Mark IV and major metal bands

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ said:
I used to play punk but never destroyed an amp.

yeah, then you played proper punk..

People like Avil lavine ( skater boy ) can't spell her name..i remember seeing her ( on TV ) put a PRS thought a marshall quad..when i say prs i mean custom 24.. awful...then she smashed it into little bits all over the stage..

Ouch...

Well, when I was playing punk it was more common to see the heavy metal acts do stuff like that. Us punks were too poor to be able to do that.

Well no amp will cut through if you do not have a boost in a two band situation, that is the sounds mans job. If he is doing is job right when you start to solo he will put you a little higher in the mix. This should be with any amp on any stage.

That is one of the reasons Mesa put the solo function on the newer 3 channel and roadkings, you are suppose to set it at a higher volume for when you solo so you cut through better.

rabies said:
siggy14 said:
I dont understand how people say you cant solo with a recto. My recto solo's great with a boost in front, great leads etc.... Plus great rythem, just a great amp.

Well, let me clarify. I've said on here before than I LOVE playing my RK1 in ch3 RAW with EL34 & 6L6 mixed for blues and dorian leads. And obviously, cutting thru is helped by EQ.

But, I don't think a Recto would cut thru the mix well for leads in a band with 2 guitarists. Petrucci got away with the RK1 when I saw DT live 2 years ago. But there's no other guitarist in that band. And his tone sounded very dark, intimidating and "underground", so to speak, for rhythm parts.

And one of the reasons Mesa introduced the Stiletto was so you can use it to cut thru better for leads with a Recto for rhythms.

Do you or have you played leads with your Recto in a 2 guitarist band? Are there other bands that have 2 Rectos and use one for leads? I'm not counting Korn, that's not leads in the traditional sense.

Actually newer, pop punk is more produced and more melodic then old skater punk. Hell offspring was very produced compared to punk of its time.

These days most pop punk will used recto's, but we are also starting to see a huge surge in marshalls, or marshall sounding amps on stage. Alot of people are just getting sick of the Recto sound.

A good example of this is AFI, he was a ract recto user for most of the bands albums, I know they formed in 1992, not sure exactly what year he started using the rack recto, but has to be roughly around that time. Then for the 2003 sing for sorrow album he switched to marshall, and old plexi cranked and boosted and he had such creamy tone.

I recently saw them on SNL and it looks like he is using a JMP-1 preamp now, only reason i say that is because he had a four botten footswitch for marshall, and I cant think of any of there tube amps that use a four butten footswitch besides the JMP-1.

Aart said:
Shep said:
Daxman73 said:
Yes, Punk bands...It's kool that at least they use good equipment.

Using it and destorying it are different things.. :D

Most 'punk' bands that are using mark IV's are skatepunkbands(pennywise, offspring, nofx). They are not like normal punk. it's melodic, is produced fairly good and they don't break stuf.

Actually Avril deserves alot more respect then she gets. It sucks she is under a record contract, because she would be writting alot better music then you hear.

I actualy got stuck going to one of her shows, and I tell you now, she freaking rocked in concert and put on a **** good show and they sounded so tight.

As to equiptment, at the end of that song she just smashes the bottem of a guitar against the windshield, and if you look really quick you will see the pulled a guitar switch, you can tell it is one of the cheaper PRS, probaly an SE, and it doesnt even get destroyed.

That nice PRS you saw was her old guitarists that she ended up getting rid of because she had a thing with him, then they broke up. her new guitarists both play Les pauls going into mesa duals and they are very good and tight. Avil usually plays a fender Tele through a stiletto.

Shep said:
Russ said:

People like Avil lavine ( skater boy ) can't spell her name..i remember seeing her ( on TV ) put a PRS thought a marshall quad..when i say prs i mean custom 24.. awful...then she smashed it into little bits all over the stage..

I believe the first 3 albums where Mark IV's or some sort of mark, if they switched sometime after that I do not know. But ia m pretty sure i remember seeing pictures back in the day and i am pretty sure they were marks, maybe dual calibers, it has been a long time.

But sometime it looks like they did switch over to tremverbs, see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5h2cHxG_A

rabies said:
siggy14 said:
Bush also used Mark IV's.

On the Mesa artist gallery it states both of the Bush guitarists use Rectos. When did they use Mark IV's? I'm listening to the 6teen stone album right now and I can't tell what amp(s) exactly they used to record with. It doesn't sound like a Marshall definitely...

Aart said:
Bullen said:
The Offspring used Mark IV´s earlier, still may.

Still using them.

Pennywise used them too on most records except straight ahead, the fuse, pennywise and everything before that one .

I thought Fletch was using Mark IIIs.

siggy14 said:
Actually Avril deserves alot more respect then she gets. It sucks she is under a record contract, because she would be writting alot better music then you hear.

I actualy got stuck going to one of her shows, and I tell you now, she freaking rocked in concert and put on a **** good show and they sounded so tight.

As to equiptment, at the end of that song she just smashes the bottem of a guitar against the windshield, and if you look really quick you will see the pulled a guitar switch, you can tell it is one of the cheaper PRS, probaly an SE, and it doesnt even get destroyed.

That nice PRS you saw was her old guitarists that she ended up getting rid of because she had a thing with him, then they broke up. her new guitarists both play Les pauls going into mesa duals and they are very good and tight. Avil usually plays a fender Tele through a stiletto.

Shep said:
Russ said:

I watched an AOL Sessions show the other day, and they weren't using Rectos. One guy had Matchless and Orange amps, and the other one had a Carvin V3, Bogner XTC and Bogner Uber.

The tone was great.

Those Orange Rockerverb 100 amps are really cool sounding. They're totally the new Marshall amp for rock guitars.

Yeah i am not sure if she switched guitarists or if they just switched equiptment on this album. I am also no impressed at all with the new album or even there stage presense when i saw them on SNL.

Random Hero said:
siggy14 said:

Shep said:

I watched an AOL Sessions show the other day, and they weren't using Rectos. One guy had Matchless and Orange amps, and the other one had a Carvin V3, Bogner XTC and Bogner Uber.

The tone was great.

Scott K said:
Aart said:
Bullen said:
The Offspring used Mark IV´s earlier, still may.

Still using them.

Pennywise used them too on most records except straight ahead, the fuse, pennywise and everything before that one .

I thought Fletch was using Mark IIIs.

Dragge never used III's.

Mark IV's and Studio Preamp + Strategy 400, but he mostly used the IV in combination with the strategy.

See this pic:

kcr11vm1.jpg

Studio pre, mark IV, Strategy 400 stereo.

Back