Mark IV & LSC?? maybe an Egnater MOD50??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konstantine

Reaction score
Hello folks!!

I have a Mark IV which i think is great but i'm gasing for another amp these days.

i think that the mark has the awesome saturated tone i'm looking for but i'd like to have a softer amp as well.. i think that the LSC is ideal for that mild, rich, smooth, phat & sensitive tone i'm looking for..

what do you think? are the two amps similar in any way so it will make owing both inordinate?? how well they complement each other??

I also though that maybe a MOD50 (from egnater) will be better because its so **** versatile in both mid and hi-gain sounds..

thanks!
konstantine

As far as I know, the lonestar is an evolution of the Mark series.

That being said, I know Petrucci uses the two amps in his setup as the only two right now. That's gotta mean something. He uses them for cleans, and an alternate lead sound.

The tone is definitely "mild, rich, smooth, phat & sensitive" as you mention. I was able to get a big, Fendery sound out of the LSC. It can also generate good medium rock 'n roll overdrive, and has some great blues tones too. IMO, it would make a good compliment to the Mark.

I tested both an LSS and an LSC, liking them both, but preferring the 6L6 tone in the LSC. I found several sounds in the LSC that really hit my target, but given my generally harder and edgier style, there were more misses than hits. And although the hits were great, present budget constraints prevent me from shelling out the $$$ for those few hits, especially since I can get most of them with the Rectoverb and/or the Mark IV.

Hi, I'm not saying don't buy another amp...but... when I put 6V6's in my MK IV it was like having a new amp. If I were in your situation ...I'd at least try that first (could save yourself a lot of cash). 8) 8) 8) :)

what was the difference with the 6V6?

i'm running it now with El34 and 6L6, I like class A (just the EL34) for Leads and rythm 2 and simulclass for cleans

thanx
konstantine

The 6V6's will have a sweeter sound reminiscent of the great sound of a Deluxe Reverb. To me it sounds like a big fat Deluxe Reverb with many more options. I tried 6v6's as an experiment (6yrs ago) liked the results, and haven't put the 6L6's back. Download a MK IV manual if you don't have one ,as you will have to use Tweed power & Simulclass when using 6V6's. It's been discussed here before.

I have both, and I think that the LSC has one of the best lead tones on the planet, especially when hit with a good overdrive. I'd set the Mark IV up to give you the ideal heavy rhythm tone, then use the LSC for clean and Hard rock, and leads when hit with a good boost ( ie, BB preamp). I think they compliment each other very well.

Back