Mark III Recording for Home Studio

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbking67

Reaction score
Can I take the signal from the "Direct" jack (some mesa amps call this "Slave") and run this safely into an input on my home recording system? I use a Delta 1010LT, but it has 2 XLR's for mics and then a bunch of Line level inputs. Ideally I'd like to go directly from the mesa into the delta without mic'ing up the amp.

Anybody got experience doing this kind of thing?

You can do that but it won't sound very good and the power amp and speaker will still be working, if what you're trying to do is record silently. Recording silently is a complicated and generally expensive issue.

I realize that the speaker will be active... that's okay. I just think it will require less gear. I really only have 1 quality microphone and I'd rather use that for vocals. I'm just doing some composing and bed tracks so it should be okay. I just didn't want to overload anything. I was thinking of buying a DI and recording directly, but if I can use even part of the amp's sounds it's that much easier.

maybe for the overdubs I'll mike up the amp and see what the difference is (I could record both channels at once).

I agree that you will not get the sound from your Boogie that it puts out when recording direct the way you propose. I really think you should get another microphone and record that way. I also have a Mark III combo and use a Shure SM57 for recording guitars and it sounds awesome. You can get this classic microphone used for less than 100$. Recording direct through a DI-box is of course an alternative but it's hard to get your recording to sound good. I know it is a problem for many of us to play your boogie loud at home but to get a good guitar sound you have to get the speakers to work fairly hard. Good luck!
DrBazooka

Mark III Combo Imbuya Red stripe Simul Class 11/87
Vox AC30 Top Boost 1964
Peavey Classic 30 2004
Gibson Les Paul x 4
Fender Strat x 3
Carvin DC400
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez Artist

Okay so I think you are right SM57 is inexpensive so I bid on one on fleabay. Always wanted one...

Thanks for the help!

Back