Mark IV! To headshell or Rackmount?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
I will most likely be aquiring a Mark IV combo later this week as a trade for my Roadster head. I'm super stoked about this- the more I play the Mark IV the more I love it. Only one problem- I prefer the way it sounds with my 2x12 recto cab over the evm-12l and I want to cut down on the size and weight. I have been looking on the internet to find a headshell for it and they seem to be very hard to find. I couldn't find any aftermarket clones or any used ones for sale. Does Mesa/Boogie sell these and if so how much does one cost? Is the rackmount kit a good alternative economically or about the same after you buy a rack case? Can you mount the reverb tank in a rackmount kit? Thanks-Joe

headshells are harder to find and more expensive.
you can buy a brand new rackmount from mesa for $100 or so if you don't need a fan.

not certain about reverb as I don't use mine and it's disconnected and sitting in a closet.

just an idea, if you aren't digging the speaker in your combo, you'll likely be able to sell it on these forums and fund the rackmount with it! which is exactly what I did:

I just rackmounted my IV and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the reply. I think I might rackmount it if I can't find a headshell. I certainly like the idea of the head, a power conditioner and an effects unit all together in one package. I would probably get the rackmount kit with the fan which is $129 and then I would have to buy a rack though. That's got to be at least another hundred bucks right? If rackmounting it costs me $250 I may just try to buy a headshell. Isn't a new headshek from Mesa $300 ish?

I'm not certain about the $ on a new headshell..I'm not even certain if they sell them.

But yes a rack case will cost you atleast $100 new. Watch craigslist/forums for a better deal.

Your other option is to do what I did. My MKIII combo was so badly beat up on the bottom and fine on top (from a tolex perspective) that I took out the speaker and head chassis and cut the the cab down myself to the size of a head.
I peeled back the tolex on the sides, cut off the bottom panel, cut the sides to length, cut down the depth of the bottom panel ( on the back side) screwed and glued, re-applied the tolex and viola, a MKIII head. The back isn't pretty but it looks better than the combo did and is lighter.
I am a cheap SOB too and I care more about the sound than the aesthetics and on stage nobody can tell how it looks anyway.
I re-used the frame and grill cloth, again, just cutting down the wood to size after peeling back the cloth and reworking it. I also repositioned the fan to blow ( or suck) wind across the tubes. Yeah, head is about 1.5 in taller than std but again, if you're not hung up on aesthetics, this works until you want to lay down $250 for an actual pro-built head shell. My boogie metal logo came of yrs ago and with the head being a little taller and no sign, people wonder what the head is I'm using. Depending on where you play, the logo missing could be a good thing so thieves don't see the Boogie sign and salivate. ( I've played some rough places. Better to be inconspicuous)

Just another option if you are handy with a circular saw. My back and shoulder have never felt better!!!!

herrball said:
Your other option is to do what I did. My MKIII combo was so badly beat up on the bottom and fine on top (from a tolex perspective) that I took out the speaker and head chassis and cut the the cab down myself to the size of a head.
I peeled back the tolex on the sides, cut off the bottom panel, cut the sides to length, cut down the depth of the bottom panel ( on the back side) screwed and glued, re-applied the tolex and viola, a MKIII head. The back isn't pretty but it looks better than the combo did and is lighter.
I am a cheap SOB too and I care more about the sound than the aesthetics and on stage nobody can tell how it looks anyway.
I re-used the frame and grill cloth, again, just cutting down the wood to size after peeling back the cloth and reworking it. I also repositioned the fan to blow ( or suck) wind across the tubes. Yeah, head is about 1.5 in taller than std but again, if you're not hung up on aesthetics, this works until you want to lay down $250 for an actual pro-built head shell. My boogie metal logo came of yrs ago and with the head being a little taller and no sign, people wonder what the head is I'm using. Depending on where you play, the logo missing could be a good thing so thieves don't see the Boogie sign and salivate. ( I've played some rough places. Better to be inconspicuous)

Just another option if you are handy with a circular saw. My back and shoulder have never felt better!!!!

Thanks for the advice. My combo cab is in great condition with only a couple minor scuffs so I probably won't go this route but it's nice to have the option to consider. Not to mention my sub-par woodworking skills!

I think I might hold off on this. I'm really digging the way the amp sounds as a combo. I also like the way it sounds with my recto 2x12 cab. I like having the speaker and portability options of leaving it a combo. Its so easy to just take the combo, a guitar and play with no effects and get a great tone without all the extra setup time and effort.

Back