Mark IV "faceplate"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamerz

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here.

I am not sure if it is called a "faceplate" or what, but mine is missing as you can see in the picture. Is it just a solid block of wood wrapped in cover? Or does it actually allow air to flow through?

Mesa has ones I can buy but they want $80+ for it. Considering it doesn't make any difference in sound I want to just make my own.

mesa.jpg

Thanks!

Is it due to the fact that its a solid piece of wood that there is a fan in the amp? I mean, I've come across many tube amps but none seem to have fans in them. yeah, the tube rack power amps do, but not heads. How many of you have unplugged the fan? Mine is not too noisy in tweed, but in full power, I can certainly hear and feel the fan. Its so powerful, it pulls the nearby curtain drapes toward the amp :lol:

emperor_black said:
Is it due to the fact that its a solid piece of wood that there is a fan in the amp? I mean, I've come across many tube amps but none seem to have fans in them. yeah, the tube rack power amps do, but not heads. How many of you have unplugged the fan? Mine is not too noisy in tweed, but in full power, I can certainly hear and feel the fan. Its so powerful, it pulls the nearby curtain drapes toward the amp :lol:

Given there is barely enough room to stick your little finger inside a Mark IV short head, I think the fan is required to keep things cool. My fan is obnoxiously loud but I can get over it if the tubes last longer.

It is not solid. It's a rectangular frame with grill cloth stretched over it and stapled in the back.

CudBucket said:
It is not solid. It's a rectangular frame with grill cloth stretched over it and stapled in the back.

Mesa must have changed the design from time to time. My headshell was purchased from Mesa two weeks ago. The front panel is one solid board with no openings. If you look at Tamerz's picture, you can see that the faceplate attaches in the middle with Velcro. A cutout frame would not work well.

Must be one of those things that changed over the years. I have a 2008 medium head and it has a solid wood front wrapped in grill cloth.

I had a short head back in say, 2005. Bought it new at GC and I could have sworn it was a frame with a piece of ply down the middle. I guess for stiffness and a place for the logo screw. Now I'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back