Mark III Worth

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Lee

Reaction score
I have an opportuntity to buy a Mark III serial #20526.

Anybody know what the amp is worth?

The seller is asking me to name a price but I don't even know what they are worth.

Thanks in advance

James

depends on stripe, style, and condition. usually anywhere between 600-1000. if it is a hardwood it is worth more, if its a coliseum its worth more, people tend to pay more for later stripes (blue and green fetch the most money)

if it has 6 power tubes its a coliseum, if only 4 then its not. the coliseum heads were designed to be much more powerful. the stripe is located on the back of the amp, above the power cord. there either will be none, a black dot or stripe, a purple stripe, a red stripe, a blue stripe, or a green. the no-stripe represents the initial offering of the mark III, and each stripe from there represents refinements and changes made in the amp. basically the no stripe sounds distinctively like a mark III, the green is pretty close to the IV that replaced it, and somewhere in the middle (red/blue depending, there are different opinions on that matter) it sounds similiar, though not the same as, a IIC+. I listed the stripes in order, and later stripes tend to fetch a higher resale value than earlier, though there aren't many no stripe III's, so those sell a little higher also

also theres the options. back in the 80's when these were made mesa was mainly a custom shop. so everything was optional, reverb, EQ, simul class, EV speaker. if it has any or all of these options, it will generally add to the resale value. though simul-class is a matter of taste, some people like simul-class better, some people prefer the more traditional power section

Mine is a mid-late 80's Blue Stripe, simulclass, reverb/eq (not graphic), EV speaker.. value?

a blue stripe without the GEQ will probably fetch around 700 or so depending on condition and the buyer

Schmoog said:
a blue stripe without the GEQ will probably fetch around 700 or so depending on condition and the buyer

That is still such a steal for this tonal beast... I'll never understand why more people don't/won't pick up on them.

Sounds like he wants $800 for it.
It is a Mark III red stripe with a date of 7/87 on it. It does have the EQ on it with a black shadow speaker.

What do you all think?

Thanks

James

I don't think his price is outrageous...but I think you could find another mark III for cheaper, or a mark 3 with more options for the same price.

Latest posts

Back