Mark III no need for LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
So I've been gasing for a the new lonestar either the classic or special. Problem is with my Mark III simul do I really need this subtle variation in tone or do I cover this ground already? While the clean on the III is not as good as the classic it's still pretty **** good and the 6l6/el34 gives me great headroom and flexibility. The special seems unique because it is voiced with el84 tubes and is pure class A. But in the class A mode on the III don't I get close to the same tone?

I know I need to play it to know, but my gut is the III is close enough.

I don't know I'm confused. Is there really new must have technology in the class A LSS?

so I went down to gc and played a lsc and lss for about 2 hrs. Both great amps, but I came home and played my mark iia for another hr and I'm sorry my iia is just as nice clean with an outboard reverb plugged in. Probably just my taste but the fact that the iia is more raw and organic appeals to me. Lonestars are great just not different enough for me to buy one based on my current gear. Starting from scratch I would by
the classic. I've determined I'm a 6l6 100w guy.

I feel your pain for whatever reasons we feel from time to time “have to change it up a bit” and once that sets in it’s a compulsion you can’t shake. I don’t own a Mark III but have played a few and I like the dynamics of that amp just very lively and organic sounding. But the LS’s are sweet.

Great now you got me going!

the one big thing I notice different between the Marks and the LS is that the lonestar doesn't have the big midrange bump that the Marks do. That makes the LS much better for me clean, since I really don't like the honky kind of tone that the Marks seem to give on many bridge humbuckers.

Agreed, but with the burst bucker pro on my les paul in the neck position the cleans coming from my mark IIA and III are pretty sweet. I like to dial up the bass and bring down the mid. The low end is very tight and the overall tone is warm with lots of headroom. The natural breakup is pretty cool on the IIA. How much of the LS tone is from the size of the cabinet and the speaker?

carlosasi said:
So I've been gasing for a the new lonestar either the classic or special. Problem is with my Mark III simul do I really need this subtle variation in tone or do I cover this ground already? While the clean on the III is not as good as the classic it's still pretty **** good and the 6l6/el34 gives me great headroom and flexibility. The special seems unique because it is voiced with el84 tubes and is pure class A. But in the class A mode on the III don't I get close to the same tone?

I know I need to play it to know, but my gut is the III is close enough.

I don't know I'm confused. Is there really new must have technology in the class A LSS?

Well...yes, you need to play it and decide for yourself.

I have a Mk IV and a LSS. Love both. But I would describe the clean on the Mk IV - while being great - as somewhat more sanitary than that of the LSS. The LSS clean is just more alive and has more depth.

The lead channel on the IV is far nastier and more interesting than that of the LSS. So each has its strengths.

Dave

You describe the Mark IV clean as sanitary which from what I've read is a trend in all Mesa's Leading up to the LS. The early Mark's while being more raw are more open and less sanitary. This is even true comparing my IIA to my Mark III. The III is less obnoxious. LOL. My original question was tied to the comparison of simulclass and it's relationship to the LSS class a circuitry. Are they similar? In the course of this thread I've realized my IIA has a really nice clean channel.

A very educated board member aptly described the Lonestar Classic as a Mark V because of the evolution of the Mark 1 in the Lonestar's bloodlines. Perhaps Mesa balanced the raw and the refined for this LoneMark?

What people usually associates with class A has more to do with other factors which are:

- EL84 natural crispness in tone, with very detailed treble.

- Cathode biased output sections, with lots of overtones and an overall warmer tone. Also a slight earlier breakup.

- This is more for AC30 type of amps: No negative feedback loops (NFL). The LSC does have a NFL.

Your MarkIIa is a completely different animal. It uses bigger tubes (EL34 and 6L6) and a fixed bias output section.

Those are big differences...

I personally think the mark III is superior all the way around compared to the lonestar. The mark seems to get more like the classic fender clean to me and certainly better dirty sounds. Just more colorful. The lonestar is a good amp and does have a mark series lineage but the real mark is what I like. Everything is in the tone settings on these.

Back