Mark III vs IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is such a subjective topic and is reminiscent of schoolyard conversations about who's dad could kick everyone else's dads ***... LOL. I love my MKIV however I do wish it would just relax and open up a more and let it's hair down. LOL I'm serious... the amp is very sweet but it needs about 2 shots of Tequila... some salt and a wedge of lime! I want a little more swagger in there... I suspect that's the quality that you MKIII boys are attempting to express here.

The MKIV is a sexy secretary that keeps wondering if she got the last fax out before she left the office. Very polite...sexy and reliable... can do it all!

The MKIII appears to be a pole dancer!

srf399 said:
This is such a subjective topic and is reminiscent of schoolyard conversations about who's dad could kick everyone else's dads ***... LOL. I love my MKIV however I do wish it would just relax and open up a more and let it's hair down. LOL I'm serious... the amp is very sweet but it needs about 2 shots of Tequila... some salt and a wedge of lime! I want a little more swagger in there... I suspect that's the quality that you MKIII boys are attempting to express here.

The MKIV is a sexy secretary that keeps wondering if she got the last fax out before she left the office. Very polite...sexy and reliable... can do it all!

Haha thats a very interesting way to put it!

Ha ha, yeah, that´s a great analogy.

The Mark III is more rebellious and has plenty of attitude and the Mark IV is more conservative and reserved, but has a dangerous side when it´s pissed off. Just like women.

It´s all a matter of taste which one you prefer.

I like both.

Fizzy Buzzy ? That's a new one on me! Possibly because I've been running all 5881's in the output since the get go. I run my presence at 6 to 8 depending on how loud the situation and what type of cab I'm using. Fizzy Buzzy is exactly the reason I've never had any use for a Recto or any type of celestion speaker. But again everybody has their own idea of great tone. How did I put it before "Tone is in the ear of the beholder"

srf399 said:

A sexy secretary is great for a while, but a pole dancer will keep you coming back! I'm digging my pole dancer.

Best analogy I've ever heard...this one is worthy of 'vault' status. Bravo!

Bullen said:
The Mark III is more rebellious and has plenty of attitude.
It´s all a matter of taste which one you prefer.
You've got it again Bullen, the III it exactly like me rebellious and has plenty of attitude :twisted: that why I like this amp so much.

srf399 said:

Perfection!

If you want to know how good sound a Mark III on the lead channel listen to this it Marco Sfogli:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZ2HBl008E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrNUOHtPQM
or listen to James Labrie Element of Persuation all the solos were recorded with a Mark III.

Marco got skilz!! Sweet tone, too. That is a rather refined pole dancer, there - must be from one of the clubs downtown :wink: Z

Nice playing... Very similar to my style and that sounds almost identical to my MKIV.. cept I do it in a church now during services LOL I love the nice run he did at the end... very nice smooth Holdsworth/Johnson cross type feel. Nice.

Zoner said:
Marco got skilz!! Sweet tone, too. That is a rather refined pole dancer, there - must be from one of the clubs downtown :wink: Z

It's probably one of those toose young 'I'm just trying to pay for college' dancers, and not the 'trying to support 3 kids who don't know their fathers and my coke habit' girls.

Ok... I watched the second video... He blows the doors off of me :) Nice playing... vert nice!

stevehollx said:
Zoner said:

It's probably one of those toose young 'I'm just trying to pay for college' dancers, and not the 'trying to support 3 kids who don't know their fathers and my coke habit' girls.

HAHA... :D

darkirish said:
If you want to know how good sound a Mark III on the lead channel listen to this it Marco Sfogli:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZ2HBl008E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrNUOHtPQM
or listen to James Labrie Element of Persuation all the solos were recorded with a Mark III.

After hearing this i have been trying to get the same basic sound with my mk III blue stripe at a lower volume (just like him)..It's so hard..It comes out way to sharp and not smooth enough..

my mk IV has it spot on.. tight,compressed and very smooth lead sound...any setting idea's..?

I even had the str 420's and the tung sol/ JJ preamp and it's still not smooth enough..

Anything i don't know about..

I shep. me too I got 6L6 str 420, EL34 442 and JJ ECC83 12AX7 preamp.
Here my setting on my III it a very smooth setting IMO, keep the presence at 0 and reverb at 8 anyway here it is:
frontphpur5.jpg

there's a Mark IV for sale in canada that would come down to $1580 shipping and taxes included. Pretty good shape with FC and new tubes and was modded so that tubes are easily biased.

worth it ? ... all this is in Canadian dollars

Just to mention that also like my presence knob at 8 with a delay and reverb at 8 it give me the tone that Petrucci got on czar of steel (on Sherinian cd) very similar.

Back