Mark IV A vs Mark IV B

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam02

Reaction score
Whats the difference, im considering buying a brand new Imbuya/Wicker grille mark IV short head. 8)

i like A's...you would have to try both and see which one you like more!! also there about a millon of these threads so just look around and you will get answers more quickly..

Cool..Tom

I cant possibly try both, but im looking to create similair style rythmn and leads tones as petrucci, cos they sound amazing. How well can i recreate those tones of IIC+ with External EQs and ODs.

any input at all. thanks.

i own a A and it's got the mk IIc+ lead preamp and the really early ones somtimes have the same output transformer// the newer ones are very cool to..there the ones JP used..he had a C+ so he didn't need a A..there is a little more gain in the B's Rhy 2 ..the lead or the B is alittle more it's own sound..less like a c+...

there are many many other topics about this argument! however, adam02, if you want to buy a brand new markIV you can get it only in the "B" version. They aren't actually named so, "A" and "B" letters are used only to distinguish the newer (B) version from the older (A). The A version lead mode should be exactly the same as the markIIC+ lead PREAMP section. As many say, B lead tone seems to be a bit fatter and "modern" sounding (miles away from recto sound, however...fortunately imho)...

boogiebabies wrote

"Neither the A or B is a spot on representative of the IIC+.

There, I said it."

ME thinks Mesa Engineeering might agree... IMHO

I'm tweeking with my '05 Mk-IV widebody combo and enjoying the ahh..."work?"

Boogiebabies said:
Hey Les,

They actually disagree. That is why there is no IIC+ reissue.

In all honestly, the III and IV are sweeter and more versatile.
I would agree with more versatile, but what do you mean by sweeter?

Aye, I will submit to your expertese/knowlege & experience
Makes sense now that I think more about it, I believe that upon calling C.Service @ Mesa when transfering warranty from original owner of '05 Mk-IV I think I remember asking this question about no C+ RI, the Mk-IV is it

So basicly may I assume their succeding advancements from original Mk-Iseries to Mk-IV are a natural progression in tone technology for the Mark Series.

I'm in the process of getting a purple Hotplate for my "Amplified Heat"
Soon more tweeking!

I'd better get back to theory and practicing on my dogs leg and feet. Too much toying at having fun with technology and I'll fall behind in my Atonal Apples and woodshedding.

"I'm always learning somethin new all the time"

Stu Gutz said:
Boogiebabies said:
Hey Les,

They actually disagree. That is why there is no IIC+ reissue.

In all honestly, the III and IV are sweeter and more versatile.
I would agree with more versatile, but what do you mean by sweeter?

They made the circuit board out of sugar cane.

Well, really, there is tweaking to the lead circuit and way less plate voltage that leads to a bit less headroom, but an over all more compressed and smoother tone. I find them to be refined and have an almost boutique quality to them.

I think I have a 2005 MKIV. How can I determine this? Is there a manufacture date on it somewhere? Also... I played professionally in the 80's went to GIT... you know... dranks lotsa beer...etc. Anyway, The reason I ended up buying my MKIV was that I tried one in 1984 and almost wet myself in the store... unfortunately $$$ prevented me from leaving the store with it and spending time in the crowbar hotel. I've had many erotic dreams of those amps in that store way back in 2004. Poetry huh... anyway.... I'm sure those amps were MKIIC & C+ and the chugged... the bottom end was amazing and my MKIV doesn't so that like those did. Maybe it was the EV speakers? or the Theile cabs? Anyway... I play sometimes in our church (go figure...a rock guitarist in church) now and people can't believe the lead sound I get. I get compliments a lot on the solos. However, I do have a question.... Why can't Mesa do a custom modification on a MKIV A or MKIV B to make it identical to a MKIIC+ ? I mean change the out tranny, match the electronics, etc. so that it is a MKIV with a MKIIC+ Heart? Am I being unrealistic? If I dropped $$$ at them why wouldn't they do it? Couldn't it be done? I supose the next question would be would it be worth it? Is the MKIIC+ a beeter lead sound? All I remember is the MKII that I played was a more raw sound... bigger and chunkier... It was flipping huge sounding... Mk MKIV is tame compared to those beasts. Sometimes old memories bloat like cheerios in milk. Has my memory done that in this case? Maybe I just imagined it based on a whimpy Music Man amp I was playing at that time? I think if my memories are correct us MKIV owners should bombard Mesa with requestes to mod our MKIV's to MKIIC+'s!!!!! WHo's with me on this????? Talk to me fellow MK freaks!

errr...in 1984 I tried a mesa boogie MKII series combo..... not a MKIV as I know they didn't exist then. ;)

So are you telling me what I thought I heard was real.... and I wasn't imagining it? Cause if what I remember is true there is no way a MKIV even touches a MKIIC+.... a Champ vs. a Deluxe Reverb!

I would never do the change to make my MarkIV sound as a IIC+, i really like the sound of my amp as it is, (it's a B model, short Head) i really like the 3 channels on this amp, the clean 's got this very bell like tone i want in a clean sound, the RHY2 is very Brown sounding, perfect for my needs as rhythm parts and the Lead is very smooth and fluid just what i want for my playing.
This amp really has bottom end, a lot of fatness but still very clear, his lead tone shines with sustain for days and harmonics (just listen to the lead sound of my MarkIV below in my signature, the first sample, it was recorded without any equalization on the mixer, just the sound of the guitar directly pluged in the amp with a 2x12 Recto cabinet and a Shure in front of it, a little Delay was added later).
The thing is to find the right settings with this amp, and really important, to find the best cabinet, i find the Recto Cabs to be the best for this amp, My MarkIV sound 1000 times better through my 2x12 Horizontal Recto cab than through my Vintage 4x12 Marshall... so...
I really love this amp, it's perfect for me and i don't want it to sound like a IIC+.

If one wants a C+ sound go buy a C+
but don't dump the Mk-IV no one amp dose it all uh... maybe a decent imitation
I like my Mk-IV. I use not much in the way of effects pedals, well...
a DeLayla XL and a original style Vox Wah on ocasion
I enjoy the "plain?" sound of Guitar-Amp cause now I learning "Old School" style blues and R&R. '50s '60s
Later this amp this amp will be there should I decide to move on to more Modern stuff

Antoine's modesty amazes me. He would sound good through a Gorilla Amp.

So, where are we with the A/B debate?

With all due respect, I should have kept my mouth shut.
Now there's a lore that one is better than the other.

Sorry. :oops:

Back