Mark iv & what kind of cab??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threemounts_1

Reaction score
I recently just bought a mark iv and I'm using my regular 4x12 recto cab with the vintage 30's. The amp seems real bassy n boomy wen you palm mute or hit the lower strings. It's like the sprekers are on close to it's brwakibf point. My friend and I r thinking of x-patterning the v30s with sum 75's from his Marshall cab. You think this will take our some of the bass? Or is there a certain speaker that will handle the mark iv with better note clarity?

I just picked up a Mark IV 2 days ago, and I have been running it through my Recto 2x12, and it sounds killer.

What are your settings?

Now I'm a complete newbie to the Mark IV so take this with a grain of salt, but what I have found is that if you set the bass on the preamp section too high, it gets really loose and boomy and bassy, like what you described. But if you keep the bass low on the preamp and boost it in the EQ, it remains tight. I have the bass set at 4 on the preamp section and in the eq I have the bass freq, 80hz, just below the top line and 240 on the center line. I have my lead gain at 7 pulled and my lead drive at 7 pulled. I love the tone I'm getting with the recto 2x12. Extremely tight and focused. If your expecting Recto low end, I could be wrong but I don't think your gonna get it.

Now, I have the cab lifted off the floor a bit because when I was using the recto 2x12 with my Roadking, it was too much bass when the cab was on the floor. You just couldn't dail it out.

One thing I gotta say about the Mark IV, it just floors me how good this thing sounds going straight in. Course it helps having the EQ built in. That should be a standard on all boogies including the rectos. Eq after the preamp section right before the power amp section behaves so differently from EQ prior to the preamp, you really need both!

I also wasn't expecting the clean channel to sound so good, but it sounds killer! Mind you my Roadking is a version 1, not a 2 so I don't get the lonestar cleans that you would get with a Roadster or Roadking 2.

yep, the key to achieve a great heavy rhythm tone with a Mark series amp is keeping bass low (usually from 0 to 3 - on my Studio Pre 4 is already too much) and treble high (from 7 to 9-10, it depends on the brightness of your guitar). Then both bass and high can be boosted on the graphic EQ. A beautiful tone is subjective, but this is a useful start point.

Thx for your help guys.
I've also been thinking of getn the older mesa cabs with the metal grill and the black shadows. Or wat do u think of the lonestar 4x12 they have the same speakers with an open back type thing going on...they look good too...or maybe a road king cab? Which do ya think?

Buy them all and give away the ones you don't like to needy guitarists...

You should be able to get a great tone from your recto cab. Alot of bands use the Mark IV/Recto cab combination such as Dream Theater and Lamb of God. An open back cab will make the bass less tight.

It should be all in the Mark IV's settings. As mentioned, you have to keep the bass low on the pre EQ, then you can boost it with the GEQ. I keep the bass knob at 0 on my Mark III, then boost it to just under the top line on the GEQ. A Tubescreamer up front will also tighten up your sound by cutting a bit of bass and adding a bit of mids to give you more cut and is a whole lot cheaper than a new cab.

yeah..thats what ive been doin, but i traded my recto cab with my other guitar player for his marshall 1960a cab with the 75s in it. for sum reason i like the sound of those better..thats just me

I had one of the old 4x12 slant cabinets with the half open back. It was loaded with C90's and EV12L's. I loved that thing. Keeping the bass control down under 3 will help. You can add the low end back in with the EQ and it doesn't get as flubby as the knob control.

Try a cab with speakers, and if you sound crap...

...try one without. :roll:

I used a Bogner 2x12 oversized cab with V30s. Terrific combination and very balanced! I will be using it with my Mark V when it arrives.

Back