mark iv suggested settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratosphere

Reaction score
hi guys, can you guys give me some recommended settings for my mark iv, i seem to always tinker to try to get more out of it and i end up loosing track of where i was in the first place. I'm looking to get an "offspring smash" sort of tone i suppose out of the lead channel. I haven't had much success with the rhythm 2 channel . I'm wondering if its feasible to get a marshall style crunch ala "rage against the machine". any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Also i need to gain a better understanding of how the master volume relates to the individual channel volumes. I played out with some new people recently and when i cranked the master volume its as if all of my saturation disappeared and all that was left was a loud midrange voicing without a lot of distortion.

click on the "Mesa Boogie Database settings" in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

All i can say is patience man, you'll get your own tone soon just keep playing with it. Get your basic settings and then fiddle around most with the GEQ. Don't always put the sliders on the line or between, try as much variations as possible. If your looking for a nice solo sounds I would say stick with Harmonics, Simul-class, and Triode (or Pentode for more of a punch). If you want a nice heavy metal tone, mid gain, class a, pentode. And for the R2, trust me you can get a great tone out of it. Ill post settings later. Keep fiddling!

Try this:(I use an Ibanez RGT with this settings)
Lead Channel:

Lead Gain: 8 Pulled
Lead treble: 8
Bass: 3
Middle: 4

Lead Drive: 5-7
Presence: 8
Lead Master 3

Output: 3

Pentode
Harmonics
Simul Class

Full power

EQ like this(Maybe the 6600 somewhat higher to upper stripe):

Hi Guys:
I tried some of the suggested settings and I think I'm getting closer. Mainly the one that said Clean, GNR, Metallica. Overall, I think the problem is that I'm finding the GEQ as having the most effect on shaping the overall sound compared to the the individual tone knobs. So I'll do tweaking and end up with a sound that I love for the lead channel (real high gain metallica sound) but then the R2 sounds too bassy in contrast. I'm assuming I need to set R2 first to get the best possible sound and then fiddle with R1 and lead afterward. I have to say R2 gives me the most difficulty, as I may not be using it for what boogie intended. What kind of stuff are you guys using it for? My ultimate goal is to be able to have 3 different sounds on demand. A usable clean, a convincing crunch and high gain metal sound without having to turn knobs on the fly. Is it feasible to set it and forget it? Please post some R2 suggestions. I'd love to see what people are doing. Thanks again for reading my post!

stratosphere said:
Hi Guys:
I tried some of the suggested settings and I think I'm getting closer. Mainly the one that said Clean, GNR, Metallica. Overall, I think the problem is that I'm finding the GEQ as having the most effect on shaping the overall sound compared to the the individual tone knobs. So I'll do tweaking and end up with a sound that I love for the lead channel (real high gain metallica sound) but then the R2 sounds too bassy in contrast. I'm assuming I need to set R2 first to get the best possible sound and then fiddle with R1 and lead afterward. I have to say R2 gives me the most difficulty, as I may not be using it for what boogie intended. What kind of stuff are you guys using it for? My ultimate goal is to be able to have 3 different sounds on demand. A usable clean, a convincing crunch and high gain metal sound without having to turn knobs on the fly. Is it feasible to set it and forget it? Please post some R2 suggestions. I'd love to see what people are doing. Thanks again for reading my post!

Most people will agree that you need to boost R2 if you want to get a good Marshall-type crunch sound out of it. Honestly, If you got a boost pedal, you could use it to boost both R1 and R2 (and depending on the pedal, roll off that bass you're having problems with). That would give you a total of 5 sounds.

Apologies if this is a dumb response but it sounds like you are using the EQ all the time?
I don't have a IV but am considering buying one and just read the manual.
What if you work on trying to come up with convincing tones without using the EQ...then use the EQ as a last resort?

A big +1 to oyster on that, you should get your amp to sound good without the GEQ at all first. The GEQ sounds great 'always on' but that's what lead EQ mode is for. It's more beneficial to have two separate tones, a rhythm and a lead. I like to scoop a bit of the mids on my GEQ for a nice heavy metal tone and then stomp it off for a more midrange boosted tone for perfect boogie lead.

There are tons of choices on the Mark IV, read the manual up and down and over again until you understand perfectly how the controls work.. there are a lot of choices but it's not overwhelming once you understand it better.

Try getting your regular tone to sound good, then start playing with the GEQ.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies, I know that the manual clearly states that the channel tone controls should be set first. The GEQ should be used as the icing on the cake. I'm finding that my setup sounds very dark from the get-go. I'm using the Mesa 2x12 tuned 3/4 open back cabinet and I'm wondering if I should try a different cab instead. I prefer using a 2x12 because its easier to travel with. As a survey... can you guys post what cabinets you use with your Mark IVs? Thanks again for the help!

Here's my set up:

MKIVstack.jpg

stratosphere said:
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies, I know that the manual clearly states that the channel tone controls should be set first. The GEQ should be used as the icing on the cake. I'm finding that my setup sounds very dark from the get-go. I'm using the Mesa 2x12 tuned 3/4 open back cabinet and I'm wondering if I should try a different cab instead. I prefer using a 2x12 because its easier to travel with. As a survey... can you guys post what cabinets you use with your Mark IVs? Thanks again for the help!

I think the voicing on the four is a little on the dark side as it is, but crank that presence and you'll still get that bite to cut through. I bet EVs help it dig through too, but I'm not fortunate to have one of those cabs....

Back