Mark IV just keeps getting better

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicman10_1

Reaction score
I have had my Mark IV widebody combo since May and the thing just keeps getting better and better. Or maybe I am getting better at dialing in good tones. For anyone just starting with this amp you need to be patient and trust that the sounds you want are in this amp - you simply need to learn how to work the controls so that what you want is what you get.

Also, the sample settings in the manual are really good and should be dialed up periodically just to get you back to a good point of reference for what the amp is capable of.

Off to play again!

musicman10_1 said:
I have had my Mark IV widebody combo since May and the thing just keeps getting better and better. Or maybe I am getting better at dialing in good tones. For anyone just starting with this amp you need to be patient and trust that the sounds you want are in this amp - you simply need to learn how to work the controls so that what you want is what you get.

Also, the sample settings in the manual are really good and should be dialed up periodically just to get you back to a good point of reference for what the amp is capable of.

Off to play again!

Hi John,

I agree wholeheartedly that it just keeps getting better with the Mark IV but you have to be patient. It's amazing how one little tweak or one little push or pull opens up a whole new dimension. As well the amp is really responsive to the changes in input caused by the guitar's volume/tone knobs and pickup selector and how hard or lightly you play. I've had some amps that just didn't seem to be able to track that stuff.

Michel

Sorry not wanting to hi-jack the thread but wanted to share:

I went on a trip with my girlfriend this weekend to see her Aunt and Uncle. Well we get there and this is my first time meeting her uncle and we get to talking and he told me yeah i hear you play some guitar. So we do all our talking and he asks me what amp i use. I told him a mesa boogie dual rectifier, he then says ahh, i have a mark IV head and 4x12 with black shadows in the other room.

I got really excited because i have been wanting to play a Mark IV for so long now and no shops by me carry mesa boogie without a little bit of a trip. Well it turns out he didn't have any power tubes anymore because he was replacing them. This made me want to cry. So for the entire weekend i had to look at this thing and just wish to play it. The saddest thing of all is he is a pilot and is hardly ever home. Such a beautiful amp going to waste.

Ok sorry just had to tell my story! Hope to try one sometime :)

JamesD said:
Sorry not wanting to hi-jack the thread but wanted to share:

I went on a trip with my girlfriend this weekend to see her Aunt and Uncle. Well we get there and this is my first time meeting her uncle and we get to talking and he told me yeah i hear you play some guitar. So we do all our talking and he asks me what amp i use. I told him a mesa boogie dual rectifier, he then says ahh, i have a mark IV head and 4x12 with black shadows in the other room.

I got really excited because i have been wanting to play a Mark IV for so long now and no shops by me carry mesa boogie without a little bit of a trip. Well it turns out he didn't have any power tubes anymore because he was replacing them. This made me want to cry. So for the entire weekend i had to look at this thing and just wish to play it. The saddest thing of all is he is a pilot and is hardly ever home. Such a beautiful amp going to waste.

Ok sorry just had to tell my story! Hope to try one sometime :)

yup JamesD, that has got to be just about the saddest story of all. hahahaha :wink: :wink: . Just kidding !!

Look at it this way, now you've got an added reason to go see uncle Pilot more often. Just make sure that he's got power tubes next time before you head out. If not, bring your own! Hey if you don't have a Mark IV yourself, it's good to know that there's one in the extended family.

Thanks for sharing and take care,

Michel

Michel

Out of all my amps I've had my Mark IV the longest, 7 years now.

Still finding new tones and the amp still keeps up with alot of newer designs IMO.

That is a very good idea. I think we are going back next month, i will be sure to bring some power tubes. I think he will be away anyway, so i will have it to myself. That is also a good point that it is atleast in the family!

I've got my MarkIV Short Head since September 1998 now, and beleive it or not, i always find new tones out of this gem !

Antoine said:
I've got my MarkIV Short Head since September 1998 now, and beleive it or not, i always find new tones out of this gem !

Hello Antoine,

I've been converted myself and I'm a believer.. :wink: It's a great amp to work and play with. I know I'm repeating myself but it has an enormous amount of knob twirling and push/pulling possibilities. Probably something for just about everyone if you look hard and long enough.

Michel

I've had my Mk IV since '92. Absolutely the best amp I've ever played. I had many amps before and I've had several amps since (as second amps). All the rest have been shown the door. Many have had one or two really good sounds but not versatile enough for me. After 15 years of ownership it still thrills me. One thing, alot of people seem to knock the R2 channel. I look at R2 as a boost channel to R1 (clean). They are closely voiced - R2 having some grind in the voicing. Some people may be trying to get a full blown third different channel. I set mine up with R1 clean, R2 on the edge of break-up (I usually kick it up with one of five OD petals) and R3 as the lead voice. Suits me just fine.

Scorch said:
I've had my Mk IV since '92. Absolutely the best amp I've ever played. I had many amps before and I've had several amps since (as second amps). All the rest have been shown the door. Many have had one or two really good sounds but not versatile enough for me. After 15 years of ownership it still thrills me. One thing, alot of people seem to knock the R2 channel. I look at R2 as a boost channel to R1 (clean). They are closely voiced - R2 having some grind in the voicing. Some people may be trying to get a full blown third different channel. I set mine up with R1 clean, R2 on the edge of break-up (I usually kick it up with one of five OD petals) and R3 as the lead voice. Suits me just fine.

Hello Scorch,

sounds to me like you've got your Mark IV pretty well dialed in on all three channels. I also don't have any qualms with R2.

My R2 settings are pretty well a clone of my R1 settings,
gain at 6.5, treble at 6, bass at 2, mids at 3, presence at 4. As you say, R2 adds a bit of grind itself and I use the guitar volume and pick attack to bring out more or less raunch out of the channel. I also use the R1 gain push/pull to brighten or darken the sound and the R2 gain and presence push/pulls to fatten or switch the tone depending on the song. I'm still experimenting at this point so it's a work in progress but the sounds I'm coming up with fit the Classic Rock & R&B material that I play with my band.

Take care,

Michel

I bought my Mark IV three years ago. It was one of the ones CC was discounting. I found out about it on the HC Forum. It had some minor flaws, all taken care of my MB. I keep thinking I want to sell it, just because I want something smaller and simpler. Then I play the **** thing and fall in love all over. THis is an amazing amp.

TW

Scorch said:

I agree, R2 is an extension of R1 with the same base voicing just with some dirt added in. Once I realized that and didn't try to force R2 to be something it wasn't I actually get alot more use out of it :)

I think I have R2 where I want it, but I had to learn how to work R2. The think is R1 and R3 are easy to get awesome tone out of, but R2 takes some time. I've only had the amp a couple of months, but I am totally impressed with the MKIV.

Just wanted to say that this is the first amp I've had that I still love after the honeymoon phase! It seemed with other amps I liked the sound one day and hated it the next. The MkIV is like a trusty old friend, I know exactly how it's going to sound, unless something is broken. I still have the stock tubes in, so I know this thing can sound even better!

As for dialing it in, I think it's a matter of finding the pent.triode switch/push-pull/power setting combination that works for you. I've found I like a different combo when on the R2 setting, which involves a little tweaking. I had a great AC/DC "For those about to Rock" tone going the other day with reverb and all!

This is what makes me lean towards getting a Mark IV in the near future. I have my Dual Rectifier, but one day i will like my tone and the next i can't stand it.

JamesD said:
This is what makes me lean towards getting a Mark IV in the near future. I have my Dual Rectifier, but one day i will like my tone and the next i can't stand it.

The Mark IV is a great addition to a Rectifier! Hook 'em up both at the same time through a splitter (which is what I'm doing), they complement each other very nicely!

Back