Mark IV preamp vs. JMP-1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesieBooga

Reaction score
JMP-1's are great. They can sound a bit solid state, but nonetheless it works and sounds great. Live I found heads always to be bigger.

rabies said:
MesieBooga said:
JMP-1's are great. They can sound a bit solid state, but nonetheless it works and sounds great. Live I found heads always to be bigger.

Bigger? I don't understand that. Are you saying tube heads are heavier or louder than tube combo amp equivalents???

Ministry used JMP-1 with Marshall 9200 power amps in the 90's (e.g. filth pig). I just love that sound, esp. the harmonic feedback.
He's probably saying it's easier to haul a combo that a head and cabinet, since you can't play a head without a cabinet, can you?

I found amps with the power section combined ("heads" :wink: ) sounded fuller, larger more 3D. I even tred a Triaxis in a Diezel loop. I switched back and forth on the fly;The Diezel was fuller more 3D live.

is there anybody out there that doesn't use the mark iv preamp??

I use a GCX to switch between the preamp of my Mark IV combo and an Egnater IE-4 preamp. Both preamps are, of course powered by the Iv's power amp section via its effects loop.

The Egnater is more of a Marshall based circuit and allows me to deviate some from the Mesa preamp tone. I use the IV's clean, sor super clean, and the Egnater's for more of a Marshall (read slight break-up) type clean. The Egnater;s channel 2 is similar to the IV's channel 2, but sounds more Marshally. Channels 3 & 4 of the Egnater is a little clearer (less smooth) than the IV's lead.

Latest posts

Back