Mark III question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iamlegend

Reaction score
Hi I have a Mark III (red stripe) with a V twin running in front of it, and I cant get good rhythm tone out of it every time i adjust it the tone is either to muddy or has to much treble. I am going for a He is legend type sound, I try to use alot of different chords in my riffs ( not just power chords) so I want alot of definition. does anyone have any setting suggestions

Because I really like the blues tone that you get out of a v twin and it fattens up the clean alot

one more thing to add i am playing In alot of D standard and drop C so I need tone that will be punchy and articulate with low tunings

What setting are you using on the markIII. If I were you I would leave the Vtwin out. You can try to lower the presence so the tone will get less trebly. Or you can lower the high and the high mid on your graphic equaliser.

Iamlegend said:
Hi I have a Mark III (red stripe) with a V twin running in front of it, and I cant get good rhythm tone out of it every time i adjust it the tone is either to muddy or has to much treble. I am going for a He is legend type sound, I try to use alot of different chords in my riffs ( not just power chords) so I want alot of definition. does anyone have any setting suggestions

THe Mark 3 by itself is a more articulate sound than the V twin. I'd suggest leaving the V twin out as well. To keep the Mark 3 sounding tight I'd also recommend not pulling the Master for "deep" mode. But Do pull the Lead Master "bright" ANd tweak the presence with the presence control. As far as other settings. Keep the bass at 2 or 3 and push the mids and trebleto atleast 5

Iamlegend said:

I don't know this sound you're reaching for. But if I read between the lines, try this:

- R1 with gain set at 7-8 (more for breakup, of course)
- All pots pushed in
- Treb modest at around 3-4
- Mid low at 0-3
- Bass at 4-5
- Pres: 0-2
- G-EQ try flat with the 750hz dropped just a bit to almost the first mark below center (tailor to taste ...too much attenuation and you get "scooped" tone), and the 6K even lower than that.

You should be able to get excellent indiv note detail in R1. You can also try this in the Lead channel, but dial back the first gain stage to 5-6, and experiement from there. What guitar, or rather, what type of pickups, are you using?

Edward

thanks paul your settings are great but if anyone else has other settings say for a darker sound please share them

the pickups I am using are schecter super rocks (tom anderson clones) and I am going for is a High gain I guess you could say im going for a southern rock style with more chordal riffs different time signatures and no shredding

Iamlegend said:
the pickups I am using are schecter super rocks (tom anderson clones) and I am going for is a High gain I guess you could say im going for a southern rock style with more chordal riffs different time signatures and no shredding

Gotcha. Ok, then you're obviously on the Lead channel then. With buckers, I'd keep the pots pushed in, except maybe try the treb shift pulled as this adds a bit of "edge" and definition to the entire tone. Compensate by keeping the 6K slider in check to tame the upper end and "darken" the tone to your liking. Also try bumping the next slider, though, a bit up as this will add some mid-voiced definition. And don't dump the 750Hz slider ...you'll want to keep some (much?) of those mids for the southern rock voice. Cutting a bit of the 2nd slider from the left (can't remember what freq that is) will also do much to rid you of the muddy bottom. Tell me how that works :)

Edward

Edward could you possibly give a diagram or picture of your idea. i am kind of confused as to what you think the eq should look like

Iamlegend said:
Edward could you possibly give a diagram or picture of your idea. i am kind of confused as to what you think the eq should look like

Try and get as close to the sound you want with the G-EQ completely flat (i.e. centered). Then try this:

80Hz : center
240 : center or just below center (about the thickness of the plastic knob)
750 : same as 240Hz
2200 : center or just above center (try it at thickness of knob)
6600 : below center at thickness of the knob or more

Of course, these are ballpark settings, and impossible to guess what it would sound like with your guitar, pickups, target tone. But generalities "can" be made, so give it a whirl. Notice, too, that I am starting from pretty close to flat ...a little goes a long way, IMHO. Not to mention Mesa's sliders are really sensitive to small movements.

Cut some more 240Hz should the bottom get flubby. And remember to keep the bass knob set modestly (I'd try below 4) as the bass knob adds bass at the preamp level which can get muddy really fast. It's a balancing act, but I like keeping the bass knob fairly low, and if need be adding bottom at the GEQ (which is after the preamp) as it sounds tighter and more focused for me.

The 750 is really important for getting a healthy mid voice a la southern rock. Cut too much here and you get into that "scooped" modern-rock/metal sound.

The 2200 slide does much to add note definition ...how "not" to get lost in the mix. A mild nudge up can get the tone "out in front" while adding minimal brightness or volume.

The 6K slider is self-explanatory ...your treble. And so if you want a
darker tone, here's where you'll want to cut.

And forgot to add: like the others, I'd go straight into the amp ...sans any pedals.

If I'm off in tonal left field, sorry ...gave it a shot. Let me know if this gets you in your ballpark, though. :)

Edward

I gotmthe darker sound i wante but drop c still sounds muddy my guitar is currently not set up for drop c could that be the problem?

trickyrick said:
scottcrud said:
once you get your sound you can use this to record your settings.

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/

That template is so sweet! Is there one for a MKIV?

Yeah!!! Is there?

Now I think one of these guys that is savvy with this kind of stuff should make one and post it up somewhere for us. I mean heck, I have seen 3D cad stuff why not make the template? How hard would it be to make the little program that make the switches dials and sliders go to where you call them out? I really have no idea. I am not into that programming stuff. I am just an advanced user. Actually, shouldn't Mesa pay someone to come up with the software to do all their amps? I think that'd be really cool. Then they could have it on their website for people to download.

Latest posts

Back