mark III tube question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
I'm running winged C 6L6's in the inside set of my Mark III
and JJ EL34's in the outer piar.
I keep hearing about EL34L's and now I'm hearing about the tungsol EL34B.
What's the difference between them and can the mark III run all of these El34's without burning a screen resistor?
I havea pair of KT-77's that I was also thinging of trying in the outer set as well.

Weird! I just asked the same about all 6L6's and also with KT88's in the outer sockets. Bizarre! I'm not sure about your question however.

C

Is your Mark III Simul Class?

There are 3 version's (in terms of wattage) of the Mark III:

85 Watt Simul Class - which can run 2 EL34's & 2 6L6's or 4 6L6's.

60 Watt - Which can ONLY run 4 6L6's

100 Watt (which'll have a half/full power switch (60/100watt)) - Which can ONLY run 4 6L6's

So, if you have a Simul Class head you can run 2 EL34's (in the outer sockets) NOT 4 tho!

The Manual's always helpful!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

thanks 2121313,
I already have the manual, and I know I have simul Class and I' am already running straight JJ EL34's in the outer slots. :lol:
I'm all set up to that point.

I'm more curious about the EL34L's and the EL34B's. I know with some other brands of amps (Peavey for one) the EL34L's burn screen resistors and you can't use them (Like with my JSX).
I've been reading reviews about these tungsol El34B's and friend of mine just got a new Splawn QR and it's loaded with them and he love's them.
I'm curious to know if it's safe to suse these other 2 "types" of EL34's with my Mrk III.

Oh, I gotcha!

I dunno, I'm no tech and haven't tried.

Safest bet is to call Boogie, they'll let you know exactly whats up OR you can email Euro Tubes and see what they say, they always provide a prompt detailed explanation of the pros & cons...

[email protected]

http://www.eurotubes.com/

thanks , I just emailed eurotubes. I know they carry a JJEL34L but Tungsol and Ruby are the only EL34B's that I'm aware off, so they might have a bias against those.
we'll see.

You might want to take his answer with a grain of salt; Bob can be kind of a fanatic about the E34Ls.

Bob's a good guy. He's 100% JJ, though.

I'm running SED 6L6GCs in the inner sockets, JJ KT77s in the outer sockets. It's tonal bliss.

I have a pretty fresh pair of Kt-77's .
what did they do to the tone of the amp?

Slap 'em in and find out!

They're give you that EL-34 grind and singing midrange but still maintain the 6L6 character of the amp. Thick, tight bottom-end. Glassy highs. A little earlier breakup (vs. 6L6). That's really the best I can describe it. I'm tired...

Throw them in, tweak a bit, walk away for an hour, come back and have a listen :)

I wouldnt recommend that you just "slap 'em in and find out" without checking the bias is safe.I get a lot of work from guys who blindly throw a set of power tubes in an amp and wonder why something fried,good for me but bad for you and your amp.

well the ones I have on hand I got from eurotubes and they were for my Rectoverb head.
Is the bias range much different between the mark III and the Rectoverb?

Latest posts

Back