Mark IV white noise!! Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
At practice today the Mark IV started out sounding fine but as practice went on i started hearing white noise, and after about a total of an hour and a half, the noise was loud enough to be alarming and make me not want to play anymore for fear of hurting the amp. The amp still sounded OK, although it sounded like it was missing some tone maybe. Any ideas as to what it could be? Thanks guys.

Adam

I will try swapping some preamp tubes out this week and see if it goes away. The tubes are pretty new, but that doesn't mean they can't go bad...

Anyone else have any suggestions for things to look for to fix the problem?

EDIT: A tech friend of mine seems to think it is tubes as well. I'll be making a visit to the music store this week and doing a preamp tube replacement. Any recommendations?

MusicManJP6 said:
I will try swapping some preamp tubes out this week and see if it goes away. The tubes are pretty new, but that doesn't mean they can't go bad...

Anyone else have any suggestions for things to look for to fix the problem?

EDIT: A tech friend of mine seems to think it is tubes as well. I'll be making a visit to the music store this week and doing a preamp tube replacement. Any recommendations?

boogie's don't suddenly just do that.. it's always a tube or a lead or pedal..

Turns out I neglected to change the 12AT7 reverb tube in V4 when doing the tube replacement a while ago. My Peavey XXX has 4 preamp tubes and the Mark IV has the additional tube for reverb, so I missed it when swapping the tubes out. The old tube I took out rattled when I shook it, like a blown lightbulb. Anyway, all is well in the land of the Mesa!

Thanks guys...

Latest posts

Back