Mark III with Greenbacks... WOW

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robredo_mattila

Reaction score
Today I got to run my Purple stripe Mk. III simul w/EQ through a Marshall 1960AX slant 4x12 cab. In Class A EL34 mode the tones were killer, then I clicked in the EQ and switched to Simulclass. WOW Is all I can say. The tone was like Van Halen on steriods with a heap more gain. More like Jerry Cantrell territory, I haven't been that happy with my tone in a **** long time. Anyone else love greenbacks?

Really? I would think that 85 watts of power going into 100 watts worth of Greenbacks would push the speakers a little too much.

More than enough to keep up with a drummer, pretty **** loud. But I could've turned up a lot louder. I thought the Purple stripes were 15/75 watts? either way it would be interesting to see how the greenbacks react when pushed harder.

Did you try out the cleans? I don't think the greenbacks would be the best fit for R1.

Balance said:
Did you try out the cleans? I don't think the greenbacks would be the best fit for R1.

Yeah we did some Pat Metheny, the amp & speakers had great headroom. Only got a little bit of breakup when I really dug into it.

My settings were:
Volume 7
Treble 6
Bass 3
Middle 9
Master 4
Lead drive 6 - 7
Lead master 4
R2 Volume - 6.5 (I didn't use R2 with the cabinet at all so I have no idea how that sonds)
Presence - 2

None of the knobs were pulled, apart from the Volume which *might* have been on pull bright, I can't remember. Either way it sounded a million bucks and I was getting very little speaker breakup. I've played a '70 marshall superbass (Cranked) with a 1960a cab with the same 25w greenbacks (reissues) and that was an entirely different story, incredible interaction between the amp and speakers at volume.

I wonder if some Higher wattage greenbacks might be a better fit with the Mark. III ?

hehehe...looks like I left out "we" as well..
-funny you should bring that up...I used the Coli at the amp summit last week-Joey B. and Jay were both pretty sure I should use 2 Ev Thiele's-we did, and as joey said, he felt his sack move! :lol:

-back to topic, I had a cab w/gbacks and they just couldnt handle the wrath of my MK IV,clean,dirty,you name it-coupled it with an ev Thiele and it was a hellyeah moment

I used to run TSL100s thru a sweet '71 4x12 with the original GB 25s. Its was killer from low to high volume. The only issue is hauling them around! The older marshall birch 4x12s loaded with greens is (imo) one of the best hard rock speaker rigs ever.

I like Greenbacks. 4 Greenbacks with just about anything hooked to em sounds good. I would like to hear my Mark III through some. I bet it is amazing

Latest posts

Back