Mark III with fried resistors

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podicle

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a red stripe 60w Mark III. I've had a sneaking feeling for a couple of days that the amp's been emitting a burning smell, and that was confirmed when I plugged it in today and it stopped working. A quick look inside revealed two fried resistors above one of the output tube sockets.

I live miles from a tech, and thought that if it's simply a case of replacing the resistors and putting in some new tubes I'd have a go on my own first (I have done a few things inside this amp, like the R2 and Reverb mods, and know about basic amp safety).

Below are some gut shots. What have I fried and what do I need to replace them with?
Thanks in anticipation.
Ampguts002sm.jpg

Ampguts003sm.jpg

Ampguts005sm.jpg

Boogiebabies,
Thanks for the reply. The burnt resistors look like they are different types. Is it OK to replace both of them with the same type of 470 ohm 3 watt resistors?
Thanks

give andy a call at amps-tubes.com his services are 35% off right now i think, shipping a chassis from VA to him on the near west coast was only about 29 bucks. his username on here is monsta tone... or something like it.

Podicle said:
Boogiebabies,
Thanks for the reply. The burnt resistors look like they are different types. Is it OK to replace both of them with the same type of 470 ohm 3 watt resistors?
Thanks

Either 2 or 3W metal oxide. That's what should be in there. It's hard to tell what they were, but you need to have your bias
checked too.

Are you in VA ?

Thanks guys. I actually live in Australia, so shipping may be a bit costly! You guys have convinced me that I need to take it to a tech (I have no idea how to adjust bias), and I will do so later this week.

Also, on a related note, I read with interest about some people converting their Mark IIIs to a III+. I understand that this is something that Boogie does if you ship your amp to them, but obviously shipping is impractical from Australia. Does anyone have details of what is involved in this conversion, because if it's in getting fixed I may as well get everything else done to it at the same time (filter caps etc). It's already had the reverb mod and the R2 mod.

Cheers

After looking at it again those burnt resistors look like .5W carbon film. They are about 1.5W under rated.
On hiccup from a bad power tube could have taken them out. If you can get the resistors you can replace them easily
with a bit of solder. The reason I asked where you were located was I could have mailed you the resistors. I have plenty
of NTE 470 Ohm 1% 2W metal oxide's and they would be perfect perfect, but your not in Virginia. :cry:

Boogiebabies,
Thanks very much for your offer. Living in the US certainly would be cheaper when it comes to buying and maintaining guitars and amps!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back