Mark III vs. Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people tend to over exaggerate the differences in the mark iii's different stripes. I agree that there are differences, but they are mainly in the r2 channel and the response of the certain controls, not so much in tone. I have owned 4 mark iiis (2 coliseums, still own coliseum #2) and a V and have played ivs, and I much prefer the lead sound on the iii. The problem I have is that my ultimate lead settings that sound badass make the cleans plinky and gainy, and I will not compromise my gain setting :cool: so I just deal with it, no one cares anyways.

I've just been running the lead channel as a great crunch, which still gives me all the freedom to make that clean channel gorgeous. then I just kick in a BB for solos (and if you haven't tried it, do it..the BB over the mark series sounds deadly)

I think you cant go wrong with that trade+cash. I have a 1X12 Red Stripe and use a CE24 with the 5 way switch and use this as my main amp for my cover band as well as originals. I mainly used the lead channel and just backed off the volume of my guitar to clean it up. I also have been using the clean channel and just R2 with a BB Preamp for a boost (For leads) and I think it sounds pretty darn good. You will have to tweak the amp a bit but big deal, pretty simple setup. I say go for it.

Hey guys,

The guy offered to also pay for the amp flat out if I didn't want to trade. I was going to go for that option, but he suddenly disappeared, so I am still trying to sell my Mark IV. However, I found a guy selling a Green Stripe long head locally, checked it out, and got it for 750 cash!!!

Everything seems to be working great on this head. It took a bit of tweaking, but I got some good bedroom sounds going. Cant wait to bring it to my NJ home and crank it a bit. The bass control really needs to be set low so that you don't get flubby in the high gain settings. Once I figured this out, it sounded nice and powerful, very very similar to my mark iv.

Its strange, the lead sound without the EQ (i usually use a Vish shape) sounds really really good so far, and I only use the EQ to add a touch more highs and take out the mids a bit.

I definitely need to keep the volume 1 at around 5 so that the cleans are not as "plinky" and gainy. Good tips!!

I am definitely liking this amp, and it is a good less expensive option to my Mark IV, which had way too many options tonally for my taste! Mark III has a nice reverb too!! And this one has the R2 mod so I have a useable crunch channel. Sounds real nice!

Dre

Doc---Congrats on the new amp. I knew you'd dig it! 8)
You also got the amp at a steal of a price, and with R2 mod taboot!
Let us know what you think when you really get to let 'er rip back at home.
It gets pretty huge sounding with just a little bit of Master Volume! :twisted:

Thanks man! All of the tips on this forum really helped me make my decision!! I'll keep you posted!

Dre

Back