Mark IV retube...still looking for the right ones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fronzil

Reaction score
i know this has been done, but **** it this discussion could go on forever

i wanna retube my MKIV B...currently running electro harmoix 6l6s and 12ax7s...I love the tone but know it can be better...ones that came with it when i bought it from a member here about 8 months ago..

been lookin over euro tubes...i've heard good things from sovtek, svetlana, JJ etc...I like the base of the mark IV tone...I don't know if I need more gain, but i don't want to lose any...

i want all 6L6 im pretty sure..im open to 5881 and 6V6 options i guess..i like round, smooth, thick, tight tone...i guess that's how i describe it lol..anyway, main thing is i was gonna get the JJ high gain set, but then heard mixed reviews? I know everyone likes different things, but feedback would be cool..check my myspace for the **** i play....basically hard grungy/prog rock lol...need a buttery lead tone..half punchy rhythm 2, chime cleans on rhythm 1

Hi,

I recently retubed my Mark 4A with high gain from JJ, I think it sounds better than the stock tubes. Reverb is fuller and more, cleans are "clearer", and noteworthy is the increased gain in RHY2. Purchased the full high gain retube with 6L6, overall better than the stock mesa tubes in my ear. As usual, Mark 4 is occupies the midrange frequencies, might not be as good sounding as a stand alone amp compared to triaxis or maybe fender, but in a band setting, Mark 4 cuts through the mix with it's voice!!

Good Luck with your tubes, wanted to try the 6V6 option, but maybe next time.

Speak to the guys at The Tube Depot.

www.thetubedepot.com

I purchased SED Winged C for the 6L6s and Tungsol 12AX7s from them.

JJ preamp tubes and SED =C= power tubes in my A sound beautiful. The right blend of warmth and high-end sparkle.

I see you are not opposed to using pedals... Before trying any expensive tube swap, etc. I would suggest adding a BBE SS in your fx loop. It tightens up my MK IV very well and suddenly even my sloppy played notes jump can be heard over the thundering bass. :lol:

I had good luck with that preamp tube "cocktail" from Dougstubes.com and SED =C='s when I
had a MKIV.

emperor_black said:
I see you are not opposed to using pedals... Before trying any expensive tube swap, etc. I would suggest adding a BBE SS in your fx loop. It tightens up my MK IV very well and suddenly even my sloppy played notes jump can be heard over the thundering bass. :lol:

thanks for the help, but my mark iv cuts through the mix unbelievably well, and it's always pretty tight the way i dial it in (especially when using the j drive and bb preamp)..i love my tone, but new tubes is exactly what im lookin for, not another pedal..ive looked into it quite a bit, had a friend throw JJ's into his dual rec and remove lower end stock tubes and he said it added just what he was looking for (and it never hurts to have backup tubes for gigs..only have 1 set)...the winged C's are pretty appealing to me as far as powers go..I may even just replace them for now..

ok. Just thought I'll throw the SS at ya! It helped me cut through a band mix at lower than usual volumes. :D

BTW, I have all JJ's in my mark iv and I still feel the SS tightens things up just enough. Like you said, an extra set is a great idea. :)

Winged C Svet's - no contest - transformed my amp....

And a quad of 6v6...and a pair of EL34s

Just to have the complete set :wink:

emperor_black said:
ok. Just thought I'll throw the SS at ya! It helped me cut through a band mix at lower than usual volumes. :D

BTW, I have all JJ's in my mark iv and I still feel the SS tightens things up just enough. Like you said, an extra set is a great idea. :)

ye like i said my amp cuts through so well, almost too well lol..my other guitar players marshall stack has more trouble cutting through..maybe its the way we dial it in, the guitar..who knows...but when i need tightening up, I have 2 'top of the line' overdrives (BB and J drive) both which are unreal..both so versatile, can't say enough about these 2 pedals (most people who know them will say the same thing)..and the J drive has a seperate clean boost built into it, so i basically have 3 ways of tightening or changing the tone a bit already, thats why I'm not looking for another pedal, lookin to change the amps natural tone a bit...electro harmonix tubes cant be the cream of the crop and thats what came with mine.

You haven't mentioned what kind of speaker(s) or cab(s) you are playing through, but changing speakers is also a worthy way of changing the sound without changing the overall feel of the amp. In fact, you may be able to get a much more varied sound by changing speakers than brand of tubes. Always debatable. However, as an example, there is a huge difference between the sound of a V30 and an EVM-12L in an open back combo cab.

Good luck on your tone quest.

I'm a big fan of the GT 6L6 GE tubes in the Mark amps, I use two in my IV along with two winged C SED EL34s.

i play into my recto 2x12 cab with v30s..i wont be swappin out speakers, as in the new year ill be getting a second cab..maybe a 1x12 for easy transportation..that's when ill be fuckin around with speakers...after reading all the tube descriptions on tube sites, and the fact that my tubes are somewhat old..new ones.

ive gone through ALOT of tubes, i work at a music store thats full of old tubes, new tubes, etc. my favorites are

Ruby EL34s i nthe outer sockets (assuming its class a/simul), two mesa NOS 6l6s in the middle two, balanced 12AT7s in V1 and V2, the rest are older fender Groove tubes, the ones with bright red paint, and they are late-distortion tubes. I still get roaring metal gain out of it on the lead channel, plenty for metal. the AT7s seemed to smooth it out, it sounds amazing, and the clean is obviously very clean, but with volume at 9+ and humbuckers, it gets just enough breakup to sound great.

I had good luck with that preamp tube "cocktail" from Dougstubes.com and SED =C='s when I
had a MKIV.

I bought a MkIV on eBay that came with the fabled "cocktail" tube set. I played it for a couple of weeks and then ordered a retube kit from Eurotubes with 3 JJ ECC83 goldpins, one standard and one balanced for the V5 position. The power section is JJ6L6/E34L. There was a noticeable difference. The JJs fattened up the tone ALOT. I like to run the E34Ls in the class A sockets for a different kind of tone in contrast to 6L6s. To me, it makes the amp more versatile and the E34Ls have a marvelous crunch that sounds good with all 3 channels in class A mode, run in pentode or triode either one. I am going to order the high gain front end kit to use with the 6L6/E34L power tubes and get a 6V6 set to use with the gold pin preamp section, and see just how extremely versatile that one little amp can get!

Good times man, good times!

Its a matter of taste but I tried lots of different tubes in my Mark IV (JJ, EH, Tung Sol, SED, Mullard, Sovtek) and after hours of tweaking I found that for good balanced METAL tones, Sovtek brand in an all 6L6 configuration are the way to go for me. I'm using high gain grade tubes in the preamp section however, normal gain would be good as well because I use hot Dimarzio and EMG pickups in my guitars and I have to roll off my volume since I have way too much gain at the input. While you can achieve good sounds at low volume with the combo this amp really shine at higher settings with the increased sound projection and low-end of a good cab.

Hey-I went thru Eurotubes for my 1974 Fender twin Reverb and it sound`s awesome with the J.J.`s so I ordered the High gain set for the Mark IV.I have to say that Eurotubes was great to work with and took care of all my question`s,stay away from Tube Depot as I could not get a match quad set from them.Sent two set`s back before going to Eurotubes.Good Luck

Just to get back to you.I ordered the high gain full set with KT77`s from Eurotubes and it has tighten the overall sound and clean`s are clearer then I have ever heard from my combo before-cut`s thru the mix which I know you have no problem with and my bass is tighter sounding,the Rythem has alot more gain with more crunch then my 6L6`s (Mesa and Tung-sol).I hope this help`s and goodluck

thanks, but I already ordered a matched quad of SED winged C 6l6s..should be here today or tomorrow, I'll let every know what I think of them in my Mark IV, compared to the Electro Harmonix 6l6 that are in it now.

Latest posts

Back