Mark III or Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Johnson, I am really looking forward to playing and exploring it. It seems that you can make so many tweeks depending on your mood for the day that every time you fire it up it's like a new amp.

I liked the one from NC because it had the EV in it and it was a version B as well.

My original intention was to get some Imbuya and build a new enclosure. I wouldn't have a problem building it to Mesa'a exact specs, down to the dovetail spacing. Then I was going to sell the old cab on e-bay to make up for the wood and wicker costs, and still probably come out ahead. I don't intend on selling the amp, so I would never have to advertise it as an original boogie ( Not that I would ever try and mislead someone like that anyway). At one point I acctually thought about starting an amp remodling bussines. Exotic wood enclosures to exact specs. all dovetail joinery, hand rubbed finish, custom handle/feet/grill options. It would be cheaper then Mesa, shipping would just be for the cab without the head so it wouldn't be too expensive.

Just something I was kicking around and then realized that it would piss off all of the wood cab owners out there and devalue there equipment and it just wouldn't be right. SO I will only do my own.

I couldn't believe the 1990 one from Brooklyn went for 1499 at the last minute. these things really hold there value. I am totaly pumped. I just hope the C-90 can handle the onslaught I intend on putting this thing through. My Nomad had one and it seemed to handle it pretty well with a processor in front of it. We'll see. Later.

Trickyrick, what would you hypothetically charge for a markII headshell (not combo) in quilted maple with a wicker front, including handle and feet? You might have your first customer right here :lol:

Dude, there is no way I can answer that question at this time. There are so many variables. Wood is a traded commodity and $$$$ fluctuates daily. The wicker is available at moderate prices. My problem is that I do not have templates to accuratly copy a cabinet. The first one I build I would need the acctual cab to take measurments from and build templates for future projects. Once I do one, reproducing them wouldn't be an issue.

I should start a new thread and ask peoples opinions on this. Would it be wrong to reproduce cabinets and slap the Mesa/Boogie emblem back on it? Would the original amps go down in value? Would there be a legal issue? Is it just unethical? Am I over reacting?

I love woodworking, and I'm good at it. Been doing it my whole life. I'm 43 but feel like I'm 23. I would love to do something like this. All I would have to do is my own Cabinet. Post pictures, and I think the orders would come rolling in. What does everyone think about this?

Well I had no idea that wood was in such a constant state of fluctuation :oops: But none the less I would be interested in one if you ever do get this operation off the ground. First I would visit www.vintageboogie.com as they are already doing the very thing that you are looking to do. IMHO I don't think that making the cabinets is a crime...I would let the buyer put their own boogie badge on if that is what they desire. Goodluck!

Thats just what I was thinking. It's certainly no crime to build a cabinet for whomever wanted one. If you choose to slap a name on it that is certainly your choice. I mean after all, look at the way boogie started. Modifying a Fender amp.

I will research the logistics of it some more. At first it would be more difficult because I would need the dimensions. After I got them, all that I would need is a request for a model and wood type and the amp owner could swap out the componants themselves. Shipping would be minimal. All of the holes would be pre drilled, you would even be able to upgrade handles to the newer more contemporary kinds. The options are endless! I have loads of oak that I took from a 150 year old barn that cleaned up great. It is so unique. I have loads of ambrosia maple that has streaks of pink and gray with beetle holes throughout. They could be made to look like furniture. I am going to do mine out of imbuya. I will post pictures and get feedback. Although, the cabinet I am getting looks to be mint with the newer tolex mesa uses, so it may be hard for me to give that up. I will see when I see. Late.

Latest posts

Back