Mark IV question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnqa800720

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a used Mark IV combo and I am curious if anyone knows what the bag is that is fastened to the bottom of the combo cab? It looks to be a leather type case - but for what I do not know.

Thanks,
Shawn

shawnqa800720 said:
Hi,

I just got a used Mark IV combo and I am curious if anyone knows what the bag is that is fastened to the bottom of the combo cab? It looks to be a leather type case - but for what I do not know.

Thanks,
Shawn
From this question I can tell you are not worthy of your mark IV and must sell it to me :D !

primeholy said:
shawnqa800720 said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Shawn
From this question I can tell you are not worthy of your mark IV and must sell it to me :D !

Yeah...I have been out of the Amp knowledge world for a long time. I have owned a boogie since 1988 though, so I can at least attest to their durability (same amp since 88 - .50 Cal+ half stack)

I went from a DC-5 to a Mark IVa and I prefer the Mark IV.

The distortions sound very similar to my ear, and so did the cleans. I haven't found my perfect clean in either amp (the perfect clean tone can only come from a Lonestar), but I've found some **** good settings on both. Rhythm 2 on the Mark IV is kinda funny sounding, but whatever I did recently I've found a very nice, almost Plexi-like crunch from this channel, and it sounds fantastic with my Strat. I prefer the reverb on the Mark IV to the DC-5, to the point where I had my amp tech put in a reverb footswitch jack.

The biggest immediate difference I've noticed between the two is that the Mark IV is a good bit more compressed and, perhaps it's my preamp tubes, has more balls. The Mark IV is far more versatile as well - I can easily dial in tones from Andy Timmons to John Petrucci (think Once in a Livetime) to early Metallica to John Mayer and even Vai-esque tones. I have the Mark IVa combo with a C90 in it, and I've hated that speaker in both the Mark IV and DC-5 combos. It's one of the stiffest, least satisfying speakers I've ever heard. That being said, I normally run my Mark IV through a VHT 412 cab with V30s in it. Yum.

The only thing the Mark IV could possibly be missing is a Solo level. And although my Stiletto Ace (my first Boogie) had the Solo option, I don't miss it one bit.

All said, the Mark IV fits my ear and my personality better, since I'm a tweaker.

^^^my feelings exactly.
I went from a Red stripe III to a IVa combo and I run it thru a reto 2X12 cab. mine is pretty open sounding (for some reason) and that is one of the reasons I bought it.
It's very close sounding to the III I had but has more "ooomph" to it.
oh and the far superior channel swithing, usable clean etc.
I actually really like my R2. I use a Boss SD-1 in front of if and bypass the onboard GEQ and use my MXR 10 band in the loop.
this is my 'fusion channel. I've got it dialed in really crunchy and bright like a Greg Howe /Guthrie Govan type of tone.
with both EQ's on the lead channel I can get pretty close to a sharper more defined Recto type of sound, which is how I usually run it.
sounds great with my 7 stringers. :D

Back