Mark IV Power Tube config poll

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which power tube setup do you prefer in a Mark IV?

• (4) 6L6 power tubes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • (2) 6L6 power tubes & (2) EL34’s

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Come on !!!!

Let's do it how Boogie intended.

2 GT6L6GE and 2 6CA7GE's.

Now, how Boogie really intended it.

2 STR-415 and 2 STR-416. Sylvania/Phillips 6L6GC's and FatBoy 6CA7's.

For the life of me I cannot find STR-416's. I have a brand new quad of STR-415's ready to go !!!

EL34 and 6L6 / also what about 6V6's ? / and don't forget my yellow jackets / EL84

I am caught in the middle. I like the 6L6/EL-34 combo for the R2 channel and all 6L6 for the lead channel. This is why I think they (Mesa) need to make a MkIV Coliseum with a quad of 6L6's and a pair of EL-34's. Utilize the progressive linkage from the Road King, seperate bass and mid controls for R1 and R2, and auto EQ for each channel seperately.The Tweed feature must stay intact. All this in a long chassis head format or 2x12 combo. If they will build it, I will come.

I like the all 6L6 configuration in my Mark IV because I get enough EL34 flavor from my JMP, JCM800, and the VL. I got my Mark IV for the American Mesa flavor.

JOEY B. said:
I am caught in the middle. I like the 6L6/EL-34 combo for the R2 channel and all 6L6 for the lead channel. This is why I think they (Mesa) need to make a MkIV Coliseum with a quad of 6L6's and a pair of EL-34's. Utilize the progressive linkage from the Road King, seperate bass and mid controls for R1 and R2, and auto EQ for each channel seperately.The Tweed feature must stay intact. All this in a long chassis head format or 2x12 combo. If they will build it, I will come.
Wow, that would be THE amp!!! I would buy it too.

I finally had the chance to try out my EL-34 tubes.
I love them!!
They added more tone options to my Mark IV.

I still love the 6L6 tubes too. The 6L6 tubes sound a little more fuller.
But the EL-34 tubes have a growl to them I like.
The cleans didn't suffer as much as I thought they would. They sounded great acually.

Thanks for taking the poll.

JAZZGEAR said:
Antoine said:
4 6L6's give the best tones out of the MarkIV IMHO !

+1, Completely agree...IMHO this is the best sounding config. :!:
+1

I havent used EL34's in quite some time now. The ones that came with my amp were used...as was the amp. They were Electro Harmonix EL's along with Stylvenea (sp) 6L6's.

Last summer I threw a matched quad of GT 6L6's in and havent looked back. Thinking about trying JJ's or a retube kit from Eurotubes.

6L6's and EL34's at the moment. Got a pair of STR450's from paytojt and love'm so far. However, I really want to try 6V6's. Boogiebabies, I PM'd you quite awhile back on some STR416's on Ebay. Were they not the real deal? I saw some more pop up on Ebay not too long ago. They are rare!

Latest posts

Back