Mark IV or Mark V for classic rock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First post!
Hello to you all.

This week I played more than once a Mark V at the local music store. From Mesa, I only knew the rectifier series, actually I've owned a Roadking IIv2, but in the end I don't like them.
But as a longtime Engl user, i have to say, i'm totally blown away by the tones of the Mark V! I can't sleep at night, shall I trade my savage120 yes or no...
But I've made up my mind: the Engl has to go....

And here is what confuses me: in my area I can buy a used MK4 for 1.750 euro's. Shall I buy this one and get comfortable with the Mark design, or should I buy a brand new Mark V for twice the money.

I mainly use a clean sound, a crunch sound for rhytm and medium gain for soloing.

Thank you.

The Riffing Dutchman said:
This week I played more than once a Mark V at the local music store. But as a longtime Engl user, i have to say, i'm totally blown away by the tones of the Mark V! I can't sleep at night, shall I trade my savage120 yes or no...But I've made up my mind: the Engl has to go....

And here is what confuses me: in my area I can buy a used MK4 for 1.750 euro's. Shall I buy this one and get comfortable with the Mark design, or should I buy a brand new Mark V for twice the money.

I mainly use a clean sound, a crunch sound for rhytm and medium gain for soloing.

Thank you.
If money is a real problem, then the Mark IV should give you what you said you need. The amps are very similar, but the Mark V has many more options and is probably easier to dial-in. However, I'd have a hard time NOT buying an amp that kept me up at night!

For classic rock, the Mark V seems significantly better. You can get a wide range of juicy clean, low gain, and mid-gain tones on channels 1 and 2. The IV is much more limited. Keep in mind that you can dial in lower-gain tones on the lead channels of both amps; you don't need to make them do metal.

Back