Mark III newbie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
I just bought a Mark III simuclass w/eq (not sure of the stripe :? ) on ebay, wont be here till the 29th:( Anyway in the meantime can you guys give me some settings to get started with for when it gets here? I know these amps need a ton of tweaking so I was hoping you could give me some good settings for the first day it gets here.

I want to have a thick, tight crushing rhythm tone like lamb of god and heavy dream theater and want a nice warm liquidy lead tone. Cleans aren't very important for the band I'm in now. I also wouldn't mind being able to switch to a less high gain crunchy sound and roll back my guitar volume for cleans though.

I'll be running it through a orange 2X12 cab. I'm under the impression that these amps don't need a boost for modern metal tones right? Also could someone explain the different stripes to me? I'm stoked for this amp and can't wait for it to come in. Thanks!

Congrats on the amp. Try this for a heavy tone:

Volume: 8
Treble: 8 (pull if more gain desired)
Bass: 2
Middle: 2
Master: 3-4 Pulled
Lead: 7 Pulled
Lead Master: 4-5 Pulled
Presence: 3

EQ sliders from left to right: 75%/65%/20%/80%/90% (basically a V pattern)

A few things to note. The treble dial controls gain quite a bit (pull it for a boost). Keep bass and mid dials low and use the EQ to flavor the tone. Bump up 750 slider for creamier lead tones. Presence will control the bightness quite a bit so experiment with that.

On the stripes...they are different generations of the amp starting with black to purple, red, blue, and green. It would seem a majority of people desire the red and blue stripes but all stripes are very close in tone.

Enjoy!!!

you can try these settings if you want. they'll give you a tight, extremely punchy in your face tone. though they'll be pretty freakin loud. you can adjust the volumes to taste. of note is that I tend to prefer my lead master to be higher than the overall master.

volume: 8
treble: 7
Bass: 1-1.5
Mid: 3
Master: 7
Lead Drive: 7 (pulled)
Lead Master: 3
Reverb: 4.5
Presence: 1-1.5

eq was kinda like this:

80: top line at middle of slider
240: bottom of slider at top of middle line
750: bottom of slider at top of bottom line
2200: top of slider at bottom of top line
6600 top of slider a hair below bottom of middle line

if you want to hear what that sounds like, you can go to www.soundclick.com/shrek and there are a bunch of clips there. all those clips were made with the same settings, all I did was raise and lower the guitar's volume or switch pickups in the case of hot for teacher...

So I won't need to boost this amp then? I'd be happy if I didn't. I'm so stoked, I can't wait to have some serious chugging. Right now I boost my laney gh50L with a maxon od-9 and I'm just not getting the low end that the mark III has in it's voicing. These settings cut in a band mix as well?

Check this out and yes, welcome to the club!! :)

Marshall.jpg

bluesymetal said:
So I won't need to boost this amp then? I'd be happy if I didn't. I'm so stoked, I can't wait to have some serious chugging. Right now I boost my laney gh50L with a maxon od-9 and I'm just not getting the low end that the mark III has in it's voicing. These settings cut in a band mix as well?

boosting definetly won't be necessary. although, I use a zvex super hard on for a slight boost for solos, with the lead channel as my rhythm, and I have a volume pedal I use for cleans. these amps have gain galore on their own though. check out my soundclick and listen to the killswitch song I did. thats with the open back cab and no boost. you'll also find that on its own, that the mark III will be kind of boxy sounding. but in a band setting, its really hard to have the mark III not slice through the mix.

Schmoog said:
bluesymetal said:

boosting definetly won't be necessary. although, I use a zvex super hard on for a slight boost for solos, with the lead channel as my rhythm, and I have a volume pedal I use for cleans. these amps have gain galore on their own though. check out my soundclick and listen to the killswitch song I did. thats with the open back cab and no boost. you'll also find that on its own, that the mark III will be kind of boxy sounding. but in a band setting, its really hard to have the mark III not slice through the mix.

Awsome thats what I was hoping to hear that this amp will be. Wheres your soundclick though? i dont see it and want to check it out.

ahhh tracking number said it's finally in jersey, should be here tommorow, can't wait to shred on this thing!

Well the mark III came in on friday and it's awsome. At first it sounded really thin, then I tried some of your settings, helped me out a lot. I've done my own litttle tweaks and it's really getting where I want it to be. Lot of feedback at high gain levels and high volume, but my ISP handles that. One thing I like a lot about this amp is it takes pedals up front really well. The ISP kills the feedback but not the sustain, I don't have to set it as high with this amp as I did with others, so it works a lot better. I use my maxon od-9 as a solo boost and it takes that very well too, with no added feedback! All my other amps would go nuts when I turned this on. The low end on this amp is just crushing as well, especially with the deep pulled. Best of all it responds so well to my playing, I'm really really happy with this amp. I have a feeling I'll be keeping it for a long time.

I recommend a slight boost of some type - push the front end a bit. It really brings out the beast in Ch.2

Back