Mark IV switch question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm1681

Reaction score
A local store has a used MKIV dirt cheap. It looks good, sounds great, but there is a catch. It was turned in with a footswitch, but it got lost somewhere in the process.

I can buy it as marked and they'll order me a new switch, or they'll subtract the cost of the switch from the total.

My question is, if I set the channel selector to say channel 1, and connect a single latch type switch to the lead channel, will it override the channel selection?

That being the case, I'll take the discount, and one or two Boss switches ( http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=35 ) and be done with it.

To tell you the truth, I don't think any single line footswitch will work to control all the Mark IV channels and options. But, you may be able to do what you are asking with setting the switch to channel 1 and using the footswitch to switch to the lead channel. The Mesa footswitch has a single 6-pin connector that plugs into the back of the amp by the tubes. I would probably let them order one for you, or you can order one yourself off of the Mesa Boogie web site.

A Mark IV loses alot of it's compactness and versatility if you're not using the footswitch designed for it....the hell with using a bunch of odd ball footswitches when you can have all the controls set logically on one pedal :shock:

JAZZGEAR said:
...the hell with using a bunch of odd ball footswitches when you can have all the controls set logically on one pedal :shock:
Thats the thing, I don't need switches to control all of the functions, only to switch from Lead to Rhythm 1, and loop on/off.

While it would be nice to have the larger controller, it would ultimately take up more space than two small switches.

What I need to know is if the amp is set to Rhythm 1, will engaging the lead mode via an external switch override the amps selection?

I think if you down load the manual it will explain it. I thought of doing the same thing for small gigs, to save some space on the floor. I was thinking of just three mesa small one button foot switches. Maybe the store will let you try a footswitch. I know any marshall foot switch should work(one button 1/4" jack)

Read the manual cover to cover and it said to use the external jacks, turn the channel selector to "EX SW".

I suppose when the time comes I'll just try it at the store.

I should be able to try it out for you tomorrow. I'll get back ASAP.

it works, i put in my marshall pedal in the back and switched the MKIV into lead mode and back to channel 1 with the marshall pedal.

Considering the cost of the FU-3 I would talk to the guy about a serious price reduction. The FU-3 costs $240 from Mesa plus shipping.

I bought a boss fs-6 footswitch ($45 ) with it I'm able to switch through R1,R2, and R3 with just the two button switch( so two buttons but three channels). I leave the back of the MKIV set at ftsw and plug the FS-6 into r2 and R3. When you pres either A or B on the boss it goes to the channel you pick, step on the same button again and it's back to R1. (the starting point) also the FS-6 has a TRS 1'4" out, so you can run one stero cable from the footsitch and split it off at the back of the amp with a trs send and return cable. I think this is a great back up, to the Mesa footswitch for only $45.

I am building a switch myself that controls all the 6 functions f the mark 4.
You could easily add the reverb for a b version.

So you can switch these things:

Rhy 1
Rhy 2
Lead
EQ
FX Loop
Class A/Simul Class

So you have an extra option that the stock switch doesn't have.

And i wont need to step again on the channel knob to go back, i use two flip flops icm with momentary switches and relays, so if you are on rhy 2 and you step(set) on lead, rhy 2 will automaticly go off(reset).

Costs of the parts are around €50,-($70,-), unlike the 250 bucks mesa switcher.

If anybody's interested, here's the scheme(Channel part).
Leave the 4th button, relay and jack input away(thats for a 4 channel like the quad):

http://members.chello.nl/aad.sieraad/mesaswitch/mesaswitch.PDF
http://members.chello.nl/aad.sieraad/mesaswitch/mesaswitch_bot.PDF

And the 3 other buttons for FX, EQ, Simul(1 showed):

http://img164.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=35207_ledje_122_67lo.jpg

Design by Aad form www.gitaarnet.nl/forum.

very nice! you should go in businees making these. Thanks for the info.

jamme61 said:
very nice! you should go in businees making these. Thanks for the info.

Haha, i dont have the time to do that. But its easy as hell, and everyone can make one teirselves for a good price.

I'm studying on adding an extra lead + eq button.
When I succeed in that i will post the scheme.

Latest posts

Back