Mark IV and major metal bands

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mark IV is a complicated amp with a large number of options. Most touring bands do not want to deal with a complicated amp on the road. I'm sure there are more people using the Mark IV in the studio - It's the swiss army knife of tube heads.

On the other hand, Recto and Marshalls are dead simple. Look at music in the last 15 years... Mostly dead simple.

Bullen said:
The Offspring used Mark IV´s earlier, still may.

Still using them.

Pennywise used them too on most records except straight ahead, the fuse, pennywise and everything before that one .

rabies said:
It seems to me that this amp should be much more popular than it is.
I don't know about nowadays but back in 2000 when I bought my Mark IV the manager of the GC I bought it from told me it was by far the best selling of the Mesa amps.

t0aj15 said:
rabies said:
It seems to me that this amp should be much more popular than it is.
I don't know about nowadays but back in 2000 when I bought my Mark IV the manager of the GC I bought it from told me it was by far the best selling of the Mesa amps.

I would probably say the Dual and triple Rectos are the top selling now. I know I had to travel To the House of Guitars in Rochester NY to try a Mark IV. My local Guitar Center never has MArk IV's in stock (nor, as I'm told by their reps, do they carry them as a stock item.) They go through tons of Rectos though.

I haven't seen a mark IV sitting in a music store in almost a year now. and I am in and out of every music store in a 30 mile radius watching what used gear they get in. I think the rectos are so popular because they are DEAD simple. just give it the good old southern sweep and call it a day. but the mark series you actually have to know what you are doing. though the mark series (especially III's and IV's) are making a huge resurgence in popularity right now. I think due to the fact that people are playing solos again, and playing things with more than three power chords, so the definition and tone of the mark series is suddenly much more relevant.

I dont understand how people say you cant solo with a recto. My recto solo's great with a boost in front, great leads etc.... Plus great rythem, just a great amp.

I'd have to agree with rabies on the recto cutting through. I've played a 2 chan triple in a blues band and it was hard to really cut through the mix. A tubescreamer did help but wasn't what i was looking for

Fates Warning used IVs on their Disconnected album and on a couple tracks from their latest album. I am starting to gas for a IV hard these days.

You know, reading through this thread, I just can't help but notice how many Punk bands use the Mark IV...That's pretty sweet. 8)

Shep said:
Daxman73 said:
Shep said:
PUNK BANDS ! :shock:

Yes, Punk bands...It's kool that at least they use good equipment.

Using it and destorying it are different things.. :D

Most 'punk' bands that are using mark IV's are skatepunkbands(pennywise, offspring, nofx). They are not like normal punk. it's melodic, is produced fairly good and they don't break stuf.

didnt the offspring use the mark IV? its just a good amp all around. and possibly the most versatile piece of gear around

Back