Mark III rack head VS Quad Vs Studio Pre pair

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cradleofflames

Reaction score
I have been back and forth on this so many times in the last few months that it's ridiculous.

I am going to use a rack there's no question about. The problem I'm having is deciding which way to go.

I have a Studio Pre and like that a lot but I can't set up the studio pre to have a good rhythm sound and lead sound. To have a lead sound clear enough to play rhythm on I have to set the lead drive very low and it ends up sounding like 2112. I play a lot of tensions (9ths, 11ths, & 13ths) on top of distorted major and minor chords.

I go to McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul, MN and they have a blue stripe Mark III on the main auditorium stage which I love. It's only problem is it's lack of volume on rhythm 2 which would make the R2 Volume Mod essential. Not only that chances are if I bought a Mark III I'd have it adjustable bias modded as well.

For those of you that have heard of the company Savage Audio is about 10 miles from my house so they do all my mod work. ((Burnsville, MN) you might recognize the place from the back of the new EV12L Classic)

What it comes down to is cost and the ability to get the tone I want not only that is it really worth the Mark III if I'm going to mod it so much.

Quad - $500-$700 + power amp - $500-$800
Mark III - $800-1000 + Mods - $200-$300
Studio Pre - $400-500 + power amp - $500-$800

I have a Marshall JMP 2203. At the moment I am switching between my Marshall's preamp and the Studio Pre with a GCX which sounds good but carrying it is impractical. The basic idea is with this is to get everything inside the rack.

I love the sound of EL34s so chances are I'll use a VHT poweramp with whatever preamp path I would choose.

I have heard the Studio Pre sounds better than the Quad is it true?

I have a Studio Pre and am unclear what the issue is with your clean vs lead channels. Can you explain a little more because I think the Studio Pre will do what you want if set right.

The Mark III and Quad are basically the same controls as the Studio with just expanded channels. It's a debate in personal taste as to whether the Quad or Studio is the better tone.

It has nothing to do with clean vs lead. I'm happy with the clean channel and the lead OR dirty rhythm sound I get out of it. The problem being is I can either set up the lead channel for dirty rhythm or lead not both.

To clarify: In order for the chords I play to still be distinct I have to set the lead drive far lower than I woulds for just playing lead on the channel.

Got it...sounds like you want a lesser gain tone for rhythms and more gain for lead. My suggestion then is to set your rhythm tone to your liking then use a boost pedal for the leads.

Also, the treble dial does a lot in controlling the gain. Try setting your treble dial lower while keeping the lead drive higher and add brightness back in with the EQ.

I think I'll go with the Mark III. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run even after whatever mods I'd have done. Not only that since I wouldn't be using a stereo setup anyways a stereo power amp would sit half unused. If I need additional channels (which I doubt) I could always use the Studio Pre in addition to the Mark III.

Latest posts

Back