Mark III/IV class A or AB for blues???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcamargo99

Reaction score
I love my III's feel/tone more than any other amp I've ever tried. It is an excellent Blues amp. Being primarily a Marshall player for over 3 decades, I always seemed to compare everything I played through to them. Then I ran across a blue stripe III. The III's have that "pushed tubes" feel (some call it sag, squish,etc) that the old non-master volume Marshalls have. I've had 3 JCM800's and they have that feeling too, but not at any sane volume levels. You really have to get really loud to feel it. Forget the Non-MV's, I have permanent damage (ringing) in my ears from them. I wish I could tell you whether I like the class A or simul better, but I love them both. I like the feel/tone of the simul most, but I find myself switching it to class A when I want more powertube feel/tone when jamming out. I mainly use humbuckers and set the clean channel for some dirt (similar to an old Fender Tweed), a modded TS based pedal for more crunch (thin Lizzy, early Aerosmith, etc), and the Lead channel for...lead (80's AC/DC, VH, etc).

Either way, you can't go wrong with either class...they're both great.

I don't mean to change the topic, but I noticed you had an Epi Dot. What are your impressions of it? I've been eyeing one at a local store, but haven't picked one up yet.

Back