Mark III - R2 mod - discuss ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
just picked this amp up last night - green stripe with the R2 mod. I understand that the mod allows volume control so that I can even out every thing and just have tone change - that is what i want.

it is not clear to me exactly how R2 and R1 are integrated and which settings afftect which channel.

looking for a nice clean setting for R1, dirtied up like ZZ Top for R2 and Santana on Lead mode ... all at once. is that possible ?

gonna be tough on the mark III. from what I've found you can get any two channels working pretty well. usually the lead and one of the rhythm channels. I use r1 for clean, my super hard on for dirty, and lead channel for my metal sound

rvschulz said:
just picked this amp up last night - green stripe with the R2 mod. I understand that the mod allows volume control so that I can even out every thing and just have tone change - that is what i want.

it is not clear to me exactly how R2 and R1 are integrated and which settings afftect which channel.

looking for a nice clean setting for R1, dirtied up like ZZ Top for R2 and Santana on Lead mode ... all at once. is that possible ?

I have a green simul myself, and my short answer is sure, if you have a pedal to get your ZZTop ...but I don't think that's what you're asking. So the better answer is "kind of," but not really. And so much depends on what your guitar is and if your mark has the GEQ.

With humbuckers to drive the R2 harder, try setting your gain1 (first volume) at 8, maybe even higher. This will give you good gain potential for the R2 which you will need to get a middy ZZ sound. BUT, that mid-heavy/lopped highs will affect your clean R1. So try getting the that gibbons sound in your R2, playing with the gain and tone stack (G-EQ "out").

Once you get there, or close, go to R1 and see what you have. My guess is that you'll have to play withn the guitar's tone control and adjust the MK's tone stack again to try and get the best compromise between R1 (for a good clean) and R2 (gritty ZZ). This is your biggest challenge simply because of the shared tone controls.

As for the Lead channel, easy. Assign the GEQ to this channel only and use the graphic, along with the Lead gain knob, to shape your "Santana" tone.

FWIW, I love the R2 channel, but I don't use it like you are trying to. I use it mostly for mild crunch, and the R1 is my pristine clean "Fender" vibe. OTOH, you can most certainly get a great crunch and dial in a ZZ-ish tone on your R2 by gaining up your first volume and adjusting amp knobs accordingly, but this, as I said, will affect that clean R1. To be fair, the MKIII really isn't true 3-channel amp. Think more of a 2 channel amp with 3 voices to choose from. Hope this helps a bit. :)

Edward

I don't have a green stripe so I don't know the exact answer to your question (but, please let me know if you find it out).
I bought a red stripe on purpose, since I was told it has the better R2 of the Mark III's (everyone's opinion is as valid as everybody else's, so I may be wrong).

So I understand that you have the R2 volume modification, like the one Mike Bendinelli does on Mark III's (he did that on mine).

If this is the case, you just set your R1 and your lead channel as desired. Then, you raise the R2 Volume until you get the gain you want.

On another note, I think you will get a better Santana tone with the EQ disengaged.
Just my opinion.
Regards

this is something i can get used to ...

spent my lunch time back at home dialing in various sounds to see where it comes from, what affects what.

i decided to get a nice clean, then see what i could shake out from there. what i have noticed is that i like the EQ on all the time with a V shape except for the bass (lowest) which i have turned down.

I'm getting a lot of different response as i fiddle with my guitar controls - a 335 with a classic 57 in the nect and a BB2 in the bridge. The classic 57 is awesome in the clean and solo modes, while the BB2 has good response in the R2.

Anyone care to send me some sample settings for humbuckers or single coils as I think I will like my strat through this too - i would appreciate it.

rvschulz said:
this is something i can get used to ...

spent my lunch time back at home dialing in various sounds to see where it comes from, what affects what.

i decided to get a nice clean, then see what i could shake out from there. what i have noticed is that i like the EQ on all the time with a V shape except for the bass (lowest) which i have turned down.

I'm getting a lot of different response as i fiddle with my guitar controls - a 335 with a classic 57 in the nect and a BB2 in the bridge. The classic 57 is awesome in the clean and solo modes, while the BB2 has good response in the R2.

Anyone care to send me some sample settings for humbuckers or single coils as I think I will like my strat through this too - i would appreciate it.

OK, since you're asking ...but remember that your mileage may vary :)

Vol: 6-6.25
Treb: 6 (pull for treb shift)
Bass: 4 (pull for bass shift)
Mid: 4
Pres: 2
GEQ: assigned for Lead only as my R1 is very crisp with solid bottom, defined mids, and nice chime/shimmer on top with just the tone stack on hand. I make only very minor changes in the treb and bass knobs depending on which guitar I use, but this is my "center" tone for R1/R2

Lead Channel: Gain is anywhere between 6-8 depending on guitar or music. The GEQ (can't remember the freq's, so the faders L to R):
1: two bars above center
2: .5 bar above center
3: center
4: 1 bar above center
5: .5 bar below center

I adjust the bass (1) and treb (5), most of the time, but only just a bit, depending on the Strat, Tele, or LP. And I will scoop the mid (3) a little if I need a bit of "chug."

Oh, and the other point to consider is that I've "gained down" the amp a bit with a few 12AT7s in lieu of the ax7s ...so that will clearly change the character (for the better, of course ;) ). Hope this helps you somewhat :)

Edward

just wanted to test it with the strat with the clean/rock settings from the manual online - i figured i would get a decent clean, okay gain, then put it down and go back to my old faithful 335.

never put the strat down. i can't believe a better amp has been made. it out fendered the twin i used to play, and it distorted nicely. I actually got almost every sound i needed without changing guitars or amp settings - just twiddled the knobs and pickup switched.

simply unbelievable.

i need to breakout my old LP and see how much range i can get. i know the strat was giving as much range as i need to gig.

pulled the bass and volume - gain 7, treble 7, bass 4, mid 5 - master gain 7, master vol 5

Latest posts

Back