Mark IV newbie questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giacomo

Reaction score
hi guys!
i'm almost new in this section, also because i should become a new Mark IV-A owner in a week (the amp is flying to italy!).
actually, the problem is that up to now i have been playing just transistor amps (Marshall) & other digital stuffs (e.g. zoom gfx-8), where i founded a lot of poor sounds, but also everything i needed..

i have just a few questions (very stupid questions :roll: ):

1) should i need to buy a boost for the mkiv? i saw and heard a lot of cool boosts, and i think it is essential for a live performance..what do you think about the Xotic AC Booster and the Time Machine Boost?

2) i will use the mkiv both for studying and live shows, but i'm living in a flat, and i think my neighbours will shot me shortly if i start using it in my room :D . is the THD hotplate attenuator the only solution to my problem?

3) i think i should change all my (digital) effects since they are not at the level of the mkIV. what are your suggestions? i mean, do u think a should orient my decision to an eventide/g force/g system or to some analogic pedals (e.g. Fulltone Mini deja & vibeFulltone OCD)? would i be able to switch the mkiv channels with a midi pedalboard connected to a g force?

sorry 1) for my english ( :D ), and 2) cause i'm a newbie :?

thanks!
Giacomo

Hi Giacomo,

I'll answer your questions in order;

1) Every amp head I've owned (including in the last few years Peavey XXX, 3ch Recto, 2ch Recto, Diezel Herbert) I've boosted. I don't boost the IV, infact, I plug straight in with nothing in the way of the tone from guitar to amp. In my opinion, the IV does not need a boost at all.

2) The Mark IV has a fantastic master volume, and sounds great on 0.1 and on 10, so you shouldn't need that either. The Marks can get whisper quiet and still sound reasonable.

3) That's your choice - pedals or rack? I use the G-Major and switch channels with a combination of that and my FCB1010. I also have a latching switch to switch between Class A/Simul-Class. So I prefer rack and would go for the G-Force. I would love a G-Force to replace my G-Major, but I'm looking at another guitar at the minute :(

Hope these have helped somewhat - you will love the amp.

Rather than use a boost pedal for the Mark IV, I simply use the EQ in my G- Major when I want more volume for solong. It works well. As for using a boost for more gain, I really don't think the IV needs it. There's more than enough gain for my needs by just using the amp.

The Mark IV footswitch is awesome. But, I control my Mark IV via midi. I use a Voodoo Labs GCX switcher and Ground Control pedal. The IV has switch jacks for all its functions, so I just plug a short Hosa snake inthe appropriate jacks and connect them to the GCX.

I also use the GCS to switch an Egnater IE-4 preamp in and out of the signal chain using the GCX. It's a very handly unit.

Enjoy your new amp!

The MarkIV is one of those amps you just plug your guitar into and go.. nothing required.

That said, sometimes I like to goose R1 and R2 with a clean boost for a little punch.

The master volume is great so dont worry about neighbors.. you can always use Class A, tweed, triode and get cranked tone at low volumes.

oh! that's good... even because i don't have to worry for my neighbours :wink: !

thanks for your replies..!

ok, i've never thought at using g-major instead of a booster. it works fine? i think i will go for a rack firstly, since it (g-force/major/eclipse) has all i need..and hopefully should sound good with the mkiv..!

but u can use the midi ground control also if there is no midi-input in the amp??

giacomo said:
but u can use the midi ground control also if there is no midi-input in the amp??

you don't need a midi input on the amp, you connect the ground control to the rack unit and connect to the 1/4" external switching jacks on the back panel of the mark iv

Think of it like this. The switching jacks control individual functions on the Mark IV. Channels, loop, etc. When you use a midi switcher, like the Axess Electronics CFX4 or the Voodoo Labs GCX, you can connect each jack to those on the back of your Mark IV. Then program that unit with midi to suit your presets. The Eventide Eclipse and TC G-Major also have switching relays, but there are just two of them.

you won't need to boost anything unless you find you need more gain out of your rhy2 channel.. but it a pretty dam sweet tone anyway..

with the Fx's i think you will need to sort that out with you get your amp..

volumes are not a problem, you can set the volume at quite a few different places.. it can be very very quite or so loud it will blow your head off...

this is the worlds best amp.. you just have to find the tones now..

I have had my Mark IV for a little over a month. I cannot find any reason to use a boost pedal, as the sounds are wonderful straight in. I may try and throw my compressor pedal in front just to see if it can improve a near perfect sound palette.

One thing I would highly recommend is to copy off the settings sheets that are in the owner's manual (as well as Mesa's site in the owners manual section) and make notes of your settings when you get a sound you like.

There are way more variables on this amp than most and trying to memorize right away is nearly impossible.

I think you will really love what this amp is capable of.

i was thinking at the rack..
what do you think about tc g system..? i've used it just for a couple of hours, and i believe it's great..
but i don't know if it is worth.. i mean... 1200 euros are even more than what i paid for the mkIV... :?

Check out the digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive pedal. It works great with the Mark! IT will only set you back 50 bucks..... Does not alter your tone, it can take R2 over the top just in volume boost mode.....

Platypus said:
The MarkIV is one of those amps you just plug your guitar into and go.. nothing required.

That said, sometimes I like to goose R1 and R2 with a clean boost for a little punch.

The master volume is great so dont worry about neighbors.. you can always use Class A, tweed, triode and get cranked tone at low volumes.

I use a little bit of clean boost from my GT-6 in the loop of my Mark IV for solos. I set up the lead channel with eq for rhythm and kick off the eq for solos and kick on about 7db of clean boost from the GT-6 eq with a little delay. Basically I always have it on and just run it through the loop so to go to my solo sound takes all of two clicks, one from LEADEQ to LEAD and one to turn on the effects loop. It works great. I also unplugged my Weber Mass150 from my setup if that tells you anything about attenuators. I'm probably going to end up selling it as I really don't see any need in having it with this amp unlike my Legacy where it was an absolute necessity.

Back