Mark IV vs Triamp MKII

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldeve

Reaction score
Ok gonna give you the short verison. My cousin which lives out of state called me today about trading for my Mark IV head and 4x12. He owns a Triple Rec with mesa 4x12, Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK II with matching 4x12, and a Diezel Herbert with matching cab.

His really been wanting to pick up the MarkIV but noone has it locally for him to purchase. He had a really bad ordeal with a g-force unit on ebay and vowed never to go that route again. So instead of waiting for 3 to 4 months on Mesa he called me up and asked me to do a straight trade.
He wants to trade me his Triamp MKII with the 4x12 cab for my MarkIV and Cab. He bought the Triamp and cab brand new 7months ago and he said its still in mint condition.

Basically after telling him no several times, that I have only had the Mark IV for a few months and absolutely love it. He said, he would trade me the Triamp Head and Cab for just the MarkIV head and that he would also drive it down here to me (about 4hr drive)!

Guys I know alot of you have traded and swapped and sold more gear then I could imagine, and probably regretted a few of them. What do you think about this trade? The MarkIV is my first tubed head ive bought, would it be a mistake to make this trade?
I know nothing about the MK2 at all, except the little bit of searching Ive done tonight on it. My cousin said for the cost of the amp and cab I'd be stupid not to! And the only reason his offering is because we are family.
I also knew nothing about mesa amps until I came to this board and read all the helpful posts, which made me make the decision to get one.

So any input you guys could give me would help out alot!

265068.jpg

Muscians Friend has the head priced at $3,299.00
CC412A 4x12 Guitar Cabinet (Celestion G12Ms) $1,249.00

put it this way,, if you trade you won't have one of the worlds best amp's any more..trade him the diezel herbert.. that would be worth it..

Honestly, I'd do it, sell the Hughes and Kettner rig (unless you completely fall in love with it), and buy another mark IV. You'll make yourself close to a a few hundred if not a quick $1000 if you do it right :wink:

I've been gasing to try a Triamp for a while. Maybe if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for my Mark IV :D

Shep said:
put it this way,, if you trade you won't have one of the worlds best amp's any more..trade him the diezel herbert.. that would be worth it..

Yea, I tried that already! :D

He said he would never trade that amp or sell it!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Honestly, I'd do it, sell the Hughes and Kettner rig (unless you completely fall in love with it), and buy another mark IV. You'll make yourself close to a a few hundred if not a quick $1000 if you do it right :wink:

I've been gasing to try a Triamp for a while. Maybe if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for my Mark IV :D

Yea but Ibanez you remember that wait as well as I do! I just got the MarkIV and would not want to go through that ordeal again :)

Plus I wouldnt do that to my cousin just to get a quick grand. If I do the trade Id do it with the full intent on keeping it, unless it was just completely horrible, then I'd have to call his *** back up and get my **** Back! :lol:

I wouldn't do it. Triamp is nice, but IMHO it lacks charakter of mesa and sounds little brittle compared to mark IV. And if you love your amp, why do you consider trading it for something else? :)

I wouldn't do it. :idea: If your cousin is a good guy ask him for a 30 day, or whatever trial/trade. Play the MK2, if you like it keep it. If not, trade back and get your Mark IV. The only problem... He's left without a Mark IV! :lol:

ibanez4life SZ! said:

I agree. The Triamp is worth A LOT more than the MarkIV. Also it's a killer amp. It's extremely versatile as it is three two channel amps in one head.. You may actually like it. I think they are fantastic.

sixstringmonk said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:

I agree. The Triamp is worth A LOT more than the MarkIV. Also it's a killer amp. It's extremely versatile as it is three two channel amps in one head.. You may actually like it. I think they are fantastic.

The triamp is worth more just because it's a european amplifier. As far as I have already heard hughesandkettner they pretty much suck.
But financially I think it would be a good deal. At least in the united states.

tell him to sell the triamp and get his own **** MARK!!!!!!!!! Or better yet tell him you will sell his triamp and in return get him a mark IV. I am sure he'll have no problem tossing you a shaving off the cash back for you work effort. 8)

Back