Mark III Stripe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouiji1873

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the board but have played Boogies for about 20 years. I recently bought a Boogie Mark II (Blue Stripe) but I am doubting that it is a Blue at all. The serial number is missing under the chasis but the light next to the front power switch is amber/red in color and I have notice all red/blue/green stripes are blue in color. Any way like a part number or something to find out what the exact stripe the Mark III is?

Yeah, Mark III power light jewels are blue, but it could have been switched with a Mark II red jewel. The stripe should be over the power cord; sometimes blue stripes can fade over the years to a teal color, but the green stripes aren't that strong green on some amps anyway. If there is no stripe above the power cord it is a no-stripe/black/early model. If it's a blue stripe and you suspect it may be green or faded, all green stripes power sections are wired in pentode - otherwise it's a blue stripe and the color faded.

Under the power/standby switches, does it say "Mesa/Boogie Mark III" or "Mesa/Boogie Ltd."? If the former, it's definitely a later model--I don't think they started doing that until somewhere in blue stripe territory. If the latter, it could be earlier but still might be a blue.

Whoopysnorp said:
Under the power/standby switches, does it say "Mesa/Boogie Mark III" or "Mesa/Boogie Ltd."? If the former, it's definitely a later model--I don't think they started doing that until somewhere in blue stripe territory. If the latter, it could be earlier but still might be a blue.

Also true. Despite your lack of serial number blue stripes were both a production model amp following the reds, but also made to order later during green stripe production (mine was). I've seen a sparse few blue stripes with serial numbers as low as in the 16's and 18's - putting them in the red/purple era, and most ranging in the 20's (24-27xxx being green stripe era). That combined with the faceplate should give you a better idea of it's age. The late models had a serial sticker, where the early models had the serial stamped onto the back chassis.

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I have found a date on the Mark III chasis and it is from 8/88....does that probably make it a red stripe? Thanks for all the help.

I'd say it's more likely to be a blue, based on the fact that this amp dates from '88 and is a confirmed blue stripe: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/FBMarkIII.html

Back