Mark V 25 - Buzzing Noise inside amp head when using DI Out?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemmelight

Reaction score
Hey, all!
Brand new poster, and first time Mesa user!
Loving my amp so far, but lately it has developed a strange issue:

When using the DI Out with the speaker muted, I can hear noise inside the amp head itself.
It seems to match the notes I'm playing, just at a higher frequency. It sounds like a buzzing or vibrating.

At first I thought it was a bad tube, but because it 'sounds like' the notes I'm playing, now I'm not so sure what it could be. It doesn't seem to do this when using the headphone out - only the DI specifically.

I'm sorry this isn't much to go on, it's difficult to describe this noise.
Could it just be that one of the pre-amp tubes is on the fritz? I've honestly got no clue.

Thanks for reading.

hemmelight said:
Hey, all!
Brand new poster, and first time Mesa user!
Loving my amp so far, but lately it has developed a strange issue:

When using the DI Out with the speaker muted, I can hear noise inside the amp head itself.
It seems to match the notes I'm playing, just at a higher frequency. It sounds like a buzzing or vibrating.

At first I thought it was a bad tube, but because it 'sounds like' the notes I'm playing, now I'm not so sure what it could be. It doesn't seem to do this when using the headphone out - only the DI specifically.

I'm sorry this isn't much to go on, it's difficult to describe this noise.
Could it just be that one of the pre-amp tubes is on the fritz? I've honestly got no clue.

Thanks for reading.

That's pretty normal, but since you're not hearing the live speaker along with it....you are now noticing it. Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
That's pretty normal, but since you're not hearing the live speaker along with it....you are now noticing it. Thanks!

Cool, thanks for the reply!

I couldn't find any mention of this happening online, or in the owner's manual. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't damaged in some way. :)

That can be a characteristic of power tubes. Some will sing more than others. Internal vibrations may not be present with a new tube but due to several heat cycles (in use and off ) as the internal materials of the power tubes may change due to thermal expansion when in use, and then followed by the cool down when the amp is turned off. Long plate power tubes in small diameter glass envelops which is more prone to have tube noise in EL34 tubes and the EL84 is common. Not the same tube of course. I have had tube rattle with many 6L6 tubes in my other amps as well. Sometimes the noise will track the guitar quite well (I would call that tube sing but not sure if there is a term for it or not. ) but only notice with low volume playing and not at higher volume levels as the speaker will be much louder than the tube noise. Some tubes have mechanical noise related issues. Actually this is common with all tubes but some may make more noise vs others of the same type. I sometimes listen to the tube while holding it in my hand and tap on it with my finger. If it sounds like a light bulb with a broken filament, chance it may make noise in the amp is more probable than not. This does not mean it will be heard thought the amp. It is what it is. Par for the course sometimes.

How many hours have you put on your tubes? I would think about ordering a new set of tubes, power and preamp to have on hand for back up as both preamp and power tubes do wear out over extended periods of use. Sorry for the repeat that may be mentioned, power tube usable life is much shorter than the preamp tube. You may end up replacing the power tubes more often than the preamp tubes.

bandit2013 said:
How many hours have you put on your tubes?

Since I've received the amp, I've used it for a few hours every few days or so, but certainly no more than 30 hours total, I would say. Bought new from Andertons here in the UK.

I'm not squeamish about swapping tubes when the time comes. There's no microphonic noises or 'rattling' during normal play, however last night I was noodling around when I accidentally bumped the speaker cable very lightly, giving a very loud squeal through my speakers. The speaker cabinet was bypassed, but I heard the noise through my monitor set-up (DI out into my Scarlett 2i2, into Reaper, then into my mixer and amp).

Other than that, everything is peachy.

My only criticism (which is really just splitting hairs) is that I wish I could switch between Clean/Fat and Crunch using the footswitch. I would sacrifice one of the channel 2 sounds -namely Extreme- because I just don't use it. Mark IV mode has more gain that I'll ever need.

I shouldn't really complain though, considering how ridiculously well engineered this piece of hardware is. It's absurd how they can cram so many features into such a tiny enclosure, and keep it light!

Latest posts

Back