Mark IV = GREAT Jazz tones!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I played an acoustic show with my lead singer the other night in Springfield, Mo from 9pm-ish to 1am..... But from 6pm until 9pm, there is a 4 peice Jazz band that plays there. Usually its the same 4 guys that have been there for years and they sound really good, but this time it was a different band - and as soon as I walked in the door my ears immediately noticed the guitar tone. Fat, punchy tones with just enough highs to round out the tone. He was playing a Gibson hollow body guitar (a Dot maybe??) through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV...... and I couldn't keep for drooling!

Not sure how the knobs were set or what channel he was .....and I planned on talking *shop* with him, but by the time we started setting up he was gone.

I knew Boogies could rock and even twang, but I never knew a Boogie could sound that good for Jazz :shock:

I just got an ESP ES-335 yesterday and I have found these settings to be pretty rad:

Rhy1 Gain 7 pushed
R1 Treble 6.5
Bass 4.5
Mid 2.5
Presence 3.5

Tweed Power
Class A
Triode

You get either a pretty sweet BB King'ish bluesy tone out of the bridge position or really warm and jazzy with the neck pickup and the tone rolled off a bit.

R1 on a Mark IV and a Les Paul can be bluesy if pushed and very jazzy if rolled out a bit.. LP cleans sound great with a blend on the middle pickup position (tone off on neck, volume on neck is half way) (full vol, full tone on bridge).

Sounds killer on R2 as well with a touch of boost

I read somewhere Walter Trout uses factory suggested "death metal" settings on the lead channel with guitar volume rolled off.

~trem

tele_jas said:
Notice you use Beam Blockers...... I use them too!! Great little addition to any amp!

I use them in my Z's

Yeah me too I have them in my 2x12 recto cab, love them! Need to get one for my Peavey Classic 30. Got them a couple of months it was one of ibanez4life’s posting that encouraged me to get them.

Thanks ibanez4life !

trem said:
I read somewhere Walter Trout uses factory suggested "death metal" settings on the lead channel with guitar volume rolled off.

~trem

Yeah I remember seeing that on a youtube video. Took a quick look but can’t find it.

No problem kind sir! Beamblockers are amazing little things, and I'm glad I got the word to someone :D

ibanez4life SZ! said:
No problem kind sir! Beamblockers are amazing little things, and I'm glad I got the word to someone :D

Yeah, I was really surprised with them. Once I put some electrical tape on them as a gasket, anyway. **** front-loaded combos.

Latest posts

Back