Mark III - Sound difference between 6L6 and EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

Sorry for all the posts lately - I just got my MKIII so I'm going nuts of course.

Wondering what the sound difference would be if I use all 6L6s instead of EL34s in the outer sockets?

Thank you,
Chris

rippingrudy said:
Hi Everyone:

Sorry for all the posts lately - I just got my MKIII so I'm going nuts of course.

Wondering what the sound difference would be if I use all 6L6s instead of EL34s in the outer sockets?

Thank you,
Chris
This is the Class A/Simul-Class.
2 EL34s= 60 watts (Class A) and 2 EL34s+26L6s= 100watts (Simul-Class).
For the sound it a matter of taste if you like Class A or Simul-Class.

Thanks for the info.

What I hope to get comments on is the difference in sound in class A and simulclass if the amp ONLY has 6L6 - For example, will the clean be "better" or will the drive channels be "better" (or for that matter, "worse").

Just looking for opinions - I understand that it is subjective.

Thanks,
Chris

What stripe version is it?

The Simul output should be 15 Watts Class A on the outer sockets and 60 watts Class A/B on the inner. When in full Simul Class it's 75 watts.

Opinions are nothing. Trying is the only way you will know.
The cleans and bottom end will easily be better.

The Tube Store is in Hamilton and some Winged C's are only $ 39.95 a pair. You can do it Rudy !!!!

www.thetubestore.com

To say opinions are nothing is an opinion :D

It is green stripe with all options - Has a Black Shadow C90 in it and it's sitting on a Thiele with a brand new Delta Pro 12 (which has a thick, huge sound). It makes it's stage debut tonight.

Can you pick up directly from the tube store or is it internet sales only?

Thanks for the info.

Chris

Sorry, hearing for yourself is a fact. When you have 30 amps, let me know and you can be the Big Kahuna. I have plenty of other things that require my time. If I wanted to moan about working 60 hours a week, paying for two cars, two kids and a $ 375,000 dollar house while being an amp repair tech with a two month back log my opinion would be that I like to get to the point.

What gets me is the meaningless speculation over a $ 40.00 tube change.
Come on man, just buy the tubes and move on.

If you need the tubes, PM me your address and I will send them to you.

Boogiebaby - Stay off my threads please. You are an *******.

Maybe I can get an opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Chris

For a long time I've been running 4 6L6's in my simul MK III's. These were the old Mesa USA made STR 415's. Recently I tried some Sovtek made Svetlana EL 34's in the outer sockets. I've also tried some Sovtek made Svetlana 6L6's in the inner sockets.
IMO the STR 415's yield the fattest sound with the most headroom in both class A and simul-class modes.
The Svet EL 34's have less bass and more upper mid content and breakup a lttle quicker than the STR's in the outer sockets.
The Svet 6L6's have less bass and maybe a tad more treble than the STR's in the middle sockets.
Currently I'm running the STR's in the middle sockets, and the Svet EL 34's in the outer sockets.
All of these combinations of tubes sound pretty good. It's just a matter of what you like. Time and $ permitting there are few other 6L6's and EL 34's I want to try as well. The Tung Sol 5881's, JJ's, Mullards, EH and the Chinese made 6L6 that Mesa is currently using.
I got the Svetlana tubes from Lord Valve (NBS Electronics) They were about $26 a pair matched.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to go with EL34s in the outer sockets instead of 6L6s? I've always thought that what makes Mesa Boogies what they are is 6L6s as opposed to EL34s.

Thanks,
Chris

Just to try something different. I've been running 4 6L6's in my amps for years. It does change the character of the amp. I still think I like the 4 6L6's better. I'm going to run the 6L6/EL 34 combo for awhile before I try the 6L6's again.

From the Manual:

Picture1.jpg

Here the Manual: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

Yes, I read the manual before I purchased the amp. I asked about this on this board and was told on another thread that it is OK to use 6L6s in the outer sockets as long as they are "cooler". FWIW, this was confirmed by the guy at Eurotubes.

Back