Mark IV: Short or Medium Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enc3f4L0

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering a Mark IV head soon...

Short or Medium? And why?

I can imagine differences in the combo (cab size and whatnot) but are there any real reasons I should choose one head over the other?

Thanks.

I believe the only difference is that you can fit the short head with a rack mounting kit and put it in your rack.

I would guess because the medium head would look more proportionate to the size of a cab then a short head.

Anyone else wanna put in their 2c?

I'll be ordering this next week if all goes well.

Weight and size may be an issue. If you like easy to haul stuff, it's obvious to go with the short head. However, the medium would fit the cabinet better.

I really don't know why I asked you what size combo you have...maybe I was going to tell you that you should buy the opposite when it comes to the head, because...well, yeah...I don't know where I was going with that.

Either way, it won't matter cuz I'll be selling my combo.

I have to haul my amp around ALOT and I can't take the weight anymore (60kg in it's case)... Most of the times I don't even need to carry a cab (going to a friend's studio, he has a 4x12 there) so it's just extra weight.

Thinking of it this way, I'm probably better off with the short head huh?

Well, depending on what you sell your combo for, maybe you should consider simply converting it into a head and then simply selling the shell case.

It's not worth it for me...

I can sell an used combo down here (Brazil) for atleast 5000 reais, something like 2280usd. That's almost enough for a NEW MK IV Head + 2x12 Cab I wanna get.

The other reason I'm selling is that although my amp is awesome, it's still a 16 year old equipment. Even the best gear will need some frequent maintenance at that age. I wanna avoid as much 'repairs' possible since I live thousands of miles away from the MESA factory, and there aren't many techs I trust to fuss with my amp in my city.

I've choosen the Short Head, and never regretted it ! Better looking IMHO, even on a 4x12 :wink:

As it turns out, I'll be getting whatever Head is available...

I talked to the dealer and he managed to get the other 2 items in time (my recto 2x12 cab and my brother's Bigblock Titan v12) but he hadn't had luck with the Mark IV yet.

He's still trying so I'm hoping... I said I'd prefer the short, but the medium will do just fine.

I never bought a NEW Mesa Boogie amp... For those who have.... How are they packed exactly, and what comes with the amp (manuals and whatnot)?

Enc3f4L0 said:
I never bought a NEW Mesa Boogie amp... For those who have.... How are they packed exactly, and what comes with the amp (manuals and whatnot)?

Three of the 4 Boogies I've owned were new. Packing is second to none. You'll see.

Actually, my RK2 will be my 5th Boogie and that will be shipped new as well.

I have a similar question. I just ordered an F-50 in bubinga and wicker from my local GC (and I know I may be in the wrong forum here - although I do also currently own a DC-3. I'm really hoping this thing comes well packed - it would totally SUCK if the unit was damaged after I drop the serious coin I did and wait basically three months for it to come in.

I was also wondering if they send you any *bonus* items when you special order an amp like this. I mean for the price it would be a great show of customer appreciation if they threw in a t-shirt or something along those lines.

plumptone said:
I was also wondering if they send you any *bonus* items when you special order an amp like this. I mean for the price it would be a great show of customer appreciation if they threw in a t-shirt or something along those lines.

In my RK2 box I got a............. STICKER! YEA SCORE!

For as long as I waited to get the RK2 I think a T-shirt would have been better! The packing was great!

Oh If I were getting a Mark head I would get the short. For me easier to move around. The option of putting it in a rack and it will look deceiving to others...
OH! look at his amp its so small...Ha Ha Ha
(after the show)
WOW! that thing almost ripped my Nuts off!

:lol:

-Matt-

MetalMatt - I have been following the progress for you guys with the RKss on order. I can't believe they didn't see fit to throw you a bone like a t-shirt or something. That sucks. But I'm guessing you're a happy man now that you have it.

For what it's worth, I'd go with the short head too, especially if you are going to be moving the thing around a lot or if you have any intentions whatsoever of putting it into a rack at some point. The "stealth" approach is always good - and it would be fun to see the looks on people's faces after you get that little thing cranking.

I got the short head because it fits in a standard 19" rack as is (it's 18-7/8" wide). That is to say in it's own cabinet it fits in from the back and fits snugly between the rack rails and sits on a rack shelf so that it's in my rack without having to buy a rack mount kit for it. When I want to use it out of the rack I simply pull it out of rack to stack in a different configuration.

I'm pretty scared the shop won't get the Mark IV in before my trip... If I can't get a Mk IV I'll try the new RK II, maybe they have them pre-ordered. I won't come empty handed, that's for sure.

Back