cleans are really close to my c+. It sounds really nice with an open back Mojotone 1x12 lite cab loaded with an MS-12 speaker.

dlpasco said:
I found that the Mark IIC+ really acts like it's a Mark IIC+ and that the V:25 sounds a little like a V:25 but also has the feel of a V:25. :wink:

Sorry for being obtuse but the constant asking of this question is making me a bit cynical.

ryjan said:
dlpasco said:
I found that the Mark IIC+ really acts like it's a Mark IIC+ and that the V:25 sounds a little like a V:25 but also has the feel of a V:25. :wink:

Sorry for being obtuse but the constant asking of this question is making me a bit cynical.

:)

Authorized Boogie said:
danyeo1 said:
I've owned a couple of real IIC+ amps and a Mark V and I can tell you the Mark IIC+ mode on the V is NOTHING like the real thing. And I don't care what Doug West says, or what Petrucci gets paid to say. There's a reason why Mark V's have sold for as cheap as $1350 and real IIC+'s sell for over 4k.

But the little Mark V 25.....I gotta try it out!!!!!!

Actually Petrucci doesn't get paid to say anything, at least not by us.

And if you follow what Doug West says clearly - MKIIC+'s were all over the map tonally. Out of 30 you will hear nearly 30 different sounding amps. The Mark V IIC+ mode was modeled after his 2 personal favorite IIC+'s....and there is no way you could tell in a blind A/B test.
How consistent are the Mark IV ?

It would seem many are selling off their bigger stuff these days. Got to try the M25 at a dealer while on the road and it was a great great amp. Astonishing in fact, but not enough horsepower and torque for the heavier sound I lean towards when I need it. Did also play some blues and rock and it was great but for those needs, I use the V and the lower wattage and voltage options.

I still want REALLY want one though LOL.

Latest posts

Back