Mark III+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it done on a Blue Stripe. It will round off the top end buzz and give more chunck to the bottom end. It will also clean up the R1 channel a bit. The amp seems to become a tad less gainy and a little less tight but had a more pleasing gain quality. I thought it was worth it for the $200 I paid at the time though I have since sold that amp in favor of a Studio Pre and 50/50 set-up.

If it's not broke don't fix it, but if you aren't satisified with the sound you currently have it's something to try. Personally I loved my stock blue stripe and would of never had it modded, but like I said, if it's not doing it for you then it couldn't hurt to get it modded.

Besides the changed perception of sound did it change the dynamics? Did it feel or respond any differently after the mod was done?

yrobbyy said:
Besides the changed perception of sound did it change the dynamics? Did it feel or respond any differently after the mod was done?

I thought it felt more dynamic but I can't be sure if that was actually the mod or MB cleaning up a 15 year old amp.

How does your Studio Pre set-up feel (not sound) compared to the MK III+ you had?

YES! I just put the prescence control on my Mark III Blue Stripe Head on 0 yesterday and liked it, now I read others do it too. Cool. It just sounded too sharp before.

BTW, I have a couple Mark IIC+ heads that I really love (I used to have 4 of them), so I am used to how they sound.

yrobbyy said:
How does your Studio Pre set-up feel (not sound) compared to the MK III+ you had?

Feel wise seems the same. Tone wise I liked it better because the cleans were much better and the gain character was VERY similar but has more clarity.

Shep said:
i just put the presence on 0 .. thats the secret..

I tried that as well but still there is a top end harshness on the III that the C+ mod took out.

I agree with keeping the Presence control low to control the "fizz" in a Mark III. I keep my blue stripe's below 2, and it sounds great.

Latest posts

Back