Mark III speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of speaker came standard in the Mark III - black stripe.

There's no one answer, as they went through phases and often had options to substitute or upgrade. However, it was likely either an EV 12-L or a JBL M-12. Maybe a Celestion Classic Lead 80. Probably rebranded as "Mesa Black Shadow" in any event.

Looks like it's the EV 12-L. Is that a good one? Someone suggested that I swap it out for a vintage 30. I really dont know anything about this stuff, just starting to learn.

Thanks,
sean

The EV is a great speaker: i would keep it but the C90 is also ok in a combo cab. The V30 won't sound so nice in a combo imho.

Seanboy said:
Looks like it's the EV 12-L. Is that a good one? Someone suggested that I swap it out for a vintage 30. I really dont know anything about this stuff, just starting to learn.

Thanks,
sean

boogiemon said:
The EV is a great speaker: i would keep it but the C90 is also ok in a combo cab. The V30 won't sound so nice in a combo imho.

Seanboy said:

Thanks,
sean

The EV is pretty much THE speaker for Marks. If you have one, stick with it. A C90 is great, and extra great to pair with an EV. Vintage 30s do not work well with Marks IMO.

Thanks for everyone's help, it's nice being able to ask questions and not be treated like a complete idiot like I've had from other sites. I just got this Mark III and a sweet American Fender Strat. Ive been wanting some nice gear for awhile and finally got it!!

Thanks again, im sure I'll have several other questions too.

The Mark III was launched in 1985 in its black stripe version (some were also called "no stripe" or "black dot").
The standard speaker was the Eminence MS-12 Black Shadow and the EVM was an optional upgrade.

i have a purple stripe combo with the MS-12 and a vert metal grille with a combo c-90 and EV-12. i like the MS-12 in the combo the best ... it's my ears.

Seanboy said:
Thanks for everyone's help, it's nice being able to ask questions and not be treated like a complete idiot like I've had from other sites. I just got this Mark III and a sweet American Fender Strat. Ive been wanting some nice gear for awhile and finally got it!!

Thanks again, im sure I'll have several other questions too.

Welcome and Congrats on getting the nice gear you've been wanting.

Plenty of helpful people here.
You can use "search" to find/ get info too.

Back